Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
GuardStrike

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Post by GuardStrike »

Yes there actually was. But for no complete reason, the DOOMRLA section of the Github wiki was removed. Also speaking of the GitHub wiki, that's another thing they should focus on working. Because as of now, the wiki is kind of "short" on helpful info on the more "advanced" mechanics of DOOMRPG and DOOMRLA. It's severely outdated and really needs to have more information so we'll understand the two mods more and not have to ask questions on the forums.

Also another question, I've gotten a bit further in a singleplayer mod I've been playing called "Neodoom". A rather fun mod I'll add, but after getting so far and wanting to go to the outpost, all of the menus just stopped working after getting to the outpost. I was getting runaway script terminated messages all over the console and I couldn't access the menus or the shop or even the skill wheel.

Is this a bug or did I simply just pushed DOOMRPG too much into reading too much data or something?
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Another question. Am I missing something, or was there supposed to be some kind of "injector panel" somewhere in the UAC Outpost? The only thing that I can interact with in the computer room is the difficulty computer. The other wall textures don't do anything, and the wall to the left of it is blank.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

There is an injector panel that's located in the same room as the difficulty switcher. It's beside it. There should be a small square panel there that should stand out.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

4thcharacter wrote:There is an injector panel that's located in the same room as the difficulty switcher. It's beside it. There should be a small square panel there that should stand out.
The injector seems to have been removed in recent builds.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

One more thing I need to ask about. Where in the HUD are you supposed to view your keycards? I couldn't find a configurable option under the HUD options for DRPG, and I don't see them listed in my RPG menu either. I just picked up a yellow keycard in a map, but there's no indication that I have it.
YSX

Post by YSX »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:Where in the HUD are you supposed to view your keycards?
Maybe you're using custom hud? If not, try resize or change position of hud elements in Doom RPG settings, maybe it will work.

Hey, and I have an issue somewhere same as GuardStrike posted. When I clear map with Power Shutdown event and change map, all scripts go terminated. Menus don't working, monsters can't kill me because neither shields or health go down, in UAC outpost I can freely kill all marines because they just stand still and do nothing. What can I do with this? Don't wanna start all over again.
Clusterone666

Post by Clusterone666 »

Quick question here, kind of sort of accidently made a extra-large stim with 950%+ toxicity which kills me on use. How do I scrap that stim or get rid of it without dying so I can use stims again?

Thanks!
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Clusterone666 wrote:Quick question here, kind of sort of accidently made a extra-large stim with 950%+ toxicity which kills me on use. How do I scrap that stim or get rid of it without dying so I can use stims again?

Thanks!
Go to your key configuration under the Doom RPG controls section, and bind a key to "Dispose Stim." I haven't had to use that yet, but I guess if I ever ended up in your situation, that's what it would be for.
Clusterone666

Post by Clusterone666 »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:
Clusterone666 wrote:Quick question here, kind of sort of accidently made a extra-large stim with 950%+ toxicity which kills me on use. How do I scrap that stim or get rid of it without dying so I can use stims again?

Thanks!
Go to your key configuration under the Doom RPG controls section, and bind a key to "Dispose Stim." I haven't had to use that yet, but I guess if I ever ended up in your situation, that's what it would be for.
Oh damn, that should have been obvious lol.
Thanks mate!
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I have a question of my own. When starting a new game, you're given the option to choose between starting the default Doom 2 wad (Hell on Earth) or starting in the UAC Base. How do you get out of the base to play the actual wad if you choose to start there? The teleporter doesn't give you any choices other than the base itself, so you can't get out that way. I had assumed that the option to start at the base was for if you wanted to prepare before tackling a particularly challenging wad. Since you can't do that, what's the point of choosing to start at the base?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If I remember correctly, you have to go set the "starting map" option in the Doom RPG Settings in order for an outpost start to work correctly.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Thanks, I'll try that.

I just found a glitch, and one that's happened before. I returned to an earlier map of a megawad to fight a Megaboss after seeing it appear in the anomalies list while cycling through maps at the teleporter. After I killed the boss, I tried to exit the map normally, but this caused a long string of error messages about runaway scripts that had to be terminated. When the next map loaded, my entire HUD was gone except for the health and EP counters, and the DRPG menus (stats and shop) did not work either. I reloaded my last save and tried instead to transport to the UAC Base, but the same thing happened upon the area transition. The same glitch was reported by someone else in an earlier post.

It seemed like the messages for 100% kills, items, and secrets had been delayed, and tried to display at the last second before leaving the map, but I don't know why this would cause such a glitch. Saving and reloading did not bring back my HUD. So apparently I can't go back and revisit earlier maps, if I want to avoid this glitch.

