Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v1.4 10/23/2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (Beta 1.4 is out!)

Post by DoomRater »

Programming languages are supposed to be somewhat intuitive. In other words, the language shouldn't be getting in the way of things you wanna do. DECORATE is not a "proper" language even though it can do quite a lot of scripted tasks. So a lot of what you'll be doing to resolve conflicts between mods will literally be problem solving with things you may have to do in a way that doesn't make sense at first.

Some problems that can come up include using recently added DECORATE options, meaning you need to update the version of Zdoom/GZdoom you're using. Another problem can be where two mods use the same name for an item. They'll conflict. Have fun figuring out what to do about that when you have legal issues preventing you from redistributing modified versions. And that's just the DECORATE side of things. ACS can run into the same problems...
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (I'm still alive!)

Post by Captain Ventris »

A recent schedule change means that I have some time to work on this. Also, I saw Age of Ultron and am therefore contractually obligated to somehow recognize that here in Doomvengers. I've got some changes I wanna make, especially some things which make Zharkov less of a pain to play given his current vulnerability to hordes early game. I'm also buffing up some of the Doomvengers' melee capabilities for those times when the map designer just didn't hand you enough ammo. I also intend on adding some extra eye candy to the Doomvengers who don't have so much.

I'd also like to ask everyone what they think about me replacing some of the sprites for Styleguy and Freerunner's weapons so their origins as TEXTUREs modifications isn't so jarring with the rest of the wad. Only certain weapons would be replaced, more than likely, but it could tie things together visually better. Same considerations are in the air for sound replacements.

Anyway, feedback! Go!
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Problem, Posseso's alt-fire could causing a game crash trying to posses one of its monsters, why just remove him because of an bug.
Captain Ventris

Gonna need a few more nouns before I can look into that. Played the heck out of Possesso, and haven't had a crashing problem. Also, removing an entire player class is slightly dramatic as reactions to bugs go.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Whatever changes you feel you need to make, make them. :)
Captain Ventris

Well, just wanna see if people are attached to the original franken-sprites or not. I'll be making plenty of alterations, I just don't want to go about doing things that are frivolous or take something out of the experience.
Last edited by Captain Ventris on Tue May 12, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Actually, would you mind terribly if I were to suggest specific sprites for Style Guy's weapons?
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

I am kind of sort of attached to Style Guy's franken-sprites, yeah. Freerunner's not so much mostly because they're just basically Doom sprites with minor alterations.
Captain Ventris

wildweasel wrote:Actually, would you mind terribly if I were to suggest specific sprites for Style Guy's weapons?
I would actually love that, given that it's your brainchild. Also, pain in the butt finding sprites that make me happy.
Captain Ventris

Still adding and making changes to things. I don't know how many of you play Zharkov, but until my recent changes on my development version of Doomvengers, I hadn't found him satisfactory to play. Now he plays like a true crazy person: he's a berserker who needs to be right where it's the worst all the time to benefit the most from his abilities, and it's a lot of fun. I'm also adding a number of new Zharkovision effects and modifications which will give him a continuously unique experience which lends more and more to his loony gameplay style.

Other than that, I'm balancing some of his weapons a good deal and adding a number of visual enhancements such as a firey radius effect for Freerunner's grenades and Cyberlauncher rockets. Also going to experiment with using offsets to smooth out Possesso's animations, because Weasel's work on Stylemod, Xutawoo's animations in Super Chicken, and Xaser's work on Parkourmod, Zharkov, and Necrodoom make for some really satisfying weaponry which I think would benefit the pretty underdressed Possesso.

All in all, this next version should see a nice sharpening up of a lot of things in Doomvengers and just make it a more consistent and well executed experience.
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (Beta 1.5 is out!)

After much faffing around, a new version! I think it's a huge improvement in a slew of ways and an important step forwards. The changelog is massive and, and the manual is all updated and improved. Please check the bottom for items I need help with.

Also, for those unaware, I have started a Resource thread containing a slew of useful sprite work. As I make more and more unique material for Doomvengers that thread will grow. Check it out here.
Spoiler: Changelog
Spoiler: Bugs and Help Needed
Somagu

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (Beta 1.5 is out 8/

Post by Somagu »

Neat. I might actually have to give this a try in co-op at some point with these balance changes.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Aw hell yeah, time to replay the shit out of this mod! Only I'm not at home at the moment. Eh I'll have my phone remind me to download it.
Captain Ventris

Definitely let me know what you guys think! Feedback is always welcome.

As stated previously I already knew some things I wanted to accomplish for the next version. As-is I've done some file optimization and reduced the file size by 2 megs, so that's a nice start. Seriously though, the rest is pretty well off as far as file bloat. There just really is a LOT of content to make all this wackiness work. In the future, of course, I hope to be allowed to fully implement Parkour Mod and Necrodoom so you folks don't have to download them on top. Also I'd like to do the same with Possess Me, but all attempts to contact Aluqah have failed. :(

The future plan short list is more new sprites for Style Guy's weapons (Weasel has provided another weapons' sprites as-is), more customized mugshot elements, and putting in effects for the rest of Possesso's attacks. Also a compat patch for the PSX Doom TC, which is really pretty simple but would be fun regardless. Also considering doing Strain (based off that guy's ZDoom version) and Valiant (based off some other guy's ZDoom version), just because.

Once I can get everything into one Wad I'll be more confident about opening a thread on Doomworld or what-not. You guys are more understanding of a wad that's a pain in the butt to run. ;)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I had an idea similar to this a while back, but obviously before all the new talent was invented. Sort of a collection of heroes from different mods, but with a level set based on each character, with a selection of signature weapons but usable for everyone. So like, 4 maps per character, 3 weapons appropriate each "world", with each character starting with their unique pistol/melee equivalents. Like timesplitters, but more awesome.

Be really fun to see how each character interacts in this mod, especially co-op. Watching this :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”