[CHALLENGE] Mapping By Music

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: [CHALLENGE] Mapping By Music

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I've started on my map for this theme. It's a really nice ambient track, nice choice!
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Well, there's good news for anyone working on this or anyone who wants to jump in on this round: I think that, because of the holidays, I'm going to extend this round through NEXT Sunday instead of just this one. Double the work time!
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:Well, there's good news for anyone working on this or anyone who wants to jump in on this round: I think that, because of the holidays, I'm going to extend this round through NEXT Sunday instead of just this one. Double the work time!
I dont have holidays here in Spain :(
Zero X. Diamond

Then hey, you get free extra time! What a bargain!
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

What, Extension!? But I already finished.
http://www.mediafire.com/?papbq2l1nl481pe
Oh well, enjoy!
Zero X. Diamond

Sgt. Shivers wrote:What, Extension!? But I already finished.
http://www.mediafire.com/?papbq2l1nl481pe
Oh well, enjoy!
Oh man, great job this time around! A marked improvement in terms of architecture and decoration. I really liked the rings of fire in the outdoor courtyard area, and the weird, freaky sound that came from some of the walls that opened genuinely freaked me out the first time it happened. Easily your best I've yet seen.
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

This may well be, in some sense, my first map. Since I have finally made a Doom level (that is more than a square) where you can play from start and actually get to the level exit.

I really don't feel cut out for this mapping thing. I take forever just to get "something" while you lot are making stuff look good. But it might be in part because my "something" is rather unusual. Or perhaps it is as much the other way around; I do unusual stuff because it's what I feel that I can bring to the table.

Enough ado. Perhaps with a week extra I could improve on this, yet how? I'd much rather see what you make of it. I had fun making it, and it was interesting to achieve something close to my goals for once.

/ado

File: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... cfdari.pk3
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

FDARI wrote:This may well be, in some sense, my first map. Since I have finally made a Doom level (that is more than a square) where you can play from start and actually get to the level exit.

I really don't feel cut out for this mapping thing. I take forever just to get "something" while you lot are making stuff look good. But it might be in part because my "something" is rather unusual. Or perhaps it is as much the other way around; I do unusual stuff because it's what I feel that I can bring to the table.

Enough ado. Perhaps with a week extra I could improve on this, yet how? I'd much rather see what you make of it. I had fun making it, and it was interesting to achieve something close to my goals for once.

/ado

File: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... cfdari.pk3
It's pretty good for a first map, but I found it to be slightly cluttered and some of the textures seemed out of place. The level did go very well with the music, so props for that!

EDIT: If possible, would I be able to recommend "The Instinct" from Killer instinct for the next song? I think it would be cool to see some maps set to it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

My apologies for the bump, but I think this idea should really stick around. How about someone tries to make a map around this song?
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

wildweasel wrote:My apologies for the bump, but I think this idea should really stick around. How about someone tries to make a map around this song?
Find a Midi/MOD of it and I'll give it a shot.

I was gonna bump this topic with a level based around "Peace Sells" by Megadeth but this is a much better reason to bump.
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

I'm no mapper, but I'll try this and post my results around thursday...

EDIT No. 2: I really need to stop toasting from my iTouch, I will not edit this anymore. :/
Zero X. Diamond

Whoops! I kind of forgot about this. Do what the man said up there, and hopefully I'll have something back on track for everybody at the end of the period.
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

Whoops didn't see bottom of OP post... I broke the rules! :oops:

Done, too bad I couldnt convert the music in this wad a smaller file... Ah well.

Music is an 8-Bit remix MP3 of Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5q3rkB8py4 <- For source

I might not continue this wad

FEATURES
This map is 4 player compatible
This map is deathmatch compatible
This map contains no custom decorate
This map contains no custom textures
This map is difficulty compatible
Beginning of map revolves around MAP01, but further on, doesnt
This map contains 3 hidden secrets

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?jv344gsypw3n76m <-update1

GLITCHES
Spoiler:
SECRET LOCATIONS
Spoiler:
Enjoy! :)
Last edited by FireHusky on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Hey, that was a pretty cool map. Would be a nice first stage for a megawad.
Getting the super shotgun so early kinda made the level too easy, I think replacing it with a chaingun could work.
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Hey, that was a pretty cool map. Would be a nice first stage for a megawad.
Getting the super shotgun so early kinda made the level too easy, I think replacing it with a chaingun could work.
Wow, thanks! :)
Also, made an update and took your suggestion

Return to “Levels”