[RELEASE]Doom Expanded Beta 8-5

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[RELEASE]Doom Expanded Beta 8-5

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Beta 8-5 now available:
http://www.mediafire.com/?r4al3z6itak7q1s

Changes since Beta 8:
-New sounds (Infrared, Auto-map, Invul., bullet clip, shells)
-DSSECRET (secret sound) replaced with DSGETPOW.
-Secret Cheat Map for Doom 1 supports all four episodes (E(1-4)MX).
-Rocket, Plasma ball, BFG ball, and Unmaker demon sphere appear (spawn) from their weapons not the player (animation tweak).
-New sprites for Spectre.
-Improved Cacodemon death.
-Revenant Missiles now improved.
1.New Missile sprites and effects.
2.Now has RevRockets(normal) and RevTracers(seekers).
3.Now fires two missiles from both barrels.
4.RevTracer chance of appearing reduced to 25% (from original 50%.)
-Plasma Rifle fire animation improved.
-Glow effects and brightmaps added to common Doom liquids.
-New liquid splash sprites.

Features removed from Beta 8:
-AFONT.wad removed from pk3 (in favor of original Vanilla interface).
-Expanded title screen removed from use (but is still in Graphics.wad).
-Footstep sounds removed in favor of classic Doom ambiance.
-D3 Wraith removed in favor of Vanilla hanging Keen (looking for Keen 4 death sounds).

Be sure to let me know of problems, suggestions, and criticisms.

Beta 8 (Last full version)
Download it now.

NOTE: Be sure to read the text file with the Beta to get the most of out Expanded.

Welcome to Doom Expanded, a comprehensive mod for the original Doom IWADs.

The purpose of this modification is to add a number of graphical/sound enhancements
and other gameplay tweaks/additions to the classic Doom experience while keeping
the original gameplay intact. This mod keeps the fast and fun style of the original
Doom games but adds more to make it a much deeper experience.

You can use this mod with any Doom IWADs (Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and both Evilution and
Plutonia), or even together with PWADs that use Vanilla based resources, contain minimal changes,
or have DECORATE information that's independent of anything that's in Expanded. You can try to
mix and match mods, but be sure to keep in mind the features of both Expanded and the pk3/wad
your using with it (as they may or may not work properly with each other). Loading Order (which
PWAD loads first) should be keep in mind when using Expanded with other mods and having a
front-end like ZDoom Launcher or similar can come in handy in that regard.

If you have any critiques, feedback, or suggestions, please contact me either through email or post
your thoughts right here on the thread.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Features
Spoiler:
Settings
Spoiler:
Credits
Spoiler:
Last edited by BlueFireZ88 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
E.C.S

Re: [RELEASE]Doom Expanded Beta 8

Post by E.C.S »

This is my favorite enhanced Doom. Still using the v7.5. Good to see this being update again.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

This is pretty neat. I really like the new plasma-balls. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Hopefully I will be able to play it Wednesday afternoon.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

E.C.S.:
Thanks. It's been a while hasn't it. :)

I wanted to thank you again for the Unmaker pick-up sprite.

Zombieguy:

I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance.
lolthesystem

Post by lolthesystem »

Pretty cool!
I loved the chainsaw sound (really, I love it), the rocket explosions and the new weapon, the skull thingy that launches ghosts! :D
The blood spills are also very cool!

Only thing I didn't like was the blood splat sound. It sounded weak. I know that blood isn't heavy at all, but it sounded strange to me (of course it's just my opinion).

When is the final version going to come out? :D
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

cool that this is still updated.

i think the plasma ball, rocket and BFG could use some work effects wise.
(see Particle Fire Enhancer for a rocking Plasma, BFG - and Brutal Doom for a nice Rocket impact effect)
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

lolthesystem:

Glad you enjoy it. :)

Info on the "The Ghost Launching Skull Thingy" (I so get a kick out of that name! :D ) can be found here:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Unmaker
and here:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Wraithverge

The blood sounds have been in there for as long as I can remember. I've tried finding other sounds, but it's hard to find a balance for sounds that are too gore heavy or just too strange sounding (I mainly encounter the former, but the worse is where the blood sounds like sand bags).

I'm going to be attending college in mid October, so I hope to get it finished before then.

mckracken:

I'm fully aware of the Particle Enhancer wad as I've asked permission to use it as a resource from Z86. And as much as I like the effects, the large amount of particles can cause the framerate to drop on my system. Besides, the effects are more meant to have a vanilla feel to them, hence being more simplistic in style (but complicated to input, mod wise).
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Wow, this was really neat! :D Good work!
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

I think the Brutaldoom plasma/bfg ball are both fast and good looking. would that be possible to borrow bluefire788?
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

I have borrowed from Brutal Doom before, but ultimately, a line should be drawn to where resources should be used. And something I would never want is for Expanded to be making itself look like a carbon copy of Brutal Doom. That's not the point and out of respect we both have our own styles. Mine is more Vanilla oriented, and his is, well...Brutal. I don't expect everyone to like every aspect of Expanded, but for the sake of consistency, certain aspects should remain as they are. And besides, lord knows how long I spent working on those plasma effects.

Though to look into your suggestion:

While the plasma effects are good, they ain't what I'm going for. I honestly just don't like how its broken into multiple sprites, in the case of Vanilla style, they are more complicated than they need to be, when just a few simple sprites can work just as well.

Minus the fog effect, the BFG ball is the exact same as mine (the original BFG ball from the IWADs). The difference being that he uses the original two frames and I use four (for ball rotation). Again, keeping the Vanilla faith here, were trying to keep things relatively simple, both in code and execution, but still have it look good.
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

i was rather thinking about the BD BFG impact not the ball itself. (its the original impact effect that i find so lame)
Have you seen the cool flare BFG ball from Beautiful-doom?
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Yes, I have seen the impact effect of the BFG Ball in Brutal Doom, and Brutal pretty much defines the effect. I can understand that you really like the effects in Brutal Doom for their over the top eye candy, there's no doubt there. The problem is that the effect goes against the basic idea of Expanded, which is enhancing the original Vanilla Doom experience. I'd say while the Expanded version of the BFG Ball may not be as impressive as Brutal Doom's, I would at least say it's a step up from the Vanilla version.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Well got some new stuff for you all, and it involves what your going to see in the Final Version.

I won't say exactly what it is, but you can see for yourselves with this pics.
Spoiler:
Did you see it? Well, here's your answer:
Spoiler:
The Spectre has gotten a monochrome makeover and is looking better than ever. Originally it was just a black stencil render to achieve the invisible effect, but now he's actually got detail. And as you may have noticed, Doom 2's Cast Call now has the Spectre in it. Also, the BOSSBACK has been replaced with the Expanded title screen, leaving the original vanilla title screens alone.
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:Well got some new stuff for you all, and it involves what your going to see in the Final Version.

I won't say exactly what it is, but you can see for yourselves with this pics.
Spoiler:
Did you see it? Well, here's your answer:
Spoiler:
The Spectre has gotten a monochrome makeover and is looking better than ever. Originally it was just a black stencil render to achieve the invisible effect, but now he's actually got detail. And as you may have noticed, Doom 2's Cast Call now has the Spectre in it. Also, the BOSSBACK has been replaced with the Expanded title screen, leaving the original vanilla title screens alone.
YEEEAH :D
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Is there a way to bump up the aiming height for the weapons? I like what you've done with the mod, but the changes to aiming height is getting me killed with the rocket launcher. :P

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”