Hexercise v0.0.6: The coldest of the fixes

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blox

Re: Hexercise v0.0.5: Now With Less Namco!

Post by Blox »

Last visited:
Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:19 pm
:(
le_L

Re: Hexercise v0.0.6: The coldest of the fixes

Post by le_L »

Bumpity bump bump, the coldest of the fixes is here. Quietus has been fixed up for the latest versions, and damage has been re-randomised.
Last edited by le_L on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Thank you, the Quietus bug was the one thing that kept me from enjoying this mod(or even playing it at all, really), as I mostly play Fighter.
I especially like how it just fixes problems without adding too many things to the game on top of the fixes, which may just actually make NEW problems.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

le_L wrote:and damage has been re-randomised.
why would you do this, you monster
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
At least it's not Heretic level randomization, which was so obscene you named that particular trait of Corvus "Roll d20 for Damage". :P
I for one think a little randomization is good, because it stops combat from being too predictable, because predictability leads to doing what works best, and doing what works best over and over gets boring pretty damn quick.

Also it's... well, it's kind of realistic. If you took two dudes who are a match for each other physiologically speaking, and struck both of them an equal amount of times with strikes that on their own aren't necessarily fatal, there's a chance one of them will die but the other won't. I imagine things that aren't humans are the same in that regard, like ettins, centaurs and the like.
Big C

Post by Big C »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Perhaps as a nod to Hexen's D&D ancestry? :P
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This mod would be so awesome (it already is, but) if it used the widescreen stuff from this.
As it is now, it looks weird when that widescreen patch is used in conjunction with this.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

zrrion the insect wrote:This mod would be so awesome (it already is, but) if it used the widescreen stuff from this.
As it is now, it looks weird when that widescreen patch is used in conjunction with this.
Mhmm, I tried it, and left-handed punches look like you're smacking them with a disembodied stumpy arm instead of a fist. Any chance of a future version utilizing these sprites? Sure, you could no longer claim your mod has a single sprite, but, widescreen players would love you forever. Not that I don't already.

EDIT: The manaless axe swing no longer appears to be manaless. Personally I wouldn't mind if it was an intentional change, because as it stands, if I were able to pull it off reliably and it didn't take mana, I wouldn't use any blue mana, ever. It's fairly easy to just punch-axe-punch ettins and centaurs into oblivion.

Also, dropping the hammer is incredibly enjoyable, but a bit of special effects may be cool, like a ring of fire emanating from the landing point ala the effect of the Firestorm's primary fire?
Last edited by twinkieman93 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valherran

Re: Hexercise v0.0.5: Now With Less Namco!

Post by Valherran »

Heyyy, long time no see! Thanks for the fix on the Quietus, that helps.
Valherran wrote:Took another whack at this, so much fun. heh

Would you consider making new classes and a Tertiary Fire for all the weapons?
Any feedback from this old post? :-)
le_L

Post by le_L »

Spoilery hotfix.
Spoiler: There was something about the axe
I'm somewhat satisfied with the game as it is, so new classes and tertiary fire modes are nowhere to be found in any of my plans. I hadn't considered widescreen, but because Hexercise is almost entirely built on TEXTUREx hacks, fixing the game up for widescreen may or may not be beyond my patience. On my 16:10, I personally just do my best not to mind it.

TerminusEst13 wrote:why would you do this, you monster
While working on another mod, I learned that the unpredictability of it was a large part of why Doom was so replayable. Thanks to it, you never know exactly how the game is going to react and so you're constantly reacting and making split-second decisions based on the feedback you get. At the very least it's how I perceived it.

If you fancy some unrandomised fun, though, I've found that Heretic keeps this unpredictability nearly intact without random damage. (Shameless self-plugging, ho!)
Last edited by le_L on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Awww man... :-(
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Oh! I just remembered, sorry for doing so AFTER you posted a fix, but the Mage's projectile reflecting altfire is kinda weird: it will reflect the projectiles, sure, but it still hurts the Mage before bouncing back. Whether this was intended as a balancing feature for the fact that he has the easiest time reflecting projectiles, I dunno, but given my last bug report was in fact a bug, I'm going to say that it wasn't. :P
le_L

Post by le_L »

There's also the same sort of thing about the Fighter and (I assume) Cleric. I don't know what causes it, I just left it as it was.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

So using the altfire of the arc of death depletes blue mana on hit. What? And honestly it feels like the frost shards are way too weak compared to the starting weapon. It's taking longer to kill them with ice than it is to kill them with the wand. This is making it so the only point of using these weapons is to get the passive mana regen.

That's all I got on mage.
le_L

Post by le_L »

Okay, I have a handful of custom puffs inheriting from each other and there's something about the puff code in the later versions that messes it all up. I've hotfixed the lightning issue away, but expect wonkiness to recur and don't hesitate to report it.

The frost shards...I had assumed I'd left it balanced when de-unrandomising it, but I went back to (re-)discover that the base damage was 1, so yeah. The joys of long hiata. I still don't know if I can go and buff them without breaking something, but the issue of pointlessness vs. the wand is a very real one. In the meantime, the damage is now 4.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”