Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v1.4 10/23/2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (3...)

Post by Captain Ventris »

Well glad you enjoyed watching that, at least. :P But yeah these are all things that shouldn't take long at all, I just have to get the time to do them.

For example, I typed that first sentence, finished two of those tasks, and then finished this post!
Death Egg

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (Near Beta 1.6!)

Post by Death Egg »

Captain Ventris wrote: ...but Aluqah has straight up vanished,
so that may have to stay separate :( Still! It's a lot better than it was!
Aluqah's [url=http://forum.zdoom.org/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=7265]userpage/url] says he's visited as recently as last month, so maybe you want to try again?
Captain Ventris

Death Egg wrote:
Captain Ventris wrote: ...but Aluqah has straight up vanished,
so that may have to stay separate :( Still! It's a lot better than it was!
Aluqah's [url=http://forum.zdoom.org/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=7265]userpage/url] says he's visited as recently as last month, so maybe you want to try again?
I actually had sent a pm to him and watched it change to having been sent when he visited then, and got no response. :( So he may swing through, but he's not active in a meaningful sense.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Captain Ventris wrote: I actually had sent a pm to him and watched it change to having been sent when he visited then, and got no response. :( So he may swing through, but he's not active in a meaningful sense.
Perhaps he just needs the proper motivation. HEY ALUQAH, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, PLEASE LET CAPTAIN VENTRIS INCORPORATE YOUR AWESOME MOD IN HIS AWESOME MOD BECAUSE IT'S INCONVENIENT HAVING TO LOAD THE MODS AS IS.
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (3...)

Death Egg wrote:
Captain Ventris wrote: I actually had sent a pm to him and watched it change to having been sent when he visited then, and got no response. :( So he may swing through, but he's not active in a meaningful sense.
Perhaps he just needs the proper motivation. HEY ALUQAH, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, PLEASE LET CAPTAIN VENTRIS INCORPORATE YOUR AWESOME MOD IN HIS AWESOME MOD BECAUSE IT'S INCONVENIENT HAVING TO LOAD THE MODS AS IS.
That should do the trick, thanks ;)

Working on updating the Manual copy today while I can so I can just plug it into the thing and finalize it later on. Lots of rewriting and clarification to do - it'll read quite a bit nicer and be a better guiding hand for people looking into the subtle stuff.
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (Beta 1.6 3/12/16!)

Beta 1.6 is now out! Fina-frikkin-lly!

Biggest release yet, yada yada, I've parted out the changelog because it's enormous, downloads for errything in first post. I'll compile and get the newest manual version uploaded in a bit when I'm not feeling so lazyyyyy

General:
NOTE: I am always open to requests for compat patches. It will be a rare day when I do a full roster patch like I did for Beyond Reality, and I'm unlikely to do so for obscure or less high profile wads (especially ones with custom painstates like BR), but feel free to ask. The idea is if adjustments are needed to make Doomvengers work satisfactorily with a particular wad, not to adapt Doomvengers to a different gameplay style (i.e. Action Doom). My work with UAC Ultra is a fine example.

General Changes:
-WHAM! I finally got off my butt and put Doomvengers into a .pk3 format so things are better organized and easier to deal with, much more condensed and a little smoother running. Yaaaaay

-Shaved an additional couple megs off the file size via some file optimization.

-With permission from Xaser, I have now integrated Parkour Mod completely into Doomvengers, and Parkour mod is no longer packaged with Doomvengers since it isn't needed.

-The startup quote and name script now waits until you first move rather than happening in the spawn state. This keeps Doomvengers from being rude during a Titlemap.

-Title screen and class selection screen now shows the latest version of Style Guy's sprites.

-Added some duplicate default frames and renamed frames for Runner's BFG Altfire projectiles and Necrodoom's Missile launcher to ensure no weird visual bugs occurred in Valiant and other wads with minor graphic replacements, etc.

-Went in and cleaned up a shload of code and removed unused code so it was easier for me to read. Doesn't actually effect you guys, but I figured I'd note it down here!

