Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
edward850

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.9.14 Beta]

Post by edward850 »

Evil Operative wrote:When DoomRPG is run with the latest SVN development build of GZDooM (12 Aug 2015), the game runs fine. But when the shop is opened at any time, the game instantly crashes. I am including the Crash Report along with this post.
Can you try again without the unsupported autoloads? Otherwise the report has to be treated as bunk.
Evil Operative
Location: Inside a land where Walls and Decors are covered in Blood and Guts. (Brutal)

Post by Evil Operative »

Fixed it. The cause of the problem was Nash's Quake Tilt mod.
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

Turns out summons like to retaliate against your own force walls a fair bit. That's what you get for attacking something that reflects.
Dark Pulse
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dark Pulse »

Not to mention that certain auras (the kinds that strip weapons/ammo/etc. from you) still are "active" even if you have a summoned Archvile resurrect them and turn them into friendly monsters, but IIRC, that's a known issue.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

*sighs* I think I'm ready to turn the Level Event Chance on all my future playthroughs down to 0% because on another playthrough I got hit with an Armageddon event YET AGAIN, way early on, before I was even out of the single-digits on level numbers. I have been seeing the Armageddon event WAY too often in my playthroughs and have come to loathe it so dang much now that I'd rather do without level events completely, and probably will keep Level Event Chance set at 0% until possibly in a future update you can tune the chance of specific level events happening. There where a few I actually liked and thought were pretty cool. 'Crack In The Veil' is good, 'Whispering Thoughts' I also liked too, along with 'Low Power Event'. But 'Armageddon Event', I hit one of those, and I've now universally started saying "Well, that's it for this playthrough. Time to START OVER from the beginning again in this mapset, as this playthrough is now FUBAR'd." I mean, I am NOT a masochistic player or an elite player, cannot make the time commitment to be an elite player, and that's what 'Armageddon Event' I think was made for, the masochistic and/or elite players. 'Hell Event' is more tolerable however. So I am DONE with random Level Events unless there is in a future update a kind of tuneability for the chances of Level Events so I can minimize the chance of getting 'Armageddon Event'.
Dark Pulse

Post by Dark Pulse »

Patriot1776 wrote:*sighs* I think I'm ready to turn the Level Event Chance on all my future playthroughs down to 0% because on another playthrough I got hit with an Armageddon event YET AGAIN, way early on, before I was even out of the single-digits on level numbers. I have been seeing the Armageddon event WAY too often in my playthroughs and have come to loathe it so dang much now that I'd rather do without level events completely, and probably will keep Level Event Chance set at 0% until possibly in a future update you can tune the chance of specific level events happening. There where a few I actually liked and thought were pretty cool. 'Crack In The Veil' is good, 'Whispering Thoughts' I also liked too, along with 'Low Power Event'. But 'Armageddon Event', I hit one of those, and I've now universally started saying "Well, that's it for this playthrough. Time to START OVER from the beginning again in this mapset, as this playthrough is now FUBAR'd." I mean, I am NOT a masochistic player or an elite player, cannot make the time commitment to be an elite player, and that's what 'Armageddon Event' I think was made for, the masochistic and/or elite players. 'Hell Event' is more tolerable however. So I am DONE with random Level Events unless there is in a future update a kind of tuneability for the chances of Level Events so I can minimize the chance of getting 'Armageddon Event'.
IIRC those can only happen if you play on certain difficulties.

Code: Select all

case MAPEVENT_SKILL_HELL:
            if (CurrentSkill >= 4)
                return false;
            return true;
        case MAPEVENT_SKILL_ARMAGEDDON:
            if (CurrentSkill >= 5)
                return false;
            if (CompatMode != COMPAT_DRLA || AveragePlayerLevel() < 10)
                return false;
            return true;
If I'm reading that right, the Hell Event can't happen on skills lower than 4 (Easy/Normal/Hard), the Armageddon event can't happen on skills lower than 5 (Easy/Normal/Hard/Nightmare), and even in the latter's case, if DRLA isn't installed, or you're not at least Level 10 on your character, it shouldn't happen at all. (In other words, for it to be active, you must play in at least Hell difficulty, have a character level of 10 or more, and have DRLA active.)

