Released - Neighborhood from Hell V2

For in-development or completed ZDoom projects
Forum rules
Got a cool project idea but nothing else? This forum is NOT for you! Put it in this thread instead!
Please read the full rules for more details.

Released - Neighborhood from Hell V2

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 pm

This is a remake of Doom 2's MAP16 Suburbs. It follows the same style of my previous map, After the Holocaust.
Extremely non-linear gameplay full of optional areas to explore with a sandbox felling. You can enter inside any building of the map. Explore all the houses to find supplies, and find your way out of this hell on earth.

In these pictures you can see a comparison between the original areas and my interpretations of them:

Download link
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17011
Last edited by Sergeant_Mark_IV on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Re: WIP - Neighborhood from Hell

Postby Mr. Chris » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Looks really nice!
Mr. Chris
Ask me about Oblige

Postby Enjay » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm

A map based on "Suburbs" that actually looks like a suburb? Unpossible!!!!11111one

Seriously, I really liked the look and feel of AtH and so I'm looking forward to this too. The cars have improved a lot but they do still look a little cartoony. However, Doom is never going to have hugely convincing sector-made vehicles and they are probably about as good as it is possible to get. The buildings look great and are interesting interpretations of the fairly abstract structures from the original map.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby mckracken » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Love these remakes!
the sky texture from DOOM should be noted - its SUNDOWN there not overcast. Besides you did overcast in holocaust!

And why dont you use the cars from "Armagedoom"? They look great.
mckracken

Postby FDARI » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:04 pm

The cars look quite funny to me. They're quite well made, but something about those (rear view) mirrors makes me think of them as poorly constructed butterflies, or metal bumblebees. Which makes me quite happy.

On the other hand: Nice map! Nice screeniess anyway.

The comparison shots made me think (as I am wont to do) of the impression the original doom maps actually give. Back in the day, they were perhaps as convincing, and they still work in doom, but they don't look like the things they represent. At all. Like so many other games, it presents you with symbolic representation. Brick block with dark patches = city structure. White little box with red cross = health provider. Chocolate bar = points.

This easily accepted shortage of detail made me think of dreams. Sometimes my dreams are set in "real" or realistic locations, which allows me to compare a few impressions and details with reality. Dreams, I find, hold few elements at a time, give little detail, and somehow let you know how to perceive the elements you are presented with. My dreams pay little attention to light sources (even if I have dreamt that I cannot see what's happening, the unseen events seem to be "narrated" visually, just with the awareness that "I" am not seeing it). If the sky appears, it tends to be an undefined darkish overhang. Night, overcast - unless it is important, I won't know or care. Also, dream layouts usually skip a few locations, misplace some and add others.

You may have seen this coming for a while: The original doom maps feel like dream degenerations.

And your screenshots look to me like Chaos-invasion Before/After comparisons. "This used to be somebody's suburban garage. Now it's a vaguely defined symbol of its past, teetering on the edge of limbo."

Off topic? Just a little, I hope.
FDARI
Melbourne is actually pronounced Mel-Byn, as though it were a wizard.

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:44 am

Now I am learning how to use portals to make the roofs.

Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Postby perfectpitchrob » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:22 pm

I was secretly hoping this map 16 remake was going to get made after being very impressed with the downtown one. Looks great so far!
perfectpitchrob

Postby Ethril » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Oooohh...
Pretty.

(You're going to make Map15, right?)
Ethril
F1

Postby mckracken » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:59 pm

hmm when i look at the original pics - even for 1994 this looks like a real bare bones rush job.
mckracken

Postby Zdoomer1337 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:02 pm

You should make full level packs
Zdoomer1337

Postby Vaecrius » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:48 am

Definitely looking forward to this.

I assume it will have similar oh look this is pretty quietomgwtftheyreeverywhereaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gameplay to the original?
Vaecrius
Team Bad Allocation, blast off at the speed of light!

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Kaal979 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:49 am

Superb style - perfect for the n64 and
dn3d monster replacers and weapon packs.
Btw - the daikatana game has exquisit
skyscraper backgrounds (unburning)!
Kaal979
Priv. Paula

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Almost done. I'm going to release it tomorrow.

Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Postby ChronoSeth » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Are all of the buildings enter-able, or are the interiors of some just eye-candy?

Anyway, those comparison screenshots are mind-blowing. I've never been able to make any connection whatsoever between the buildings in suburbs and real-life stuff. :shock:
ChronoSeth
You are totally unique... just like everyone else.

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Yes, you can enter inside ALL buildings to search for supplies. (except background buildings behind uncrossable fences. I just added them to don't add a simple plain wall and make everything more realist)
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Next

Return to Projects