Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Sarge1985

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.9.11 Beta - Gotta Go Fast Edit

Post by Sarge1985 »

If game with mod crash at start change in GZDoom *.ini file "vid_renderer" from 1 to 0 solve the problem.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Or don't, because that would be running Doom RPG outside its intended renderer (and vid_renderer 0 in GZDoom means ZDoom's software renderer, which means you might as well be running ZDoom anyway). And then ask for proper advice for any actual issue you have by posting the exact issue you have.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Scratch what I said before. My main suggestion for this mod right now is that there be a comprehensive manual / Readme that explains installation, mod features, what all the items, are and what they do. I'm left having to guess as I go along, and it's been a while since I've played (or tested) this mod.

Is there a changelog or list of features anywhere? If so, this could probably be edited into a manual without too much effort. I'm thinking of a manual along the lines of the readme files that come with Hexen Serpent Resurrection.
Clusterone666

Post by Clusterone666 »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:Scratch what I said before. My main suggestion for this mod right now is that there be a comprehensive manual / Readme that explains installation, mod features, what all the items, are and what they do. I'm left having to guess as I go along, and it's been a while since I've played (or tested) this mod.

Is there a changelog or list of features anywhere? If so, this could probably be edited into a manual without too much effort. I'm thinking of a manual along the lines of the readme files that come with Hexen Serpent Resurrection.
https://github.com/Kyle873/DoomRPG/wiki
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Clusterone666 wrote:
Frozenwolf150 wrote:Scratch what I said before. My main suggestion for this mod right now is that there be a comprehensive manual / Readme that explains installation, mod features, what all the items, are and what they do. I'm left having to guess as I go along, and it's been a while since I've played (or tested) this mod.

https://github.com/Kyle873/DoomRPG/wiki
If you want an exhaustive change log, you can check the actual git log here.

Some of it ranges from normal to technobabble to rage, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
Sarge1985

Post by Sarge1985 »

Rare item roulette is too imbalance. The price of 1000 Cr. per spin is to low. It will be good if price can depend on player level. On 50+ level make credits not so hard and by spinning roulette you may have many good items, powerfull weapons (if playing with Doom RL Arsenal) etc. so easy. Normal price is 5000-10000 per spin.
There is a bug with roulette. Then sell something in shop in front of "roulette-marine" roulette start to spin and money for selling item not add to account, but deducted.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Kyle873 wrote:
If you want an exhaustive change log, you can check the actual git log here.

Some of it ranges from normal to technobabble to rage, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
Hmm, the wiki is a start (I'd already read it) but it looks incomplete. I looked over the change log and it's not quite what I was expecting as far as a list of mod features. I guess I'll figure it out eventually. As it is, I still don't even know how to use the shields. I don't know what all the parts are, or what's necessary to get the shields to work.

I could help compile a manual for the mod IF I knew what all the features were. It could include a listing of all the available items and skills, what they do, and tips for using them.

ETA: Here's a working list of suggestions I have so far, including bugfixes:

* The Cyberdemon death explosion is glitchy, as it's possible to get stuck inside the Cyberdemon as it's exploding if you're standing too close. I found this out when I was using the Invulnerability power to kill one with a BFG.
* Item descriptions that are visible in the shop would be helpful, so that you know what the items are before you buy them. Also in the description, it would be helpful to know what the required rank is to unlock an item.
* Instructions for how to use a shield should be listed in the shield menu screen, since it's not immediately obvious if you're new to the mod.
* There should be a quick way to toggle Augmentations on and off so that you're not stuck in the middle of the menu getting whilst getting shot at.
* The hint about overcharging skills should be listed in the skill wheel screen.
Sarge1985

Post by Sarge1985 »

Finishing playing original Doom: Hell on Earth in 70 level/Rank 16 (+RL Arsenal and monsters) and can't save\load my character normally. In options i save my character, start New Game and try to load him, but character loading in Rank 24 and Level 110. Why so? A bug or i do something wrong?
DoomGuyJay

Post by DoomGuyJay »

So... I got the launcher, and the files. Everything is up to date... However, I get an error message when loading that goes as such; "Script error, ":ANIMDEFS.txt" line 16: Unknown texture TOKAA0"
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

can you tell me more details? (What patches, which branch you updated, etc?) I'm not one of the creators, but I've used the launcher for a long time so I should be able to help
kralysk

Post by kralysk »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:can you tell me more details? (What patches, which branch you updated, etc?) I'm not one of the creators, but I've used the launcher for a long time so I should be able to help
I had the same problem after spending some time trying to get it to load properly, still no luck.

I have gzdoom 1.8.02, using the Doom RPG version thats linked in the OP. I set the shortcut to "-file DoomRPG\DoomRPG" and get the same error as DoomGuyJay. If you need any more info, let me know.
kralysk

Post by kralysk »

Oh sorry, I wasn't trying to use the launcher in the OP to play with the mod. I was trying to play it via a shortcut and changing its target.
kralysk

Post by kralysk »

Ah, sorry for the multiple posts. But just to clarify, I'm actually getting a similar but slightly different error message than DoomGuyJay.

The message that I get when trying to run Doom 1 either through a shortcut or through the launcher is "Script error, ":ANIMDEFS.txt" line 161:
Unknown texture MEGAA0". This is from choosing Doom1 in the Doom IWAD drop down menu, with the Branch "master". Nothing selected on the Mods/Patches tab.

and if I try to use the Doom 1 Compatibility patch in the Mods/Patches tab I get even more errors: "32 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts"

I have GZDoom 1.8.2, launcher 0.9.4, with a fully updated Doom RPG.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Doom1 is shareware Doom. You need to buy a registered copy.
Edit: Wait... what? Shareware Doom doesn't even accept the -file parameter. You shouldn't be able to get to see any errors. What version of Doom are you even running?
Edit 2: And Ultimate Doom needs the additional Doom1 patch loaded with DoomRPG.
Edit MAX: And you are supposed to be using the latest GZDoom. 1.8.2 isn't going to cut it for much longer, if it even still works.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

@edward: Ultimate Doom is marked Doom1 in the DoomRPG launcher.

@Kralysk: Just like Edward said, go to patches and add Doom 1 Compatibility ANd the latest SVN build, if you haven''t tried yet.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”