[CHALLENGE] Mapping By Music

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Guardsoul

Re: [CHALLENGE] Mapping By Music

Post by Guardsoul »

Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Soul wrote:Ok guys, I have just finished my map. A bit small and with a decent level of detailing (But it can be done much better and I dont have too much time to add all the detail that I want :( )

http://www.mediafire.com/?bpopgazl4w66oo8

Btw, do you always gonna be the guy that upload the new music or does it changes to the winner of each round?
Nice! That's a really solid little map.

As for the music, probably will just keep uploading it myself. The original plan had been to assign a "winner" and have them pick it, but after the dreadful turnout the first round had I figured I'd just altogether drop the pretense of any sort of contest and just sort of look at it as a challenging little exercise in map design.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Can you upload some more atmospheric music next? It'd be cool to see people come up with more suspenceful maps!
Zero X. Diamond

I was definitely thinking something along those lines. I'll have a new song for everybody on Sunday.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Nice :grr:
daimon

Post by daimon »

here we go, short and linear like no one:

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... treets.zip

anyway, it's boom-compatible (and works for boom too. Enjoy.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

daimon wrote:here we go, short and linear like no one:

It's a nice and compact map, very nice!
Zero X. Diamond

daimon wrote:here we go, short and linear like no one:

Liking this one a lot! It has a classic 90s feel to it, like it'd be the first level of some forgotten megawad.

The best thing about all these maps is how different everyone's results are. My map for this round kind of fell apart due to some insane sector bugs it's experiencing, but for reference, I was doing a Hell-themed map. Music speaks to us in different ways and it's interesting to watch.
daimon

Post by daimon »

oh, thanks a lot guys! Glad you like it! There's nothing to change or add about it?
Zero X. Diamond

Honestly, I think it's pretty good as-is. I'm obviously not the best critic, which kind of makes me a crappy OP for a thing like this, but this map was well-balanced, fun to play, and not bad to look at. My only suggestion might be regarding the linearity, but that's something you already made mention of yourself. And even then, it's not a bad thing: this feels like a MAP01, which tends to be fairly straightforward.

While I'm at it, Soul, your map was a delight to look at. For me, at least, it was really challenging, though. I might have missed some stuff, but it seemed like there was not nearly enough ammo to take out everything without resorting to punching things to death. Also, it seems you missed something in the toxic waste pit: unless I[.i] missed it, there seems to be no way out if you fall in. Apart from those two, though, I really liked your map and again, it was great to look at.

And finally, since I got everyone else, Sgt. Shivers. Your map was an interesting theme, seamlessly blending outdoor and indoor action. Design was a little simplistic at times, though never bad. A few interesting tricks padded out the level, with the Mancubus reveal at the end even catching me off guard. One thing I'd suggest you work on for next time is atmosphere: your maps tend to be sparsely decorated. Maybe in the next round you can experiment with using more decorative baubles, both things and architecture. Couldn't hurt!

This round ends tomorrow. When I get up and about, I'll post the song for next round. Gonna switch it up a little this time, so get ready to switch gears!
Zero X. Diamond

New song for this round has been posted! We've slowed things down a bit, added some atmosphere, and switched formats. Check the OP for download link.
daimon

Post by daimon »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:Honestly, I think it's pretty good as-is. I'm obviously not the best critic, which kind of makes me a crappy OP for a thing like this, but this map was well-balanced, fun to play, and not bad to look at. My only suggestion might be regarding the linearity, but that's something you already made mention of yourself. And even then, it's not a bad thing: this feels like a MAP01, which tends to be fairly straightforward.
Thanks!
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:New song for this round has been posted! We've slowed things down a bit, added some atmosphere, and switched formats. Check the OP for download link.
Uhh, I'm having trouble running the song. What do you recommend to run it?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

XM-play
MOD Plug Tracker/Player
ZDoom ;)
Zero X. Diamond

If nothing else, the website itself has a built-in player you can listen to it with before putting it into your level.

Return to “Levels”