Welcome to Samsara.
This is a multiplayer project inspired by crossover fighting games, designed to bring these games that people love so much and give them a second life on the multiplayer front, taking the heroes and the weapons and pitting them all aside (and sometimes against) each other. When you play Samsara, you pick a hero from a classic FPS game, spawn in the battlefield with abilities and weapons from their original game, and then proceed to lay waste among all those that stand in your way in whatever iwad or levelset of your choice. Each of the heroes are strictly limited to their own weapons, so you won't have a nonsensical random mash-up of people wielding weapons just not suited for them.
Want to play in Heretic? No problem. Give Chex Quest a whirl? Go right ahead. Wanted to like HeXen but didn't like the low amount of weapons? Go on, enjoy it. Want to go strictly vanilla and play Doom II? Be my guest. Current iwads supported are Doom, Doom II/TNT/Plutonia, Heretic, HeXen, Chex Quest, Strife, and Harmony, and more are to come.
The goal of Samsara is threefold:
1: To provide an interesting competitive mod that will enhance, rather than break, deathmatch/capture the flag/etc play. While obviously nothing will match pure vanilla for srs tourney play, if desired one can have a match full of Doomguys and have little to no differences from vanilla play--and someone joining in as Corvus should not dramatically change things.
2: To stay true to the spirit of classic FPSes by presenting these characters with as close to their original abilities and weapons as reasonably possible. Playing with them should be very much like playing their original game.
3: To provide a fun experience complimentary with many other levelsets, be they cooperative or competitive, so that people can live as their favorite heroes once again and put them through wringers so many other inventive people have designed. Other heroes should not differ so drastically from Doom II that other mods would now be unplayable.
Whether you play in co-op and tear through endless hordes of monsters or play in deathmatch and tear through whatever friends or enemies challenge you, Samsara offers you the ability to live through your favorite games again on new battlefields or new iwads entirely.
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... v0.29b.pk3 - 0.29b Zandronum download, in pk3. (33.9 megs)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhyzoo09zqqs5 ... v0.29b.pk7 - 0.29b Zandronum download, in pk7. (24.7 megs)
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... 29b-zd.pk3 - 0.29b ZDoom download, in pk3.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfhd0rgzw5zsa ... 29b-zd.pk7 - 0.29b ZDoom download, in pk7.
https://github.com/SamsaraDevs/samsaraJunk/wiki/Addons - More add-ons can be located here, for additional gameplay options.
The man. The myth. The icon. The legend. The hero.
Doomguy has stood against untold legions throughout all 20 years of his one-man war on Hell, and here he stands ready to go against more. He is a man that needs no introduction, as his abilities have been proven and honed and harnessed time and time again--the rest of the heroes will have to work double to even match the bar Doomguy is constantly raising.
...And I Feel Mighty: Doomguy holds the Super Shotgun, the most devastating weapon in the game and cementing him as the most damaging hero. No other weapon can match its reliability and sheer power.
To Hell With Respect!: Doomguy is the most unchanged in his function and his abilities. Playing with him is just like playing Doom II, so show these newcomers who they better call granddaddy.
CHANGES FROM DOOM II:
- The Berserk operates off the Chainsaw as well as the Fist, allowing Doomguy to have a DPS alternative rather than focusing on only Burst.
^- : When in Berserk, the Chainsaw deals 7-70 damage every 3 tics.
- The Berserk fist does more damage (from 20-200 to 120-240) and has different sounds. This allows the Berserk fist to be a viable weapon in comparison to the Rocket Launcher and Super Shotguns, especially against larger enemies.
- The Fist no longer alerts monsters, because that was stupid.
- Doomguy never had to deal with ghosts. In Heretic and HeXen, the Shotgun, Super Shotgun, and Chaingun pass harmlessly through ghosts.
- There are not many other changes. In Samsara, the games meld to Doom II's gameplay, rather than vice-versa.
