Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Bofubutt

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.9.14 Beta]

Post by Bofubutt »

Yholl wrote:
Bofubutt wrote:Don't equip Death's Gaze in the UAC Outpost if you have more than one Demon Artifact on it. In fact, don't even look at the shopkeeper when you're selling weapons. I sold an unwanted weapon, causing Death's Gaze to pop up and hit him with the 0-damage hitscan, and it triggered a lockdown while I was still shopping. I've since developed a habit of approaching the shopkeeper from an angle so that my crosshair is pointed at the counter, just in case.
Honestly, in my opinion, anyone who waltzes around the UAC Outpost with their weapon armed and ready is just asking for trouble. I always go around unarmed. Death's Gaze has a check for the outpost, but it doesn't actually work right now, heh.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it a lot.
Ha, I actually reconciled it in my head as a roleplaying thing. You don't want to be walking around the Outpost with a living, evil weapon in your hands, I suppose. It's neat to hear that there's a check in the works, though.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Bofubutt wrote:I just wanted to poke my head in and heap praise upon this mod (as well as DRLA, which I have it permanently paired with). I have had countless hours of fun going through all four of the main Doom IWADs in order (Ultimate, II, TNT, and Plutonia) with the same character, then starting the process over again with a different character class and approach to gameplay. I have a Demonic Scout build (my main weapon is a fully upgraded Death's Gaze, with the full Demonic Armor set to take advantage of its capabilities), and it's a lot of fun.

In short, this is the most fun I've had with Doom. Ever. And I've been playing it since before CD drives existed. Thank you to all of the team for breathing new life into Doom.

I hesitate to call these "requests," but I do have some feedback I'd like to share:
  • In older versions, Armageddon and Hell events didn't change the actual difficulty, but rather, they just changed with monsters showed up. Personally, I preferred this approach, as it prevented a low-level player from having to grind MAP01 over and over again if they happened to get Armageddon on MAP02, for instance. (I also miss the Technophobia event. I haven't looked to see if it's still there, but if it is, I haven't had it pop up in months.)
  • In recent versions more so than before, in early levels, there is an extreme difference in difficulty between Nightmare and Hell difficulties. This mostly has to do with Shadow-aura enemies, which are now guaranteed to show up at least once in Hell or Armageddon difficulties now. In previous versions, they were challenging, but as of the most recent build, even a single round from a Shadow-aura Zombieman is pretty much a one-hit kill. Even a leveled Disruption skill (I poured all of my early points into Defense, Vitality, and Disruption) doesn't seem to stop this from happening.
  • At the same time, at a certain point, the difference in difficulty between Nightmare and Hell seems trivial. At level 50 or so, with stats anywhere between 100-150 and a good loadout, I don't even need to use Disruption or any auras to take on a Shadow-aura enemy. Even Megabosses don't pose much of a threat at that point (though I suppose this is preferable to when I could unload my entire arsenal into them with buffed up Strength and auras, and they'd just regenerate faster than I could damage them).
  • I have a beefy gaming PC from within the last year, and I get some really significant slowdown in two very specific situations: first, when I'm in the Arena with high Luck and I get a Money Drop (slows to a crawl, well under 1 FPS; if I activate the Magnetize skill during this lag period, though, it clears right up) and on the lift full of pinkies in MAP32 of Plutonia. My theory for the first one is that all of the dynamic lights (I think there are well over 100 credit objects being spawned) are causing the slowdown, yet during the course of normal gameplay, I average well over 60 FPS. For the second one, it happens only after I've gibbed all the enemies. I think the Fancy Gore Effects might not be entirely optimized in cases where they are clustered on a moving floor.
  • Don't equip Death's Gaze in the UAC Outpost if you have more than one Demon Artifact on it. In fact, don't even look at the shopkeeper when you're selling weapons. I sold an unwanted weapon, causing Death's Gaze to pop up and hit him with the 0-damage hitscan, and it triggered a lockdown while I was still shopping. I've since developed a habit of approaching the shopkeeper from an angle so that my crosshair is pointed at the counter, just in case.
  • Speaking of the UAC Outpost, it would be really awesome to be able to participate in holding off the demon invasion that we see during start-up. I know the Outpost is supposed to be where we go to do Outpost things, of course, so I'm sure this isn't an entirely practical option, but I'd be all for it being something that occurs under specific circumstances. It's just really neat to see all of these Marine allies and not get the chance to fight alongside them. (Maybe only after a certain level/rank, and there could be some sort of warning klaxon a minute before the invasion starts, letting the player finish up their business and get out of dodge, and transporting out and back to the Outpost resets the counter.)
In no way do I want this to sound like I'm complaining, though. This mod isn't just great. It's beyond great. I know that it's easy to lose sight of the fact that we, who are playing it, genuinely appreciate it, especially in a forum situation when we're making suggestions, pointing out bugs, and reporting problems we're having with it. It's really obvious that this is a huge undertaking, and the fact that it has come so far is really a testament to the skill and dedication of its creators.

