Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v1.4 10/23/2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v0.3)

Post by Tapwave »

Captain Ventris wrote: -Style Guy's Fullscreen HUD still displays a Necrodoom armor item (and off-center!) rather than the default Doom one. Not sure what to touch to fix that.
The armor bonus/ actual armor sprite may be replaced.
Captain Ventris wrote: -Super Chicken does not jump as high as he should. I have no idea why.
Not exactly sure, that may be related to its own height, maybe raising the jump height a little bit would fix that?
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Well yes, the actual armor sprite is replaced and all, but I have no idea how to poke the SBARINFO involved into changing what sprite it's referencing.

EDIT: Got dat junk. Thanks again, David. 'Tis all good.

I mean that Super Chicken is not jumping as high as he should compared to in the original Super Chicken wad.
Captain Ventris

Well, turns out Possesso the Ghost (named by me, from Aluqah's Possess Me!) was less tedious to put in than Zharkov (who has a lot of frame conflicts that will take a while to rename, etc.), so Possesso is going in in the next version. Sorry Zharkov.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

On the Zharky note, I think I forgot to answer on IRC when you asked, but feel free to modify what you need from Zharkov and release a separate version if you like. I keep forgetting to re-release the one I've got so maybe having one out there with fixed stuff will motivate me to get around to doing it. :P
Captain Ventris

Alrighty, got it. I'll get to that... eventually. <.<
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

Wonder if anyone can host a server with this to play online. Because it seems quite epic but since I haven't yet seen anyone willing to coop it with me I can't check it out online D:

EDIT: While digging trough some awesome stuff I happen to have, I have discovered... Truckosaurus! And I feel that he is somewhat left out. While I doubt he can be made into a full class(he pretty much drives around and eats everything), I think his weirdness level is enough for at least some kind of easter egg...(truckosaurussphere?lol)
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Usable item, maybe? Summons a Truckosaurus that charges forwards and chomps on everything in it's way?
Captain Ventris

You bring up an interesting idea, Terra. I know that I'd rather not touch the classes themselves other than for balance purposes, but a silly Universal item to include something that otherwise wouldn't qualify is a good idea. It could be a part of the same pack that adds the Villains I talked about earlier in the thread. A Truckosaurus summoner would be pretty boss.

Now to speak to Hexa, I DID think of Truckosaurus as a class, but as far as 'fluff' for Truckosaurus goes, he's totally invincible, but otherwise is indeed quite weird. I can see it now:

Necrosuit: "You heard from Truckosaurus?"
Style Guy: "Truckosaurus? No."
Necrosuit: "Just keep me posted."

LATER

Necrosuit: "Look out guys, I'm bringing the party to you."

*RAAAWR GIANT SOMETHING OR OTHER FROM AROUND THE CORNER*

Style Guy: "Truckosaurus?"
Truckosaurus: "rumblerumblerumblerumble?"
Style Guy: "Now would be a good time to... uh... drive forward and start chewing?"
Truckosaurus: "rumblerumblerumblerumble." (Translation: ERROR - Incompatible character set)
*Truckosaurus instagibs the giant something or other. The Orchestra was going to do an epic crescendo, but the sheer mindless brutality silenced them*

I'd need to 1. Ask Xuta for permission to use Truckosaurus, and 2. Grab a clip of some hilariously metal guitar shredding for his summon sound. I'll think over it. There is already the rare Cuckoo Monitor for Super Chicken that kills every enemy in the level (I'll probably make the villains immune to them when I make that pack), so it's not like power levels are an issue or something.

Heh, this is sort of like the items in Super Smash Brothers: Brawl that summon random little game characters to help/hinder you.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Well, for one, you didn't really ask permission to use Super Chicken, but for two, why do you think I would mind at all? :P

Also, the Cuckoo monitor doesn't kill every monster in a level automatically. You still have to move around because the Cuckoos spawn around you. :V
Captain Ventris

Well, with Super Chicken's inclusion in this, it was just a patch that made Super Chicken work alongside the others, akin to Cutman's NeoDoom patch that made the Vixens not so absurd. In the end, I'm still having people download your mod. With Truckosaurus, however, I'd be actually lifting some resources and throwing them into Doomvengers.

I've downgraded the Cuckoos so that they aren't COMPLETELY the end-all, be-all (they're mortal, they don't inflict pain, they don't loop their attack), but Cyberdemons will still get dragged down in a matter of seconds. That monitor is DANGEROUS, and continues for a couple minutes of utter carnage, but I don't want them entirely solving your future Gardener Cacodemon Problems. :P
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v0.35)

Aaaaand 0.35 is out!

Got a new player class and the resultant bio in the OP and Titlescreen appearance of said character. Possesso is funky, so be sure to read Aluqah's little tutorial thing. I'll have to make a Doomvengers Manual when all is said and done, I think.
Spoiler: Changelog
Gez

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes

Post by Gez »

Captain Ventris wrote:I'm gonna be wanting an inherent ridiculousness for classes to add, such as the Necrosuit's car-alarm beeper and general over-heavy-metalness (as a bottom line). Seriously, it's tooooo much! Also a definite change in gameplay style should be present.
Massmouth would certainly qualify for "inherent ridiculousness", though the "definite change in gameplay" part is kinda lacking. Just thought he could get in as the grandfather of all silly ZDoom mod heroes.
Captain Ventris

I'll put him down for a cameo of some sort :P
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

Am I the only one who happened to notice a terrible bug that only the Chainsaw replacement items are properly restricted to classes, and all off the other weapons are pickable by all classes?
Captain Ventris

Here's how that works: In singleplayer, all character classes will pick up all weapons, even if they have the max amount of that ammo type or can't use it. In Co-Op, they will not. this behavior is derived from Hexen (wherein all classes use the same ammo type). The player classes don't pick up the Chainsaw because it doesn't provide ammo.

So just think of it as cleaning the floors ;)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”