The Heretic himself, Corvus is a noble elven warrior and mage driven by fury and a near-psychotic thirst to avenge his people. His quest has sent him from fighting legions of the damned and undead in mystical fantasy lands to fighting legions of the damned and undead in alternate lands. No matter where he is, though, his bloodlust will not be quenched until he has personally slaughtered every enemy he can get his hand on.
Roll d20 for Damage: Heretic's damage scale worked on a much higher probability curve than Doom's, and so Corvus' weapons do much more random damage. You're just as likely to down someone with the Dragon Claw in seven shots as you are in fifteen.
Bag of Holding: Corvus can carry the most inventory items out of all the Heroes, with every major item being carryable. Corvus even starts with the Bomb of the Ancients and Mine of the Ancients, which provide powerful explosives on demand. Even his Ultimate is a carryable item--which gives him a heavy advantage in resourcefulness over the other Heroes.
CHANGES FROM HERETIC:
- The Tomed staff has had its damage increased from 18-81 to 60-120, to give Corvus a bit of a burst damage oomph.
- The Elven Wand did not have any BRIGHT frames in Heretic.
- The Staff no longer alerts monsters.
- The tomed Elven Wand no longer passes through ghosts. All characters' basic weapons should be able to hit ghosts.
- The Firemace was incredibly underwhelming as an ultimate weapon. It has been moved to a slot II weapon, rather than VII.
- The Firemace uses less ammo, shooting four balls for every one ammo. This is to differentiate it from the Dragon Claw.
- The tomed Dragon Claw and Hellstaff use less ammo--this is to tempt players away from just tomed Firemacing everything.
- The Staff and Gauntlets of the Necromancer no longer lower and re-raise when the Tome of Power runs out, so as to smooth out gameplay.
- The Gauntlets of the Necromancer and Tomed Staff now have GLDefs, because pretty.
- The tomed Dragon Claw fires a near-hitscan now, rather than a very fast projectile. Giving it slower speeds glitched the rippers and caused them to go all over the map.
- The Tome of Power works more like Heretic II than Heretic, being a permanent inventory item.
CHEX WARRIOR: Defense
Fred Chexter sets himself apart from his compatriots by being a genuinely nice (if not shy) guy among the gritty badasses that populate the Wheel of Samsara. He doesn't even kill his enemies, he just sends them back to their home dimension! That being said, he is still a trained warrior and the IFOC's absolute best warrior; whether it’s being on the wrong end of a coachgun or face to face with the nastiest nightmares Hell can offer, he never flinches. Just because he's friendly doesn't mean you're suddenly safe.
The Mission Continues...: Chexter ain't got time to bleed...or the rating to. Hailing from an easy game where all the enemies did negligible damage without threat of death means that he's just as safe here. Let the kids play--Chex Warrior takes 20% less damage from everything.
Hold the Party Mix: The Zorch Propulsor seems like a typical rocket launcher, but sometime in between Chex Quest 1 and 3 Chexter got tired of accidentally zorching his own leg to another place. In 3, the Zorch Propulsor was modified to do no self-damage--and kept in here.
CHANGES FROM CHEX QUEST:
- Before, the Mini-Zorcher's animation was pressing the button after it fires. Now it's pressing as it fires.
- The Bootspoon no longer alerts monsters, and has a sound for impacting walls.
- All of Chexter's weapons leave small zorch puffs when hitting things now, for easier identifying of impact.
- The GLDefs for Chex Quest were yellow-ish, since they inherited from Doom. Now they're red, to match the zorch colors.
- The Large Zorcher reloads a slight bit quicker now (from a firing time of 37/44 tics to 32/37 tics) to differentiate it from Doomguy's Shotgun.
- All of Chexter's weapons are slightly more accurate (from bullet spread of 5.6 to 4) to differentiate them from Doomguy's, and to make up for the lack of an SSG.
- The Phasing Zorcher didn't leave marks on the wall in vanilla Chex Quest, but now does because pretty.
- The Super Large Zorcher was planned for Chex Quest 3, but didn't make it through. If it did, it likely would have been an SSG clone.