Here's a screencap:
http://i67.tinypic.com/bied3.jpg

I tested it again and avoided getting the triple 100%, and the runaway scripts glitch did not occur. It seems to be related to the 100% completion messages, and when they don't show up until the last second. The message is supposed to display in the level map, at the moment you fulfill the requirement, not during the area transition.
GuardStrike

Post by GuardStrike »

Someone please tell me what's causing these stupid and annoying "runaway script terminated" messages that screw up the DOOM RPG menus making it impossible to access the shop or anything?

Runaway script "MonsterInit" terminated
Runaway script "GetAuraTokens" terminated
Runaway script "_GlobalInit" terminated
Runaway script "_MapInit" terminated
Runaway script "_PassingEvents" terminated
Runaway script "_ShopSpecialHandler" terminated
Runaway script "_StimHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_EventHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_PowerupHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_DRLAHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_ComboHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_CoopViewHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_Init" terminated
Runaway script "_AuraTimerHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_StatusEffectHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_MultiplayerHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_OverviewHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_StatHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_TurretHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_MissionHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_TurretCommandWheel" terminated
Runaway script "_SkillHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_SkillWheel" terminated
Runaway script "_TurretLoopMaintenance" terminated
Runaway script "_TurretLoop" terminated

I can't even have a character that I leveled up to over the 50s without the mod going "Your character is too powerful! DOOM RPG must crash!" As soon as I get to be a powerful marine, the mod just decides to quit working like I'm pushing it too hard or something. >:(
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Accidentally deleted my previous post when I was trying to edit in a bug report.

I downloaded the latest zip from Subenji's Github, in hopes that it would run better than the last version, and ran into a very annoying problem. If you accept a mission of any kind, and then use a stim, the mission description glitches up and prevents you from ever completing it. It seems to be overridden with a generic "Enteroutpost" placeholder. The only way to fix this is to abort the mission and get a new one. Alternately, use the stim first, and then get the mission.

I also noticed that the screen clutter from high level toxicity remains there permanently, even when you cure it, instead of vanishing over time like it's supposed to. Both glitches can be seen below:

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ikqwbb.jpg

Regarding the runaway script glitch mentioned in the post above, I've found that the best workaround is to just create a new save right before entering a new map, whether from the previous map or the UAC Outpost. Then if a particular map causes the glitch, reload the older save and try again.

Also, I've played through a couple of wads with the latest version, and I have some comments and feature requests.

* The latest release of DRPG is extremely script heavy, which not only causes the scripts to crash every so often (the runaway script glitch) but also makes it impossible to play this with any kind of slaughtermap. I'm currently playing it with Swift Death, which has very tiny maps and hasn't caused as many problems; when I tried playing the last map of Sunlust, or the first map of Tartarus 5, the game was reduced to a slideshow and was completely unplayable. This did not happen with older versions of DRPG. Are there any scripts or scripted features that can be taken out?
* The background music at the UAC Outpost is impossible to hear because of the loud throbbing ambient sound effect that's always playing. I can only hear the soundtrack when I go to the menu or console, since it disables ambient sounds. Is it possible to remove the pulsating sound that greets me every time I go to the Outpost? It was not present in older versions.
* The Magnetize skill no longer works on dropped ammo (i.e. the boxes of bullets dropped by Shock Troopers) and it doesn't work on phase devices. I end up having to run around and collect all of those anyway, which I feel defeats the purpose of having the Magnetize skill.
* Could the target at the UAC Outpost be moved into the arena, or otherwise into its own room? I'm asking because it's impossible to test out the more powerful weapons without accidentally killing the marines standing nearby. I've had this happen with the Zeus Cannon, Mother-in-Law, and Biggest Fucking Gun. The blast radius is so huge that it vaporizes the four marines posted there.
* Would it be possible to implement some form of paid training at the outpost? In earlier versions, you could buy stat tokens at the shop, but this was replaced with modules and you can no longer buy them for balance reasons. I'm not asking to be able to buy modules, but I think it would be reasonable if you could speak to the marines at the base and pay them to train you in specific attributes. This could be capped at 90 or 100, so that you'd have to earn the rest on your own.
* The offensive skills are way too weak. In earlier builds they were overpowered, but now they're almost completely useless. It's simply not viable to play as a "caster" type; I can only get off a couple shots of Plasma before running out, shadow creatures reduce your EP to zero in less than a second, and you can no longer buy EP capsules. I used to be able to use the 'Quick EP' hotkey to quickly replenish, but now the only ways to regain EP are to use 'Focus Mode' and stand still for a whole minute, or rely on the (very slow) Regeneration Spheres. Having portable items to restore your EP, like the Krater of Might from Hexen, would be a preferable option.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

OK. New update on that glitch. I had previously thought that just the credits/modules/medkit displays were removed, but I have discovered so much more. I am invulnerable. Monsters do not see me. I can't see the RPG menu/shop, and I can walk right through monsters as if they weren't standing right in front of me. Also, monsters no longer display their health and stats.

http://imgur.com/a/nsJr1

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”