So basically, stick to "Nightmare" or lower, and you should never run into an Armageddon Event.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Dark Pulse wrote:
Patriot1776 wrote:*sighs* I think I'm ready to turn the Level Event Chance on all my future playthroughs down to 0% because on another playthrough I got hit with an Armageddon event YET AGAIN, way early on, before I was even out of the single-digits on level numbers. I have been seeing the Armageddon event WAY too often in my playthroughs and have come to loathe it so dang much now that I'd rather do without level events completely, and probably will keep Level Event Chance set at 0% until possibly in a future update you can tune the chance of specific level events happening. There where a few I actually liked and thought were pretty cool. 'Crack In The Veil' is good, 'Whispering Thoughts' I also liked too, along with 'Low Power Event'. But 'Armageddon Event', I hit one of those, and I've now universally started saying "Well, that's it for this playthrough. Time to START OVER from the beginning again in this mapset, as this playthrough is now FUBAR'd." I mean, I am NOT a masochistic player or an elite player, cannot make the time commitment to be an elite player, and that's what 'Armageddon Event' I think was made for, the masochistic and/or elite players. 'Hell Event' is more tolerable however. So I am DONE with random Level Events unless there is in a future update a kind of tuneability for the chances of Level Events so I can minimize the chance of getting 'Armageddon Event'.
IIRC those can only happen if you play on certain difficulties.

if (CurrentSkill >= 4)
                return false;
            return true;
            if (CurrentSkill >= 5)
                return false;
                return false;
            return true;
If I'm reading that right, the Hell Event can't happen on skills lower than 4 (Easy/Normal/Hard), the Armageddon event can't happen on skills lower than 5 (Easy/Normal/Hard/Nightmare), and even in the latter's case, if DRLA isn't installed, or you're not at least Level 10 on your character, it shouldn't happen at all. (In other words, for it to be active, you must play in at least Hell difficulty, have a character level of 10 or more, and have DRLA active.)

So basically, stick to "Nightmare" or lower, and you should never run into an Armageddon Event.
That's the problem. I was playing on 'Normal' Skill and I STILL got an Armageddon Event! Was playing with the branch set on 'master' of course. Every time it has happened I have been playing on Normal skill! One time it happened before my character was even level 10 during a playthrough of Alien Vendetta, and it happened on MAP03 I think, IIRC, and I only managed to get through it because I replayed MAP02 and got dang lucky in finding a suit of Gothic Armor on it, and so then replayed MAP01 and MAP02 enough times to acquire the credits to onyx mod said Gothic Armor set. Still though, I was left burnt out of playing the game after that and didn't try to resume my playthrough until later in the week, after I was finished with work for the week.

EDIT: Please tell me if you all need any particulars about my system for troubleshooting beyond the fact I was and still am using the July 1st of this year build of DooM RPG and still using RLA 7.94 and version 5.2 of the monsters add-on, when I have started having these possible problems of being hit with Armageddon Events while playing at 'Normal' difficulty, if DarkPulse's posted code is correct. If needed, give me directions for, using SLADE, where to exactly look for the relevant code, which I have not touched, not dared to, with how complex RPG/RLA is, so everybody can see if my code that I am running is in sync with everybody else's. I am fluent enough to be directed to certain ACS sourcefiles and then be given a line number in said sourcefile.
Dark Pulse

Post by Dark Pulse »

Patriot1776 wrote:EDIT: Please tell me if you all need any particulars about my system for troubleshooting beyond the fact I was and still am using the July 1st of this year build of DooM RPG and still using RLA 7.94 and version 5.2 of the monsters add-on, when I have started having these possible problems of being hit with Armageddon Events while playing at 'Normal' difficulty, if DarkPulse's posted code is correct. If needed, give me directions for, using SLADE, where to exactly look for the relevant code, which I have not touched, not dared to, with how complex RPG/RLA is, so everybody can see if my code that I am running is in sync with everybody else's. I am fluent enough to be directed to certain ACS sourcefiles and then be given a line number in said sourcefile.
Should be in DoomRPG/DoomRPG/Scripts/Map.ds, Lines 1006-1015.

Then again, about 400 lines further down, 1446-1464...

if (GameSkill() != 5)
                ChangeLevel(CurrentLevel->LumpName, 0, CHANGELEVEL_NOINTERMISSION, 4);
            SetMusic("Skill5");
            SetHudSize(640, 480, false);
            SetFont("BIGFONT");
            HudMessageBold("It smells of burnt flesh and rotting corpses. It is likely you could be joining them soon.\n", HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 0, CR_BRICK, 320.4, 150.0, 1.0, 19.0);
            SetHudSize(0, 0, false);
            break;

if (GameSkill() != 6)
                ChangeLevel(CurrentLevel->LumpName, 0, CHANGELEVEL_NOINTERMISSION, 5);
            SetMusic("Skill6");
            SetHudSize(640, 480, false);
            SetFont("BIGFONT");
            HudMessage("A foul misfortune sweeps the land, turning up the darkest creatures. There is no God now.\n", HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 0, CR_GREY, 320.4, 150.0, 1.0, 19.0);
            SetHudSize(0, 0, false);
            break;
That code is not adjusting the HUD/Music/Messages if game skill does not equal 5 (Hell) or 6 (Armageddon) respectively.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Dark Pulse wrote:

if (CurrentSkill >= 4)
                return false;
            return true;
            if (CurrentSkill >= 5)
                return false;
                return false;
            return true;

Coding in my copy of Maps.ds, lines 1006 to 1015 is EXACTLY as you posted in the quote.