B.J. BLAZKOWICZ: Marksman
William "B.J." Blazkowicz was the one that started it all, a secret agent that personally fought his way out of the horrifying Nazi prisons and personally slew Adolf Hitler, armed with nothing more than a pistol, a knife, and undying devotion to his country. Having gone up against an endless sea of Nazis, mystic beasts, undead monstrosities, and towering madmen, B.J. has seen it all and fought it all. If it’s a threat to the world, he will put it down. Without questions, without hesitation, and without compromises.
Call Apogee, Say 'Bullshit!': Poor B.J. was from an era where weapon design was much simpler. He has no Shotgun weapons, no Slot III weapon, and no weapons that use Ammo 2. Any Ammo 2 picked up is instead converted to Ammo 1.
Heroes Don't Quit: Being a POW in Nazi camps taught B.J. some survival techniques the hard way. When low on health, B.J. can drink up certain piles of gibs and blood for a boost. Restricted only to decorations, unfortunately--can't slaughter imps and drink off them.
CHANGES FROM WOLFENSTEIN:
- I was unable to get a hand on Wolfenstein for the Mac, so I don't know how accurate/inaccurate the Flamethrower/Rocket Launcher is to their game.
- The Knife's unupgraded damage is more true to Wolf 3D, but its upgraded graphics/sound are the ones in Wolf3D.
- When upgraded, the knife does damage on every tic it's thrust in, reminiscent of other slot I weapons.
- The Spear of Destiny is now an actual weapon. Its behavior is entirely original, though its appearance is based on the Spear of Destiny boxart. A lot of Doom II levelsets practically require an ultimate weapon eventually.
- Drinking up gibs is at minimum 20 HP, rather than 10.
A high cleric of the Church, second only to Traductus, Parias is both a man of faith and a man of action. His righteousness is rivalled only by his terrifying power, and he can swap at a moment's notice from praying for his enemies' souls to hacking their spine in twain. Being a student of both the arcane and the martial arts has made him a robust fighter that can swap from a physical to a mystical fighting capability whenever a situation calls for it, and makes him perhaps the most terrifying Hero in the Wheel of Samsara.
Fianchetto: In HeXen, every class had 0.25 RadiusDamageFactor--which meant they only took a quarter damage from explosives. This is retained here, allowing him to wade through the fray with minimal damage to get closer.
Boden's Mate: HeXen’s gameplay had a large emphasis on mobility. Not only did the classes have different speeds, but there was also quite a bit of platforming. In order to help close the distance and get into melee, Parias has Baratus’ runspeed and HeXen’s jump height.
CHANGES FROM HEXEN:
- The most obvious: Parias now has seven weapons instead of four.
- The Mace of Contrition no longer alerts monsters.
- The Firestorm's surrounding fireballs do more damage, having their A_Explode increased from radius 20/explosive damage 20 to 64/32, so as to match the power of the Plasma Rifle.
- The Hammer of Retribution forces its radius damage on enemies, so as to make up for its much slower speed with Rocket Launcher power.
- Timon's Axe and the Frost Shards have been given a little bit of an extra melee oomph, in order to emphasize his role as a close-range brawler.
- The Serpent Staff's poison bolts were reduced in damage from 5-40 to 4-16 per shot, so as to match Chaingun power.
- The heal of the Serpent Staff's melee has been increased and quickened, and can now heal for beyond 100 health, so as to give it an extra use.
- The Wraithverge takes 20 of each ammo now, rather than 17, to match the costliness of other ultimate weapons.
- The Wraithverge's rate of fire has been slightly decreased by adding a 20-tic hang time at the end, to match the slow rate of fire of other ultimate weapons.
- The Frost Shards' rate of fire has been slightly increased by reducing the after-shot frames from 15 tics to 11, to assist it in crowd-control.
- The Flechette no longer hurts allied players or the player, so as to reduce griefing.
- The Sapphire Wand's radius/height was reduced from 12/8 to 3/2, so as to help Parias in maps where he needs to shoot through the bars.
- Parias' mana 2 has a limit of 300 due to running off Cells, rather than 200.
- The Mystic Ambit Incant sprays armor shards as well as giving health, so as to additionally assist allies.
