Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
SAraisXenoQueen

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.9.14 Beta]

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

I think that would be a coding nightmare. but i'm in the same ship. Except inverted: I keep all the rarest ones I can find and usually pitch the rest-

This is usually because shortly before the 12th map, I'm swimming in high-grade weapons.
ShadowTiger

Post by ShadowTiger »

Just got into this mod. It's absolutely stunning. Truly, kudos to its authors and testers. It's a work of art. Magnifacently entertaining. Just a few questions though. (And yes, I am on the latest version. I just got it from DRD a few days ago.

Bug: 1) What is actually happening when I can't seem to get the DRPG menu up, when the same key worked fine before? Same with the Shop menu button. I hear the sound cue, but all it does is make my currently highlighted skill appear and disappear. The Skill Wheel doesn't even appear after I switch to a blank skill. I feel like it's a bug of some sort, but I'll be damned if I know what I did to trigger it. If I start a new game, even without closing GZDoom, everything works again.

This might be caused by the "resurrect" console command though. I'll do more experimentation.

Bug: 2) Whenever I step into Doom 2's Map 07, Crusher, and a few maps after that EXCEPT for map 12 for some reason, it turns into a veritable slideshow. Framerate drops to less than 1. Console works just fine though. What's going on? Why is map12 immune? O.o
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

ShadowTiger wrote:"resurrect" console command
Found your problem. The resurrect command breaks DRPG (and some other mods), as it's not even a viable cheat. If I recall correctly, it's pretty much just a gross hack to resurrect a PlayerPawn, which is otherwise impossible.
ShadowTiger wrote:Bug: 2) Whenever I step into Doom 2's Map 07, Crusher, and a few maps after that EXCEPT for map 12 for some reason, it turns into a veritable slideshow. Framerate drops to less than 1. Console works just fine though. What's going on? Why is map12 immune? O.o
As for this, your CPU and/or GPU is getting overloaded. Trying turning on toaster mode (which is somewhere in the DRPG menu under Options), and see if that does anything.

...also, Crusher is MAP06. MAP07 is Dead Simple.
user5124

Post by user5124 »

For some reason I can't figure out how to buy the turret. I have 20 turret parts, and "buying" it takes 5. Pressing the use key "w" doesn't do anything, even though it says to press that key.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

When you first "buy" the turret, you need to put it into Maintenance mode first. IIRC, you do this by pressing Jump. This will cost some credits over time. Make sure you've also bought it at least one type of gun, because I don't remember it coming with one by default.
user5124

Post by user5124 »

Pressing space WORKED!

It says to use "shift" for maintenance , but that does nothing* until you actually use space. I have to say, this mod is incredible. I've been playing it for a while, and it really feels like it's all coming together. Fantastic.
Last edited by user5124 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarController

Post by StarController »

Kyle873 wrote:*snip* but we're swamped right now with the GDCC conversion and about 9000 other things that take higher priority on my todo list.
I don't mean to be the guy who's always behind the times, (though I seem to be the only one who asks about errors that are consistently already patched) but what *is* the GDCC conversion? has this been discussed anywhere on the forum?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

StarController wrote:I don't mean to be the guy who's always behind the times, (though I seem to be the only one who asks about errors that are consistently already patched) but what *is* the GDCC conversion? has this been discussed anywhere on the forum?
The GDCC conversion is basically converting DoomRPG to another language. Most Doom mods just use ACS for scripting, but DoomRPG uses DS, which is more powerful and flexible. Unfortunately, it's also kinda broken and abandoned, so DoomRPG is being converted to GDCC, which is like, the king of monster frisbee super scripting in Doom. It should fix a lot of long time errors in DoomRPG, and also open up a lot more flexibility in what will be added going forward from now too.

It's gonna take quite a while, but when it's done and stable, progress should happen once more.
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

Yholl wrote:The GDCC conversion is basically converting DoomRPG to another language. Most Doom mods just use ACS for scripting, but DoomRPG uses DS, which is more powerful and flexible. Unfortunately, it's also kinda broken and abandoned, so DoomRPG is being converted to GDCC, which is like, the king of monster frisbee super scripting in Doom. It should fix a lot of long time errors in DoomRPG, and also open up a lot more flexibility in what will be added going forward from now too.
To clarify: It is being ported to C, which is possible because of GDCC. GDCC being the replacement for DH-acc, the DS compiler.
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

I dunno man. DRPG+RLA are already pretty impressive. I don't know what else you're going to manage here.

Heh, Maybe ID should put you in charge of the DRPG spinoffs
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

I had a question about the map teleporter in the outpost: does it read only ExMx and MAPxx formats? It'd be interesting to run with a huge map pack of say, 100 maps and hunt for events/hidden stuff. 32 maps is too little imo. :twisted:
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

.ex.inferis. wrote:I had a question about the map teleporter in the outpost: does it read only ExMx and MAPxx formats? It'd be interesting to run with a huge map pack of say, 100 maps and hunt for events/hidden stuff. 32 maps is too little imo. :twisted:
It should be able to read any amount of maps;it tracks them based on what order you go to maps.
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

Fantastic. Thank you. :D
Echofinder

Post by Echofinder »

So three bugs, one might be an issue with gzdoom and not the mod, and one that might be more of a feature or inevitable issue due to the way it works.

First off, there's this thing where the outpost has a low-ceiling made entirely out of water. Restarting the game usually removes it and it happens randomly. It only seems to happen at the outpost and nowhere else.

Second, it's possible for a certain teleportation-themed event to make the level impossible to finish. Sometimes by teleporters that go into monster holding rooms that have no exits or spawning an exit node in the middle of a hallway that makes it impossible to pass due to its push effect. All the teleporters on my side either go somewhere unrelated or into a telefrag via spawning too close to something that you shouldn't be close to.

Finally, some weapons will lose their mods after being withdrawn from the shop; particularly the demonic ones.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Echofinder wrote:First off, there's this thing where the outpost has a low-ceiling made entirely out of water. Restarting the game usually removes it and it happens randomly. It only seems to happen at the outpost and nowhere else.
Definitely either GZDoom or your graphics drivers. That is quite amazing, hahahaha.
Echofinder wrote:Second, it's possible for a certain teleportation-themed event to make the level impossible to finish. Sometimes by teleporters that go into monster holding rooms that have no exits or spawning an exit node in the middle of a hallway that makes it impossible to pass due to its push effect. All the teleporters on my side either go somewhere unrelated or into a telefrag via spawning too close to something that you shouldn't be close to.
Leave the level and come back. No level is impossible to finish, because they can always be refreshed, except in one particular case that wouldn't block you from finishing anyway.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”