[DOWNLOAD NOW!] DTS-T - a megawad for ZDoom and GZDoom

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Aquashark

Re: [DOWNLOAD NOW!] DTS-T - a megawad for ZDoom and GZDoom

Post by Aquashark »

Deathmatcher wrote:
Sgt. Shivers wrote:EDIT: I found the cyberdemon, but I don't know how to get it out of it's room...
Spoiler:
I still seem to be having trouble on the Vivarium with 1 monster leftover...
Spoiler:
I'm really interested in continuing, but it seems like even if I restart the level I can't get him to show up. I'm not sure what else might help here...
Deathmatcher

Post by Deathmatcher »

Aquashark wrote:I'm really interested in continuing, but it seems like even if I restart the level I can't get him to show up. I'm not sure what else might help here...
Not quite sure what's going on there... The baron pops up once you walk across a line near the corner with the dead zombieman.

Can you send me your savegame? deathmatcher@freenet.de
Aquashark

Post by Aquashark »

Now that I think about it, it probably has something to do with a randomizer I'm loading. It's been great fun thus far and given me no problems, but I'd venture to say it's to blame here. :<
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

Am I making some sort of big, obvious mistake, or is this wad not compatable with EDGE? When I run it I just get the regular Doom 2 map set. It seems to work fine for me in GZ.
Deathmatcher

Post by Deathmatcher »

Aquashark wrote:Now that I think about it, it probably has something to do with a randomizer I'm loading. It's been great fun thus far and given me no problems, but I'd venture to say it's to blame here. :<
Probably. I don't know exactly what kind of randomizer you mean, but if it's an item/monster randomizer, chances are it will horribly mess up some of the scripts going on in DTS-T.

JimmyJ: DTS-T runs on ZDoom 2.60+ or GZDoom 1.60+.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

I know you don't plan any serious DTS-T improvements, but there is one thing that IMO would be highly useful: those audio communications with major Reily are rather hard to understand, especially in his "demon-infected" state (not for me, but I can imagine that for many people here they are). Please consider making "subtitles" for them (I have no idea how difficult that would be, though).
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

hey quick question, how did you do the effect on the jade cube at the start? it looks as if you used linked portals.
Deathmatcher

Post by Deathmatcher »

Doing subtitles is not technically difficult, but it would be a lot of work. Also, I have concerns that this wouldn't spoil the intended atmosphere to some degree.
There are actually subtitles in one level - Of Blood And Steel - because it's so noisy in there. As for bringing subtitles to all the levels... let's say, I'm not fully ruling it out but I'm leaning towards "no" at the moment. While some people have a hard time understanding it, I'm also receiving lots of positive feedback on the voice quality.

InsightGuy:
Spoiler:
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i still think subtitles as an option, at least, would be beneficial. while i may understand English at a rather high level, i'm still not a native speaker, and thus i tend to stumble upon words when they are spoken if there's no text i can read available for it. i'm sure i may not be the only one, and even though the voice acting is quite stellar, i struggle to understand what Major Reily says a lot of the time. i guess the subtitles could be optional, as well, if people prefer that.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I had just finished playing it.
Spoiler:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i still think subtitles as an option, at least, would be beneficial. while i may understand English at a rather high level, i'm still not a native speaker, and thus i tend to stumble upon words when they are spoken if there's no text i can read available for it. i'm sure i may not be the only one...

Exactly the same thing here.
even though the voice acting is quite stellar, i struggle to understand what Major Reily says a lot of the time.
That's probably because of the "distortion" in his sound (I don't mean the quality of the actual sound files).
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Deathmatcher wrote:Doing subtitles is not technically difficult, but it would be a lot of work. Also, I have concerns that this wouldn't spoil the intended atmosphere to some degree.
There are actually subtitles in one level - Of Blood And Steel - because it's so noisy in there. As for bringing subtitles to all the levels... let's say, I'm not fully ruling it out but I'm leaning towards "no" at the moment. While some people have a hard time understanding it, I'm also receiving lots of positive feedback on the voice quality.

InsightGuy:
Spoiler:
I actually have hearing issues in general, especially when there's something going on (as simple as tangling with an imp, or the fantastic "Of Blood And Steel" map, doesn't matter). It's not so much a deafness, but an inability to filter noise to listen to what I want to hear. My parents call it selective hearing but I get frustrated when they say that, especially when I'm trying to listen to them. ...Anyway, I turn on subtitles on every game that allows them so that I don't miss a word, and thereby get the whole story. I make up for the hearing issue with very alert eyes: I can fight and read at the same time.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Remember folks, if you ever are in King Boo's haunted library with those stupid toothy books flying at you, PDF's your man.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Deathmatcher wrote:Doing subtitles is not technically difficult, but it would be a lot of work. Also, I have concerns that this wouldn't spoil the intended atmosphere to some degree.
Well, there is always a compromise solution. I guess that before you recorded Reily's lines, you wrote them down. So you don't need to make the transcript, you already have that. Also, you already have ACS scripts which play his recordings wherever needed in the maps. So just add a line into these scripts which will dump a transcript for given audio recording into the console. This way, you won't have to bother with breaking the transcripts into individual subtitles and their timing, which would be at least 90% of the work (I made movie subtitles years ago, so I know).

Many players would overlook that something appeared in the console, but there is a simple yet effective solution - in the opening map, make text hints which would basically say "If you need audio transcripts, you'll find then in the console whenever Reily starts talking". The Ultimate DooMer used hints like that in his Serpent: Resurrection mod and they worked great. Also don't forget to mention it in the accompanying TXT file (though I'm not sure how many people read those...).

OR, you can just place those transcripts into separate TXT file. Alt-Tabbing out of Zdoom to read it is no real problem, after all.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Finally finished this awesome wad and I gotta say, this is one of the best I've played.
You've clearly put a ton of work into this and it definately shows.
I really liked the puzzles and story, they really made this wad unique and you managed to pull them off better than most mods. You managed to create a unique experience without putting in much new content which I haven't seen done in a mod before.

Overall, I'd give it a 9/10.
Spoiler:
Anyway nice job, this wad had only a small amount of problems but they are overshadowed by the good points.
rockthemike13

Post by rockthemike13 »

Sorry for the delayed post, but it takes me a long time to play through wads like this. I have finally finished it tonight, having lately had my better half scolding me for staying up late (like tonight) playing this. She'll be so happy to know I've finished it.

I felt I had to post, to let you know how absolutely brilliant I thought this wad was. I was so apprehensive at first, coming off of a Doom hiatus, and playing through your first couple maps. I felt I was just turning my self right off to the game. Not that they were bad maps, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

But I am so thankful I stuck with it. I rarely, if ever have so deeply immersed myself into a Doom map (or any map from any game for that matter). The narrative was border line genius, and the map designs had me so hooked, I could not wait to see what would happen next. By the time I reached the apostruct I could barely leave the computer to go to bed, or to work! And when I would peel myself off of it I would just ponder what else lies in store.

I couldn't figure out how to get to Stratholme, but my fiance and I are WoW players so I really need to go back and figure out how to get there.

I am a terrible Doom player, so I found myself cussing out, redoing, cussing out again certain levels, but had so much fun in the process. My biggest complaint is that such a fantastic idea for a story and map design is limited to the Doom engine. This IMO would have made for a great stand alone game. But working with what you had, I am beyond impressed. I think (probably to no avail) I will try to get my friends to try Doom just for the sake of trying your wad.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this. You've not only reignited my passion for Doom, but video gaming in general. This is exactly why to this day I still haven't given up playing video games, because some thing like this will come along, and that makes all the bad experiences worth it.

Return to “Levels”