- The Wraithverge is now picked up in one piece, rather than needing to be assembled. This is to match the other games' ultimates.
DUKE NUKEM: Crowd Control
He's rude. He's crude. He's a bad dude with a hell of a bad attitude.
He's the number one bastard on several alien races' personal shitlists, and he made it to the top not with any special training, armor, or powers, but just by being the most hardcore son of a bitch imaginable. He's just a joe with a shotgun, a mean boot, and a mouth that can't stay shut--and that's all he needs. These assholes are going to have to go through him to get to the multiverse...and he just ran out of bubblegum.
Step Right Up and Get Some!: Bosses in Duke Nukem 3D were not immune to splash damage from explosives. Because of this, all explosive weapons Duke wields force radius and splash damage, even on those enemies normally immune to it. Go wild on the bosses!
It's My Way or...Hell, It's My Way!: Being from the Build engine, Duke moves different, fights different, and plays different. His movement is slower, the Soulsphere gives him less health, and he can't take damage as well. He could die very easily in Duke Nukem 3D--so make sure you don’t die here.
CHANGES FROM DUKE NUKEM 3D/64:
- Duke's former standing sprite has been repurposed as a shooting sprite.
- Significantly more taunts all around, since it's an integral part of Duke's character.
- Animation times and sprites locations were tried to make as close as possible as their Duke Nukem 3D/64 counterparts, but there may be subtle differences.
- Damage values for the explosive Duke Nukem weapons are not as documented as well as the idtech1 weapons. Most of them are based off the Doomguy's similar weapons.
- The Chaingun Cannon has a new animation for firing, because replicating the old one was a bitch and a half.
- The Chaingun Cannon's bullets do 15 damage rather than 9 damage, in order to give it a boost over the other Chaingun weapons.
- The Pipebombs, RPG, and Explosive Shotgun work off the same ammo, now, rather than being separate.
- The Explosive Shotgun has been brutally nerfed. It is now a separate weapon, rather than an ugprade for the shotgun, its spread is much wider, its cocking has been drastically lengthened, and its power diminished.
- The Mighty Boot works much different, due to Zandronum's/ZDoom's inability to have alt-fire used alongside primary fire in a way that works with Netplay. Rather than being used alongside weapons for extra oomph, now it puts some distance between an enemy and user.
- The Freezethrower shots no longer halve damage when bouncing off walls, due to engine limitations.
- The Freezethrower's shots do 22 damage rather than 20 damage, due to its slightly slower RoF compared to the Plasma Rifle.
- The Pipebomb's first, second, and third bounce are not a fixed height/amount, due to how ZDoom handles bouncing.
- The Pipebomb's three counts of bounce include walls, due to how ZDoom handles bouncing.
- Deployed pipebombs can no longer be shot up or picked up, due to my inability to figure it out.
SECURITY OFFICER: Suppression
Freedom. That's all he wants, now.
In one bitter day, the Security Officer went from lazily sleeping in to being in an eternal fight for his life at the behest of arrogant and psychotic AIs. Day in and day out, he fought endless battles without any reprieve, rest, or hope for peace, and even alternate timelines and dimensions held no solace for him. The only comfort he could take was in survival...and now even that is in constant peril--in this damned Wheel, the fighting will never cease. Instead, now it runs eternally.
Will he ever find rest?
To Never Shoot Where I Could Use Grenades: Several of the Security Officer's weapons boast an alt-fire--the magnums (when a second is picked up), shotguns (also when a second is picked up), assault rifle, alien weapon, and wave motion cannon. These different options allow him different methods to approach situations, or simply to shoot harder and faster.
Never Stop Running, Never Stop Firing: Long range does not exist to the Security Officer. His bullets are not instant hitscan, like the other heroes--they move at a much slower pace. Likewise, his projectiles have a slower travelling speed and are likely to easily be dodged.
CHANGES FROM MARATHON:
- In Zandronum, weapons bob from side to side instead of up and down. ZDoom has Marathon-style bobbing.
- Grenades, fists, and charged fusion shots no longer trigger switches, due to engine limitations. Sorry, Vidmasters.