And uh, actually I think you may be reading that wrong, now that I've gotten some rest and am thinking with a cool head and looking at the code more carefully. From what I do know from my limited attempts to program, the operator sign " >= " is I believe universally accepted to mean 'GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO'. Going by that line of reasoning, that then means that the map event randomizer is being told to reject the Hell Event result ONLY if you are already playing on Nightmare or greater, and to reject Armageddon event ONLY if you are already playing on Hell difficulty or greater, are not at least level 10, and are not running with DRLA loaded. Meaning it seems it is allowing it to happen to in my cases of playing on Normal skill! Hmm... since the coding is only compiled at runtime it seems, I may change that coding to the following:

if (CurrentSkill < 4)
                return false;
            return true;
            if (CurrentSkill < 5)
                return false;
                return false;
            return true;
By changing the operator sign after CurrentSkill to " < " or LESS THAN, now Hell Events AND Armageddon Events will be REJECTED on Easy/Normal/Hard Skills, Hell Event accepted ONLY on Nightmare Skill or greater, and Armageddon Events ONLY at Hell Skill or greater AND have DRLA loaded AND you have gotten character to Level 10 and above.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

The point of that is to make sure you don't get a Hell event while playing on Hell or higher, and don't get an Armageddon event on Armageddon. Because you know, pointless. It starts from 0 in scripts, I think.
I do agree that it needs a minimum level requirement for these events though, I actually thought they already had them.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Yholl wrote:The point of that is to make sure you don't get a Hell event while playing on Hell or higher, and don't get an Armageddon event on Armageddon. Because you know, pointless. It starts from 0 in scripts, I think.
I do agree that it needs a minimum level requirement for these events though, I actually thought they already had them.
Me too, but you were talking about minimum map level right? Minimum map level might also be needed for 'Crack In The Veil' too, because playing Community Chest 4, shortly after I attempted a new playthrough as a test, Map Event Chance set at 20%, I got a 'Crack In The Veil' event on MAP02: Slugfest! :shock: Suffice to say, I got utterly slaughtered from not having the firepower at hand to take care of the Hellstorm Elementals. There was a double-whammy in this instance too: went back to the Outpost and prepped to go back to MAP01: Renewed Faith, and I may have made the mistake of trying to crank up the difficulty too high, setting it to Nightmare, so I could have a chance of getting better credit drops and loot with only one level to grind on, and surprise: stepped into the teleporter, set it for MAP01, and what do you know: Hell Event on MAP01. :roll:

But yes, a minimum map number before these butt-kicker events become possible is sorely needed, so when one of them, for example, come up as the first map event you encounter, and you know you simply are not ready to tackle it, you've at least got a solid bank of previously beaten maps to grind through repetitively to honestly get yourself strong enough and prepared enough to takle the major, butt-kicking event.
Dark Pulse

Post by Dark Pulse »

Patriot1776 wrote:Me too, but you were talking about minimum map level right? Minimum map level might also be needed for 'Crack In The Veil' too, because playing Community Chest 4, shortly after I attempted a new playthrough as a test, Map Event Chance set at 20%, I got a 'Crack In The Veil' event on MAP02: Slugfest! :shock: Suffice to say, I got utterly slaughtered from not having the firepower at hand to take care of the Hellstorm Elementals. There was a double-whammy in this instance too: went back to the Outpost and prepped to go back to MAP01: Renewed Faith, and I may have made the mistake of trying to crank up the difficulty too high, setting it to Nightmare, so I could have a chance of getting better credit drops and loot with only one level to grind on, and surprise: stepped into the teleporter, set it for MAP01, and what do you know: Hell Event on MAP01. :roll:

