Welcome. A few weeks ago I decided to undertake a project that's been stirring in my head for a while: A (G)ZDoom-based Doom RPG which can be easily played with the vanilla IWADs and PWAD map packs. I first searched around to see if this had already been done, and I found a few bits here and there, but nothing as extensive as I had wanted to implement. So I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands, and after a few weeks worth of work, and replaying Doom 1 and 2 far more than I ever have before, this is what I have for you: my Doom RPG.
- A Level-up and stat system, allowing you to customize the properties of your character for your own playstyle
- A currency system, Credits, which are dropped by monsters when killed
- A Rank system with regular payouts of Credits, higher rank yields better shop discounts and a better payout, rank increases as you kill monsters
- A combo system which will increase your experience and rank gain as you kill more monsters in fast succession
- A skill system with various skills including Healing, Support, Powerups, Auras (buffs), Attacks, Summons and general Utility skills, more are being added
- A shop where you can use your credits to buy weapons, ammo and supplies
- Many inventory items now exist, including tiered health restoration items and re-done and new armor types
- A new HUD to show new information such as EP, Credits, Combo Counters, Rune/Powerup timers, and more (and the mugshot, of course )
- Items are now randomized and varied
- Full compatibility with DoomRL Arsenal and it's Monster Pack
- The Outpost map, which can be accessed at any time with the Transport skill, contains things such as the Shop, Arena, Lockers, Skill Computer, Token Converter, Regeneration Pads, and more...
- A Stim system which lets you give yourself temporary stat and powerup bonuses, build your own drugs!
- A locker system for DRLA which lets you store your excess weapons, armors and modpacks for later use/retrieval in the Outpost
- An arena where you can level up and gain bonuses, as well as murder everything
- Shop contains a Borderlands-style Shop special item which can only be purchased once, and is swapped out about every 10 minutes
Doom RPG Launcher
To help users deal with the complexity of loading Doom RPG, which can quickly turn into a Bethesda loadfest if you're loading many things at once, I have decided to create a launcher for the mod. The launcher will automatically launch (G)ZDoom with the options you choose so you won't need to fumble around with command lines or batch files. It can also automatically update your copy of Doom RPG, which happens a lot I might add.
The Launcher requires .NET 4.5 to function properly.
Join the shenanigans in my IRC channel! #DoomRPG at esper.net, or use this web client.
YOU WILL NEED THE LATEST SVN VERSION OF GZDOOM TO RUN THIS MOD! ZDOOM IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED!
DOOMRLA DOES NOT COME WITH DOOM RPG! YOU NEED TO GO HERE TO GET IT!
DoomRPG on Github