(Suck-Up Mode Deactivated)
How do I turn off Armageddon Hell and events ? These events appear when my character at the low level and it is impossible to pass the levels . I wanted off only those Hell eventes without turning off the bonus of levels .
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Bofubutt wrote:Speaking of the UAC Outpost, it would be really awesome to be able to participate in holding off the demon invasion that we see during start-up. I know the Outpost is supposed to be where we go to do Outpost things, of course, so I'm sure this isn't an entirely practical option, but I'd be all for it being something that occurs under specific circumstances. It's just really neat to see all of these Marine allies and not get the chance to fight alongside them. (Maybe only after a certain level/rank, and there could be some sort of warning klaxon a minute before the invasion starts, letting the player finish up their business and get out of dodge, and transporting out and back to the Outpost resets the counter.)
I've looked into the code and found a good few checks for a demon invasion occurrence, but I'm not sure what exactly triggers it. I'm also not sure what effects raising your notoriety (e.g. pissing off the marines, killing what you need to escape and then escaping via the level teleporter) has on the overall state of the Outpost, aside from tougher spawns the next time you try, but maybe the two are related - just in case you feel like Hell has trained you to become its ultimate super soldier and you must quench the thirsts of blood and fire with the corpses of your former marine friends. :) Or it could just be completely random. I have no idea what sets that variable and don't want to go spoil code-diving.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

Doctrine Dark wrote:How do I turn off Armageddon Hell and events ? These events appear when my character at the low level and it is impossible to pass the levels . I wanted off only those Hell eventes without turning off the bonus of levels .
You can't turn them off without going into the code and commenting them out, but I've found that if you invest in some invulnerability charges, you can usually cheese your way to the exit if the level is short enough. You might not kill anything, but at least you can make it through the level and hopefully reset the event.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

@Bofubutt, the main problem is that at low levels, you aren't guaranteed to be able to afford - let alone have the rank to buy - the kinds of powerups needed.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Thank you Bofubutt for response . I agree with wildweasel, Kyle's work is magnificent with this mod but this way of Hell Events is bad implemented because the characters with lower levels, I am unable to complete the levels because Hell / Armageddon Events. Not making progress in this way.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

wildweasel wrote:@Bofubutt, the main problem is that at low levels, you aren't guaranteed to be able to afford - let alone have the rank to buy - the kinds of powerups needed.
Ah, yeah, at low levels, I can see that being an issue. Honestly, I don't mind fighting the Armageddon enemies at low levels. They're tough and do a lot of damage, but certainly not unmanageable. It's the auras that really kick my buns when it happens to me. Maybe instead of scrapping the event at low levels, there could be a level check that simply prevents it from spawning aura enemies and reinforcements?

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go cry myself into a corner from imagining what fighting a shadow Hellstorm Elemental would be like at Level Stupid.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

On this note, I feel as if I'm the only person who plays DRPG vanilla (well, with extras, but you know). More weapons _might_ be nice, but then I'd have to load up the monsters too for the FULL SUITE and that just sounds like inviting a sound amount of frustrating buttrape into my ARPG experience. This is also considering that megabosses are already scary enough - I never recommend playing a Dark Zone event on a large map you don't know how to beat.

Also, as an addendum to the whole "freezing in singleplayer" thing, I'd like to believe it was autosaves that occurred while hacking a security crate. Works fine now!
roman.rzhevtsev

Post by roman.rzhevtsev »

hey kyle how can i attach brutal doom to this mod
saw different doom rpg addons on moddb
edward850

Post by edward850 »

You don't. Doom mods simply aren't natively designed to run alongside each other, DoomRPG especially just can't be mixed with any mod (DoomRLA support is specially designed), and BrutalDoom is far too badly designed that it's equally incompatible with everything else. Kyle tried once, the short story is the patch never had a chance.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

edward850 wrote:Kyle tried once, the short story is the patch never had a chance.
I went through Brutal Doom's code.

I cried.

True story.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

Well since Death's Gaze was brought up recently I'd like to know more about the mods available to it. I modded it once before with the bonus health regeneration, but it will only go up to 200 on doom rpg. I've got around 600 health so that just seems like a wasted modification. Also the healing from the Demonic artifact only went up to vanilla doom maximum as well.
wpninja

Post by wpninja »

How do you sell weapons and close box menus is your mouse doesn't have a mouse4?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

wpninja wrote:How do you sell weapons and close box menus is your mouse doesn't have a mouse4?
The shop menu interface is designed so that all the necessary buttons can be changed from the Customize Controls menu.
catoidi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by catoidi »

I cannot run the latest version of GZDoom on my pc (Long story short, problems with opengl I can't do anything about), so would I run into any problems playing this in ZDoom?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”