Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v1.4 10/23/2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v0.15)

Post by wildweasel »

Sgt Dopey wrote:I'm getting this error on start up:
Script error, "Doomvengers.wad:NECROATE" line 7:
Replaced type 'NecroPlayer' not found in NewNecroPlayer

I am using GZDoom revision 1415
Captain Ventris wrote:Necrodoom, Super Chicken, and Style Mod are required to play this.

Load Doomvengers after them (there is an included batch file), inserting whatever map set you want to play on if necessary.
[edit] Actual bug report: Style Guy makes Necrosuit sounds. I suggest the voice set from ww-nazis (credit to Vosvoy).
[edit edit] Also, the sprite names for Necrosuit's weapons also accidentally overwrite part of the Triple Shotgun's graphic; I suggest renaming the SHTG* sprites to something else so the original graphic can work...
[edit edit edit] Oh fuck I just realized: Xaser's going to have to do that himself, since Doomvengers doesn't touch the respective data of any of the original mods!
Sgt Dopey
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sgt Dopey »

whoops didn't read that :L
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Actually, Weasel, I have replaced and reworked a number of things, such as renaming some of the sprite names for the Soul and Megasphere, but without actually touching theoriginal mods, just replacing their elements with updated ones. Odd I didn't notice these things before. Might have to do with the loading order of the mods. The Style Guy sounds just didn't occur to me, given that he uses default Doomguy sounds, I guess.

And Sgt, I just think it would be a little audacious to pack in other people's mods to run with mine. :P I'll give them the pageviews, and I don't have to update my download link every single time they update their respective mods.

EDIT: DANGIT, I forgot to add ww-Nazis (and authors of all respective materials blah blah blah) to the Credits in the Readme. Weeeelp lemme get on that.

EDIT 2: There, fixed all of Weasel's reported bugs, though the console still complains on start-up about the TEXTURES wad issue with Necrodoom and Style Mod. Everything looks fine, though. Fixes will be in the next released version.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Haha, this is funny for some reason -- I'd like to see these guys in some sort of psychotic deathmatch mod some day. :P

Also, I approve of Necroguy's background story for some reason. It fits the character of the mod somehow. O:
Captain Ventris

Well, the idea here has them rebalanced so they can all co-op HR2 together and no one feels left out.

I'm thinking of having monsters randomly get 10x'd, so it might be 10 imps instead of 1, or 3 Mancs instead of 1 etc., and inserting "Villains" that rarely replace Masterminds and Cyberdemons. The kind of villains these guys would fight, like the evil Gardener Cacodemon and the Cyber Mastermind. Ya know, goofy stuff.

Now I'm thinking of the cockpit of the Necrosuit as being like the SCVs in Starcraft. Frank's sitting in there, smokin', listenin' to Freebird, grumbling about his wife while blasting a Baron of Hell in the face with his rocket pods...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'm pretty happy with Style Guy's biography, myself. =P
Captain Ventris

I have reasonlessly updated the first post to reflect the 2/3 authors' fluff-approval. You're all welcome.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Captain Ventris wrote:like the evil Gardener Cacodemon
Will 1337man and the Falcon Revenant be making an appearance?
Captain Ventris

I'm considering a 1337man boss, and when a player both wakes up 1337man and is close enough, it begins a countdown.

You'd better kill 1337man before that countdown finishes, or 1337man actually starts doing something. D:

I was also considering a Jitterskull, wearing his smoking jacket and using his pipe, seemingly unaware that he is on duty, simply because the sight of Jitterskull would rend such an amusing reaction from many players, in different ways. The smoking jacket and pipe go flying when he launches himself at you, of course, and he wouldn't be insta-kill against EVERYONE, but would deal a humungoid deal of damage on hit.

The Gardener Cacodemon would be, uh... toned down, of course. The trees would be destructible, and he would have less of a player-deleting attack.
Captain Ventris

Version 0.25 is out, and it needs help from...somebody better at this than me! Details at the bottom of ye olde change logge:

Yes, I'm aware the Titlepic does not include Freerunner, because he's just Doomguy at the moment.
Spoiler: Changelog
Link in first post updated, and a bio for Freerunner has been added.
DavidPH

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v0.25)

Post by DavidPH »

I gotta ask, what is up with the God-Emperor in the titlescreen? He looks so familiar, too...
Captain Ventris

As played out in IRC:

Code: Select all

Captain_Ventris:	After someone helps me get the mysterious latest bugs sorted out and I get some preliminary balance done on Freerunner, I'll work on implementing Zharkov. He'll be slow and tough, both because he's too crazy to care about dodging or getting hit with rockets. Also, all of Doomvengers is probably entirely in Zharkov's head.

DavidPH:	That would explain a lot.
	           DavidPH:	Including the God-Emperor thing. :v

Captain_Ventris:	WHICH NO ONE IN THE THREAD HAS MENTIONED
	Captain_Ventris:	Still confused about that one.

DavidPH:	FIIIIIINE.

Captain_Ventris:	I really thought that would be the first thing posted in the thread.

DavidPH:	Captain_Ventris: THERE.

Captain_Ventris:	Your transparent attempts at satisfying me will have to do.
EDIT: Re-did the bios in the first post to be more clear about their intended combat role.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

why are cyberdemon corpses solid

how did you even manage to make that happen
Captain Ventris

uuuuh was totes some bad Copy-pasta from Parkour. The Cyberdemon dropping his rocket launcher occurs on the M frame, and I fudged it up.

Hey, at least you can get over him. :P

Also, noble, gentle people, I honestly can't figure out the above listed problems from the changelog, and it would be dumb to keep adding anything until known bugs are fixed. Rather than have Zharkov's introduction to the mod be rocky, I'd love someone to give me a second, more experienced opinion on the issues I've run into, because this whole wad has been made via dark pacts with otherwordly powers, and not at all by my own hands.

I've only got so much blood, people.

EDIT: Also, any ideas on a sprite set for the Freerunner? Xaser's opinion would obviously mean a lot here.
EDIT 2: clarified the Avengers pun in Necrosuit's bio.
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v0.3)

Weeeelp version 0.3 is out. Zharkov hasn't been added yet, but I've been real busy getting help and doing some balance work. There are a couple new things I can't figure out at the bottom, but plenty got solved thanks to folks in IRC.

Get it from the updated link in the first post.
Spoiler: 0.3 Changelog:
The next version will be 0.35, or: The version when Zharkov kills you.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”