[WIP] Project ZD3K [update: 14-09-2018] * WIP life

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
X-DOOM

Re: [WIP] Project ZD3K (rebuilding it) [update: 30-08-2013]

Post by X-DOOM »

Tormentor667 wrote:That's better. Is this for GZDoom or ZDoom only?
I want to make the whole game compatible with both ZDoom and GZDoom.
Hell_Pike

Post by Hell_Pike »

I never heard of this before but as soon as I saw the screenshot of the big windows looking into space I was hooked, looks awesome! Please support Zandronum? That would be awesome
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Hell_Pike wrote:I never heard of this before but as soon as I saw the screenshot of the big windows looking into space I was hooked, looks awesome! Please support Zandronum? That would be awesome
Does Zandronum run ZDoom hexen map format the same way?
Can it run single player gameplay normaly too?
Im saying this cuz i never tried Zandronum yet.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Zandronum is based on an ancient old version of ZDoom, so if you're using features from newer versions of ZDoom, then it probably won't work with Zandronum.

Oh, and by the way, Zandronum is a continuation of Skulltag. It's not an entirely different new source port like some people believe or think.
Hell_Pike

Post by Hell_Pike »

Blue Shadow wrote:Zandronum is based on an ancient old version of ZDoom, so if you're using features from newer versions of ZDoom, then it probably won't work with Zandronum.

Oh, and by the way, Zandronum is a continuation of Skulltag. It's not an entirely different new source port like some people believe or think.
I would go so far as to say "Ancient" it actually runs almost everything it just doesnt recognize certain things and one bonus it actually usually still runs the scripts (or tries to) instead of just not loading. I was a fan of skulltag so zand is my default and in my opinion looks a little better than gzdoom, but I havent had the time to really play with the settings of gzdoom to see what its capable of
X-DOOM

Re: [WIP] Project ZD3K (rebuilding it) [update: 12-09-2013]

Post by X-DOOM »

Blue Shadow wrote:Zandronum is based on an ancient old version of ZDoom, so if you're using features from newer versions of ZDoom, then it probably won't work with Zandronum.

I knew it was made from Skulltag, but yeah suck it not fully up to date as ZDoom is.

Hell_Pike wrote:I would go so far as to say "Ancient" it actually runs almost everything it just doesnt recognize certain things and one bonus it actually usually still runs the scripts (or tries to) instead of just not loading. I was a fan of skulltag so zand is my default and in my opinion looks a little better than gzdoom, but I havent had the time to really play with the settings of gzdoom to see what its capable of
Well, i am current using ZDoom 2.8pre-189, i am sure anyway by the time i release the game, there will be alot of version of either ZDoom, GZDoom and Zandronum. Well if its going to work for ZDoom, it then should be fine for Zandronum.

Anyway, heres an update.

Update: 12-09-2013, 2h22am

1st boss fight.
Very scripted boss fight, using Strife inquisitor's skin for this. I made a huge decorate file for this boss... up to 800+ lines, for the multiple fighting style.
There is a boss health indicator on the top screen, i am not sure yet if i will keep it that way, its tempoary, i like the bar, but not the boss text.

Screenshot 0093 Res: 1920x1080

_
jimmytong

Post by jimmytong »

OMG this game still alive?
Couple friends told me this project was back on the table, didn't beleived them until now.
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

jimmytong wrote:OMG this game still alive?
Couple friends told me this project was back on the table, didn't beleived them until now.

I am happy you are happy aswell. I started back this project a year ago and i am motived to finish it... i work on it every night after i come back from my job. The problem i do have so far is i am a perfectionist and i keep changing things on every map and corridor, so far in 1 year i worked on 12 maps only. The 1st hub is very solid and work fine. And i got someone who will work with me for the weapon coding, but i did not yet had the time to send him all the files.
X-DOOM

Re: [WIP] Project ZD3K (rebuilding it) [update: 27-09-2013]

Post by X-DOOM »

Update: 27-09-2013, 2h08am

A very dark corridor in the Aquarius Lab.
This is still in the work, added few quick light, might add colorlights on it and few more dirt and the ground.

Screenshot 0094 Res: 1920x1080
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Looks like a cross between a B space-horror flick and a really bad 2002-era Wolfenstein 3D TC for ZDoom, leaves me wondering where the other 220MB is going
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

darkhaven3 wrote:Looks like a cross between a B space-horror flick and a really bad 2002-era Wolfenstein 3D TC for ZDoom, leaves me wondering where the other 220MB is going
This is so far the size of game as of today, seperated by section. I will only post down the ones that are over 1-5mb
The map folder: 96mb
Sounds: 9.25mb
Musics: 60.5mb
Texture patches: 22mb
Sprites: 39mb
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

My recommendation is to cut out the fat; there's no reason your project needs to waste this much space. As it stands I'm not wasting my bandwidth to download Cliche ZDoom Boss Fight #99999999997, as depicted here:
X-DOOM wrote:Image
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Well there are still alot of improvement for the size of these files, most of them so far are raw and uncompressed or non-optimized... for sounds and voice files are still a uncompressed wav file for exemple... and it is not yet under a pk file size too.
There are tools that allow to reduce by about 60-80% of files that i gotta download and install when i will get a release version.
And i still have some unused material that i may have to deal with and to remove... but i haven't find yet if such program exist for the game... i mean i hope there is something that can tell me if a texture patch or texture flat are not used.

So do not worry for the bandwidth download problem i will get this fixed on the release. :D
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Hello guys.

I have not yet given any sign of life since about a month, so here is what is going on. I have decided to change my old OS Windows XP to a new one i bought recently... i am now under WIndows 7 Pro and still a little doing config and settings all my tools and softwares and installing everything i had on my old OS. I should get back into work in the next week on the project. On the same time i made lots of paper drawing of maps and rooms, ideas i had while i couldnt open my old system.

To insure you all, i have not lost any data of the current project :) Everything is burned into multiple backup dvds.
X-DOOM

Re: [WIP] Project ZD3K (rebuilding it) [update: 13-12-2013]

Post by X-DOOM »

Hello guys, i haven't giving any updates lately since october.
I am currently very busy with my current job and my new girlfriend recently taking alot of my free time, she is giving me a whole new meaning to my drop down life to a better life.
I have to deal with what is most important for now... Job and girlfriend before gaming. But i have not let down my project work, i am still working on it but at the rate of half an hour or an hour per 2 or 3 days a week only. So it's slowly growing than before. I may have some better update in or before the xmas' holiday weeks.

So far i have the 1st hub working properly and the 2nd hub mostly working also. I still need to calibrate weapon arsenal's firepower versus npc actor.
I recently started using the new GZDoom Builder over Doom Builder with GL lights that i am loving slowly, i still don't know if i may swap a ZDoom compatible game into a fully only working GZDoom game.

Sorry for the big delay and the no reply from me since 2 months.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”