Hexercise v0.0.6: The coldest of the fixes

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
twinkieman93

Re: Hexercise v0.0.6: The coldest of the fixes

Post by twinkieman93 »

Triple S wrote:I always felt that the thing was merged together magically but doesn't require it to stay together. After all, when you weld two pipes together you don't need to keep applying heat to keep them melded together, right?
True.

We can argue about what exactly is holding these weapons together all day, but the real issue is this: you've already got several manaless options, including the fists, the axe, the hammer, and the axe and hammer together. Why do we need another one? It's just redundant, and I could argue that even some of the ones we HAVE are redundant. But I won't, because axe and hammer dual wielding has enough cool points to be worth it just for how cool it is.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Let's borrow an excuse from Fire Emblem Awakening's Falchion. That sword is fabled to be extremely powerful, but only specific people may wield it; if it's used by anybody else, it will act as if completely blunt and incapable of damaging anything. I suppose here we could make a similar excuse, that the Quietus would actually refuse to damage anything unless powered. We're in a high-magic setting, you can't tell me that's illogical. =P

[edit] Oh, and my source for those that own the game: during Lucina's support with her sibling, that issue comes up.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

wildweasel wrote:Let's borrow an excuse from Fire Emblem Awakening's Falchion. That sword is fabled to be extremely powerful, but only specific people may wield it; if it's used by anybody else, it will act as if completely blunt and incapable of damaging anything. I suppose here we could make a similar excuse, that the Quietus would actually refuse to damage anything unless powered. We're in a high-magic setting, you can't tell me that's illogical. =P
All in or nothing. Yeah, sounds like Baratus in a nutshell. I'll buy it. :D
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Alright fine I'll do it myself somehow

EDIT: Okay nevermind the Quietus, I found a bigger issue. Am I supposed to take damage when using the alt wand for deflecting a projectile? Every time I want to deflect a projectile I take damage no matter what. Same with the cleric shield.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

In order to deflect, you need to do it in mid swing/animation. But it is not effective against a stream of projectiles, only big single ones. And why would you want a mana-less attack for Quietus? The dual-wield and Timmon's Axe does that job and probably better.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Valherran wrote:In order to deflect, you need to do it in mid swing/animation. But it is not effective against a stream of projectiles, only big single ones.
Nope I don't know what I am doing wrong but I take damage no matter the type of projectile. The projectile deflects but the damage is done anyway.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

SamVision wrote:
Valherran wrote:In order to deflect, you need to do it in mid swing/animation. But it is not effective against a stream of projectiles, only big single ones.
Nope I don't know what I am doing wrong but I take damage no matter the type of projectile. The projectile deflects but the damage is done anyway.
This has been discussed already, albeit briefly, and le_L hasn't been able to figure out what causes it. I wish it'd get fixed too, but then again it's generally easier to just dodge projectiles anyways, so it's not a big deal to me.

Although when you accidentally reflect a fireball with your fists when punching someone else, it's pretty awesome. :rock:
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Valherran wrote:In order to deflect, you need to do it in mid swing/animation. But it is not effective against a stream of projectiles, only big single ones. And why would you want a mana-less attack for Quietus? The dual-wield and Timmon's Axe does that job and probably better.
Because sometimes you just want to use a sword.

It could be given something special to it... maybe since the Quietus normally flings a few magic bolts forward, the mana-less swing could hit multiple times? It could basically be a painchance machine, better for taking on a single tough enemy than the hammer or axe but not really worth using over them for larger groups. Or, maybe it could have a wide swing that can hit multiple targets in front of and slightly to the sides of you. But no matter what I think it should guarantee an extremedeath on enemies killed by it, because why not?
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

This makes Hexen so much more enjoyable. The only thing it's lacking is widescreen compatibility, so I made it compatible if that's alright. You don't need to run this with WideID.wad or anything else
Hexorcism
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Yes please thank you I was just going to request that.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

That had been requested, but I believe the response was basically "I'm lazy". Thank you, Lippeth. :D
Robomorons

Post by Robomorons »

Apologies for the bump, but HeXercise is not having a fun time with the recent GZDoom release, as I keep getting "ripperlevel" is an unknown actor property." We might need a fixer here.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Given that Hideous Destructor is having its own problems with the latest SVN, I would wait until another SVN version or two comes out, see if HeXercise works with those, and then start properly panicking if it doesn't. :P Latest SVN sounds like it came out all Quasimodo-lookin'.
Robomorons

Post by Robomorons »

Huh. Odd. Back to the December build I go, then.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Played through the first hub with Cleric on Pope/Nightmare last night, and it's amazing how much less of a slog combat is. I feel pretty damn OP though. Got a full stock of 25 quartz flasks/flechettes and few real trouble spots. (I could see things going differently for the Warrior before he gets ranged attacks.) Am I wrong that this is too easy?

Cleric's morning star melee feels stronger than Warrior's fists. It kills Ettins faster at least. Seems an odd decision given the Warrior's melee specialization.

A small bug is that the 2 quartz flasks the Cleric starts remain in their own unique stack. In effect you can carry 27 flasks until you use the two initial ones.

Using the widescreen patch (made by another user) I noticed the Warrior's left fist is cut off on both left and right. Will try without the wide patch to see how that affects things.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”