-All Ripping weapons have been assigned Ripping Levels, as have all monsters.

-Implemented a universal Stun system to simulate and regulate stunning effects (like Possesso's Uglyface ability and Super Chicken's Shockweed) as well as adding a slowing effect that halves
a monster's speed when it is hit enough by ice attacks (like Zharkov's Icy Plasma or Super Chicken's Ice Breath). This system works off of both varying states of stat recovery for different
monsters, as well as thresholds for initiating Stunning or Slowing to begin with. TLDR; tougher monsters are harder to stun/freeze and keep stunned/frozen. As you may guess, these effects exist due to future content planned for Doomvengers. Though it is relevant and a fact of gameplay now, it will become much more important in the future!
-The new status effect system introduces two effects: Slow(Ice), and Stun(Electric/Shock). Due to how the system works, the vulnerability and duration of effects can be customized to each individual monster, so I can always balance things as neatly as I need to.
-When a monster is slowed, they will move about at half speed puffing frost until they warm up by walking. The length of time during which a monster is slowed depends on the individual monster, and more ice hits generate a longer slowing effect.
-When stunned, a monster will stand there looking like a doofus (with a visual effect) until they cease being stunned. The effect duration varies depending on the individual monster.
-Fiery weapons take away Ice counters and prevent slowing for obvious reasons.
-Bosses CAN be affected by Ice and Shock effects, but since the new system grants me a lot of granularity with how that applies, it is still very hard to stun or slow a big fella. Then again, that just makes it rewarding when you manage!

Bug Fixes:
-The mysterious misaligned frames for Freerunner's Super Chaingun were fixed when the integration of Parkour mod happened. Weird.
-The second frame of Runner's shotgun's muzzleflash was misaligned for a tic and it was killing me.

-The Arachnotron paused incorrectly after being hit by a Hitler salute.
-The Arachnotron did not respond to the Ugly Face ability.

-Spider Masterminds and Cyberdemons would not drop Freerunner's Superweapons if they were killed by Zharkov's Icy Plasma. Due to the new and future prevalence of ice attacks, this would become even more problematic!

-The visuals for the Pinky Demon Host becoming a Spectre were not functioning.

-Under the effects of a Demonsphere, the Icy plasma would fire forever if you had no ammo, so long as you held the fire button down.
-The Demonsphere Icy punch was slower than normal.[/spoiler]
Spoiler: Necrosuit and Super Chicken
Spoiler: Style Guy and Freerunner
Spoiler: Possesso and Zharkov
Spoiler: Modules and Patches
Spoiler: Known Bugs. Ugh
EDIT: Reuploaded with fix because Possesso's Demon host was trying to unstealth when you first pressed the button, and there was a visual error.
EDIT 2: You couldn't open doors in PSX Doom. Haha, whoops. In other news, links to Compat patches are now direct links rather than zips so I can save myself a few seconds when updating them. Yep, pure laziness.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

i was playing Equinox and I died as possesso while possessing a chaingunner. Not exactly sure why that happened.
Captain Ventris

DoomRater wrote:i was playing Equinox and I died as possesso while possessing a chaingunner. Not exactly sure why that happened.
Hrm. Equinox have any Dehacked work whatsoever? Played through Crumpets as Possesso this version and had no issues with Chaingunners hosts. Hmmmmm. Latest stable GZDoom, I presume?
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

It did seem to be a fluke, as I hadn't run into it a second time playing possesso. I'll have to do some testing to see if I can reproduce it.
Captain Ventris

Liberal usage of Morph classes can be weird, so who knows. What do you think of the new visuals, etc.? Tried a new compat patch yet?
Captain Ventris

Teeny tiny update to the Valiant/Sawdust patch due to Suicide bombers having some incorrect frames, and the UAC Ultra and DV2 patches to make Haymakers/Afrits vulnerable to Supremacy. Whoops!

