Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (Dev update) 8/1/14

For in-development or completed ZDoom projects
Forum rules
Got a cool project idea but nothing else? This forum is NOT for you! Put it in this thread instead!
Please read the full rules for more details.

Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (Dev update) 8/1/14

Postby Captain Ventris » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:30 pm

The silly people on this forum make silly mods, like Necrodoom, Style Mod, Super Chicken, and Parkour Mod.

So I decided to Assemble them (though I only have Necrodoom, Super Chicken, Style Mod, and Parkour Mod in so far). Co-op ahoy! The characters have been rebalanced to give them clearer coop roles.

All classes can gather health bonuses up to 300 health.

Meet our brave Doomvengers:
Spoiler: "The Necrosuit" and Super Chicken

Spoiler: "Style Guy and Freerunner"

Spoiler: "Possesso and Zharkov"

Together, they are...PRETTY COOL.

...Xuta said I should put a disclaimer that I'm making this all up. The authors of the supported wads had nothing to do with my silly background info on the characters. :P Except that Xaser apparently approves of poor ole' Frank's tale of woe, and Weasel likes my Style Guy bio, so really the only issue here is a continuity break with the Super Chicken and Wondeer universe, which so far spans 23 novels, 6 series of comics, and 4 licensed games as well as being the inspiration for the upcoming Foo-Fighters album.

[url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67863651/xw_schkn.zip
]Super Chicken[/url] and Possess Me are required to play this. With Xaser's permission, the necessary files for Zharkov are included, but for good form, here is the original. Same with Style Mod, with WildWeasel's permission. Necrodoom and Parkour Mod are packaged with the Doomvenger Core files with Xaser's permission.

Load Doomvengers after them (there is an included batch file), inserting whatever map set you want to play on if necessary.

Downloads
Doomvengers Complete (Core, Necrodoom and Parkour Mod, and Modules)
Download Hitler

Doomvengers Core (and Necrodoom and Parkour Mod) Latest Version: Beta 1.3
Download Hither

Doomvengers Manual: Last Updated 1-25-14
Download Hither
Contains all gameplay info, how to run Doomvengers, and Credits.

Modules
Doomvengers: Legions of Noobs Latest Version: 1.0
Download Hither
Monsters will always be multiplied in number, but the same number. Weaker monsters have a higher chance of multiplying into higher numbers upon spawn. All monsters can walk through others of their species, but cannot shoot through them. So don't let 50 Pinky demons standing in one spot bite you. Pain Elementals multiply, but the Lost Souls they project do not. Free-standing Lost Souls already in the map will multiply, and cannot attack through each other, so that they can resume the infighting that makes them such affable fellows to begin with.

Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds do not multiply - they will (eventually) gain a small chance of becoming something WORSE, but that's in a separate Doomvengers Module and so will still be optional then.

Basically, you'll have loads more enemies to unload on, while still being able to use infighting tactics, and without the core gameplay changing to account for the 9 ranks of imps behind the front being able to shoot you. This can make even wads you've beaten dozens of times challenging in a new, ham-fisted way.

On the lowest difficulty, "Wuss", the monster multiplier tables are kinder, making this mode more fit for playing alone. The Highest, "Doomvengers" is cruel and unusual in the extreme in the number of monsters it puts forth. We're talking over 350 monsters on Map01. Bring at least 7 friends.

On all difficulties but Wuss, the first level will use more kind multiplier tables in case the mapper thinks its hilarious for you to run around with a pistol for half an hour. After that, it's game on.

Compatibility Patches
These will allow Doomvengers to function fully on whatever wad they are for, i.e. making sure each Module works, and the classes work right in a given wad. I'm so not doing these for wads that too heavily alter gameplay. These are to be loaded after all other files. This makes the batch file order: The PWads you are playing on, then the prerequisite wads, then Doomvengers.wad, then the Modules, then the Compatibility Patch you need.

One compatibility patch will work with any combination of add-ons, automatically detecting which ones are active. Naturally, you'll get a couple necessary evils in the form of console messages on start-up, but other issues should not be present, but probably are because heeeeeeeey.

Patch for Beyond Reality Latest Version: 0.6
Download Hither
The Giant Imp and King Bloatous get more health depending on how many players are in-game. This wad inspired the idea of Compatibility Patches. Maephisto drops in the same manner as Spider Masterminds, and Fat Cacodemon in the same manner as a Cyberdemon, so they will drop corpses of those enemies for Possesso, etc.

Patch for UAC Ultra Latest Version: 0.3
Download Hither
The Haymaker drops no corpse for Possesso, and the final boss starts at 2000 health instead of 1250 like normal.