But yes, a minimum map number before these butt-kicker events become possible is sorely needed, so when one of them, for example, come up as the first map event you encounter, and you know you simply are not ready to tackle it, you've at least got a solid bank of previously beaten maps to grind through repetitively to honestly get yourself strong enough and prepared enough to takle the major, butt-kicking event.
Well see, here the thing is there's actually four different types of difficulty.
  • Game difficulty, which affects the monsters' actions (like their speed), ammo amounts, etc.
  • Player level, which obviously changes depending on your character.
  • Monster leveling curve, which depending on how you have it set up, mean monster levels get put into a range either by player level, map level number, or both.
  • The maps themselves - obviously, you'll have a harder time on a Slaughterwad than on a "real" set of levels.
Your solution falls apart due to the second one. DoomRPG allows you to carry a character from WAD to WAD, meaning that, yes, it is entirely possible to be, say, Level 75 and on MAP01. Meaning that, yes, even a Hell Revealed event on MAP01 could be not too much of a problem if you're sufficiently geared. Your solution sounds good for new characters, but it kind of falls apart for experienced, geared characters.

What would probably be a better solution is if instead of going by map number, they go by a player level. There are many other events that simply do not fire off if the player is not at a certain level:
  • Sinstorm event can't spawn at all yet. :)
  • Megaboss event can't spawn without an average player level (meaning all players in the map combined must average out to it) of 50.
  • All Auras event can't spawn without an average player level of 20.
  • Harmonized Auras event can't spawn without an average player level of 10.
  • Doomsday event can't spawn without an average player level of 20, play is being done on a completed map, AND it passes a random roll check.
  • Feeding Frenzy can't spawn without DRLA or an average player level of 20.
  • Spider Overmind event can't spawn without DRLA or an average level of 40.
  • Hell Unleashed can't spawn without an average level of 20.
  • Rainbows event is solely based on a random roll check, or if the drpg_bonus_events CVAR is off.
  • Toxic Hazard, Nuclear Bomb, Low Power, One Monster, Cracks in the Veil, Acid Rain, and Dark Zone events have no requirements.
So basically, probably the best overall solution is to give them an average player level requirement, rather than to limit at what maps it can spawn at. After all, a player can always crank up how quickly they gain experience - or slow it down if they're a masochist, meaning your solution as-is (of going by map number) could still lead to boredom if they cranked it all up, or still be punishingly hard if they've turned the gains down.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Dark Pulse wrote:So basically, probably the best overall solution is to give them an average player level requirement, rather than to limit at what maps it can spawn at. After all, a player can always crank up how quickly they gain experience - or slow it down if they're a masochist, meaning your solution as-is (of going by map number) could still lead to boredom if they cranked it all up, or still be punishingly hard if they've turned the gains down.
Events do go by player level already.
The only map-based checks are ones that prevent stuff like the Radiation event occuring on MAP01.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Uh-huh, you make good points too Dark Pulse. A lot of these level events I have not seen all of yet. I've seen the Spider Overmind one, but I've not seen many of the others. I did get a taste of Hell Unleashed recently, but I have not yet had the experience of Toxic Hazard, Acid Rain, Dark Zone, Feeding Frenzy, Doomsday, All Auras, Harmonized Auras, and Megaboss yet. So, the biggest takeaway I've gotten from all this discussions, and I'll need to save this post and keep it close it at hand whenever a nasty level event bushwhacks me in the future, are these points:
  • When starting a new character:

1. Keep Map Event Chance turned down until your arsenal starts taking shape, and you can live through a fairly serious onslaught at Hard Skill without being close to dead and EP and healing items exhausted.

2. Bank up a variety of common to uncommon/unique armor sets in your locker so you have armor options until you manage to get an adequate shield fleshed out, STOCK UP on stim vials of every type, preferably through Kill Aura missions, so you can cook up powerup stims at any time to get yourself out of a jam, BEFORE cranking up Map Event Chance.

3. After you increase Map Event Chance start building a Turret and focus on outfitting it so that on level events that have extra enemies spawning in five minutes or less, it can protect you from getting ambushed by said enemies while recharging EP or putting that next stim together to get through that next clusterfark of monsters or serious chokepoint that is preventing you from progressing to the end of the event.
I'm probably going to save this post and keep it within easy viewing while playing until I get into a full habit of doing them, so then I won't get as easily worked up over level events that I wasn't ready for, because I set myself up for it. :D
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

Why is it that sometimes while playing as the scout class the map skill will reveal enemy and item locations and not others? I haven't changed anything in the skills selection, but now it's only showing the level layout. Worked fine the previous level. Not using any cheats or anything.

Also is the prototype shield+shield combo OP? It seems to work better than most of the armors. 50 cell for 5 minutes of 80% plasma, bullet, fire, and melee damage is cheap. Plus the benefit of having shield powers active. I've got armors while shield is active disabled. :|

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”