EDIT: Also an update to the Beyond Reality patch:
-Lowered the Legions spawn ranges for Randomguys and Haunted Swords.
-Fixed a number of monster errors, including a whopper that swapped the Randomguys' attack states with periodically walking slower. Oops.
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (Beta 1.6 Manual Ou

Finally stopped being lazy and uploaded the version of the manual relevant to Beta 1.6, though now that I mention it, it totally doesn't mention anything about stunning or slowing. Awwwwesome. Either way, it's still helpful, so whatevs. Download in the first post, as per usual.
Captain Ventris

Okay, already working towards 1.7 with a few things I knew I wanted to do next. Obviously there has already been a scattering of bug fixes and a couple adjustments to the Ripping hierarchy, stunning and slowing effects, and other such tomfoolery.

Additionally for, get this, the first time, I actually played this in Co-op and now have identified a couple things I want to mess with to make things are nice as possible, since co-op is one of Doomvenger's big draws. For the most part this is going to be minor quality-of-life changes that will make a number of niche situations more balanced and less frustrating for players, particularly how some classes deal with the extremes of ammo starvation and large item caches, and tuning up the spawn multiplier ranges. As always, one of Doomvenger's main goals is to ensure that all of your favorite map sets play well.

But the actual interesting stuff that's upcoming is going to be, as always, THE NEW JUNK. Namely that Possesso now has custom hosts in Valiant/Sawdust which are definitely a blast. Their variants on the default hosts, so no outright new abilities, etc., but they play quite differently and work very well. I will be working on custom hosts for the other major patches in the future and may consider doing so for minor ones as well depending on the workload of other things I want done.

Speaking of Compat patches, I've already got Compatibility for Chex Quest mostly up to par. It has a couple oddities to it of course, namely that I'll need to add 'corpse' markers for Possesso's sake, and that because of the brand new monster cast, I'll be sending it out into the wild with custom hosts. While I was obviously free to multiply the Maximus like the Barons they replace with an accompanying script to end E2M5 correctly, I've had to figure out how I want to handle the Flembrane. It's technically an immobile baron depicted as a boss fight. Since it's immobile I can't well multiply it, but it's waaaaaay too easy no matter how you cut it. So despite not TECHNICALLY being a boss monster, it'll be getting additional health and danger level that scales with the player count as if it were a boss of some sort. It still won't be a show stopper, but it should matter some.

Some of the other alterations needed involve future content such as the villains, since most of them are certain death if they spawn in the Flembomination's tiny room. But I'll figure it out! Chex Quest is not Doom and presents things very differently, so though I want to preserve relative balance, I also want to be flexible and ensure that things are fun as can be!

Other than all that, as you can see I've been doing small incremental updates on the existing compat patches as I encounter problems since they're very small files and now that the Dropbox links are directly to the files themselves. I probablt won't be putting out big content updates like the custom hosts between big version releases but bug fixes on the patches are simple and quick.

Lastly, I know I haven't been devstreaming much recently because my wife's been sick and it was my birthday recently so I was being cripplingly lazy. It was a good time, basically.
Prologue-9

Post by Prologue-9 »

How unfortunate, I just discovered this and it looks like it's been dormant for a while. This drew me in because I've been hella enjoying PossessMe! lately and seeing if there was some attempt at updating it, I discovered this. Have to say, I've loved playing Possesso and the Necrosuit. Not sure if this is still being worked on or not, but playing around with this in ZDoom it feels like the monster spawning is a little off playing on UV. Idk, maybe I'm missing something.
Captain Ventris

Whoo! Had never seen this post! Sadly this project has ended up dormant, as I ended up attempting to make a commercialized version of a previous was (got screwed out of that), and am now writing a science fiction novel.

HOWEVER, I still love Doomvengers and usually use it to play wads still. To that end, I'd like to polish up and release what I do have, which is super playable and all. That means Villains as well as some balance changes and bug fixes I've made since the last release, the Valiant compat patch (CQ3 still needs some doing that I'm not sure I'm up for), as well as a couple minor things that just need doing (a menu option for Legions)!

Hopefully you're still around: may I ask what direction the spawning felt 'off' in?

Spoilers: A number of serious ideas I came up with for the pointless Doomvengers lore formed the basis of the novel I'm writing.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”