Begin with the Bug Reports! You'll need a bleeding edge svn of GZDoom for this.
Last edited by Captain Ventris on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Captain Ventris
DONUT GOLEM

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes

Postby HexaDoken » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:50 am

I request adding Zharkov to the roster.
HexaDoken

Postby Captain Ventris » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 am

Oh shooooot, son! Knew I was forgetting someone!

...there's gonna be a lot of Xaser classes in this, huh?
Captain Ventris
DONUT GOLEM

Postby Gothic » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 pm

what about "the Ranger" by Terminus? :D
Gothic
That doesn't go in there you silly BITCH!

Postby Captain Ventris » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm gonna be wanting an inherent ridiculousness for classes to add, such as the Necrosuit's car-alarm beeper and general over-heavy-metalness (as a bottom line). Seriously, it's tooooo much! Also a definite change in gameplay style should be present.
Captain Ventris
DONUT GOLEM

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:01 pm

If you're going to be adding Stylemod Guy to this mod, you might want to toss some of the cheesier stuff - like replace the Stylish Shades item with an actual sprite instead of leaving it as the hacky Textures thing.
wildweasel
yes, still a forum moderator

Location: america, home of the world's most expensive public education system

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:35 pm

What about Othal and Ezhek? :P
Jimmy
>:D

Postby Captain Ventris » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:22 pm

wildweasel wrote:If you're going to be adding Stylemod Guy to this mod, you might want to toss some of the cheesier stuff - like replace the Stylish Shades item with an actual sprite instead of leaving it as the hacky Textures thing.

Pffffft those shades are the BEST...I'll do it if someone knows where to find a sprite of some sunglasses. :P

I do like the weapons and such, though. It's got... STYLE.

Might use Psyguy as the skin for Style Guy if Xaser lets me.

Jimmy wrote:What about Othal and Ezhek? :P

I thought about it, but they are so frikkin' complicated that it would be weird to put them in there with the others, who are relatively plug-and-play. It's a whole leveling system that's just way out of the mindless dakka festival that I want this to be. For the same reason I won't be adding Psychic.

I AM considering adding in Aluqah's "Possess Me", though. Could be fun to have along with the others, and definitely a departure from normal gameplay. In co-op, he could be a good friend to have. "You go in first, you have an extra face."
Captain Ventris
DONUT GOLEM

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Captain Ventris wrote:Might use Psyguy as the skin for Style Guy if Xaser lets me.

Maybe the "Weasel" skin in ww-nazis would be preferable...though it kind of sucks a bit, you might want to fix it up. =P
wildweasel
yes, still a forum moderator

Location: america, home of the world's most expensive public education system

Postby Zero X. Diamond » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Captain Ventris wrote:
wildweasel wrote:If you're going to be adding Stylemod Guy to this mod, you might want to toss some of the cheesier stuff - like replace the Stylish Shades item with an actual sprite instead of leaving it as the hacky Textures thing.

Pffffft those shades are the BEST...I'll do it if someone knows where to find a sprite of some sunglasses. :P

Duke Nukem 2 had a pair of shades as a points item. Having just looked at the sprite, though, it might be a little bit unsuitable for use in a Doom mod.
Zero X. Diamond
Woah! The mine got hit by some kind of energy wave!

Postby Captain Ventris » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:49 pm

wildweasel wrote:
Captain Ventris wrote:Might use Psyguy as the skin for Style Guy if Xaser lets me.

Maybe the "Weasel" skin in ww-nazis would be preferable...though it kind of sucks a bit, you might want to fix it up. =P

Well that works. Now I need a skin for the Parkour Guy. Zharkov has a custom skin, and he's crazy enough to THINK he's wearing armor, so that works.

The inclusion of Zharkov sort of makes this whole mod some sick version of St. Elsewhere, doesn't it? :P
Captain Ventris
DONUT GOLEM

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v0.15)

Postby Captain Ventris » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Version 0.15 is now out, and introduces Style Guy. Sprite set pending, particularly since it isn't recolorable. Get it from the first post, like before.

Spoiler: "Changelog"
Captain Ventris
DONUT GOLEM

Postby Nash » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 pm

I would have loved to see PsyGirl in here, though I understand that this is just technically difficult...
Nash

Postby Captain Ventris » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Oh, with enough patience/bugging DavidPH, I could do it, but I already stated my reasons for not including Psychic a couple posts above. An Omega/Psychic semi-RPG Superpack would be interesting, haha
Captain Ventris
DONUT GOLEM

Postby Sgt Dopey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm getting this error on start up:
Script error, "Doomvengers.wad:NECROATE" line 7:
Replaced type 'NecroPlayer' not found in NewNecroPlayer

I am using GZDoom revision 1415
Sgt Dopey
:O

Next

Return to Projects