- The Security Officer now has a pain sound, so as to indicate when shots hit in DM play.
- The Shotgun has had its damage reduced, because 200-240 damage with a single shotgun in 40 tics HAH HAH HAH NOPE.
- In co-op, the Rocket Launcher has had its damage buffed from 250-300 to 305-390. Due to its incredibly slow RoF compared to the other rocket launchers, it needed a bit of a burst damage oomph.
- The Infrared has had its color changed from blue to green, due to Zandronum's lack of support for bluemap yet. ZDoom players don't have this issue.
- The Magnum can now be used underwater, just in case someone hasn't found a chainsaw in a water map.
- The Alien weapon has a lot more ammo and generally does more damage, in order to justify how much rarer it is compared to Marathon.
- The Fusion Pistol's charge no longer shakes and/or does higher beeps. Sorry.
- The TOZT Napalm Unit has double the travelling speed, due to Doom's faster-paced gameplay and movement.
- The Fusion Pistol's overcharge-to-death is no longer an explosion, due to being able to grief people with the resulting explosion.
- In DM, the SMG's damage has been reduced--its accuracy and rate of fire meant it could shred through people far too easily. Still the same in co-op/singleplayer.
- The Wave Motion Cannon is now a useable weapon. Doom's/HeXen's design practically requires an ultimate weapon for a lot of areas.
- The HUD no longer holds a bar for oxygen, due to Zandronum's lack of an AirTime variable in its SBarInfo. It instead now represents armor.
Originally a special forces marine, ever since joining the Slipgate program Ranger has seen a thousand deaths and escaped from a million more on a billion worlds. He has gone from military bases to medieval castles to arcane dimensions to hellish abysses to planes of eldritch madness best not spoken of. Through them all, Ranger has proven resilience and power that give even the most terrifying elder ones pause--with strange aeons, even death itself may die under fire of a well-aimed 9.9lb 750mm RHA rocket.
Go Forth and Kick Ass: Quake's air physics were much looser, and practically invented strafejumping and rocketjumping. Ranger thus hangs in the air slightly longer than normal, and can rocketjump much easier.
Dissolution of Eternity: While Ranger takes just as much damage as normal, he still has one fatal defensive flaw. When picking up a Soulsphere or Megasphere, the amount of health received slowly degenerates. This does not affect health bonus pickups.
CHANGES FROM QUAKE:
- Quake had such a lower damage scale than Doom it wasn't even funny. The Vore had 400 HP, equivalent to two Centaurs. In co-op, his weapons have been buffed the fuck out.
- The Quad Damage is now a reuseable item, partly to help with the aforementioned damage issues, and partly because there was no appropriate item to replace it with. (Berserks didn't work--too rare, too erratically placed, not to mention should be more utility)
- The Double-Barreled Shotgun uses only one shell now instead of two, for the same reason. (64 damage for one shot hah hah hah hah NOPE)
- In Quake, the projectiles had no hitbox. Here, their hitbox is simply obscenely tiny.
- Gravity has been ever-so-slightly reduced so as to simulate Quake's strange air physics.
- The nails and rockets originally travelled at the same speed. Here, nails have been increased to speed 75.
- Lava Nails, Multi-Grenades, and Multi-Rockets were handled a bit differently. There were no alt-fires, much less that swapped between weapons, and the ammo pickups were separate.
- The Double Barreled Shotgun's, Nailgun's, and Laser Cannon's animations are slightly smoother.
- The Shotgun and Double-Barreled Shotgun's damages are random by 1d3, while Quake's damage values were completely static. Turns out people are getting upset for using fake bullets. Whoops.
- The trail behind the Nails and Lava Nails has been made a LOT more obvious, so enemies can see it more easily in DM.
- : Doom, the Doomguy, and everything within the Doom umbrella is property of id Software.
^- : Doomguy's Falling, Taunt, and Landing sound was taken from Quake III.
^- : Doomguy's burning scream was by cdrk.
^- : Doomguy's burning sprites by Blox.
^- : Doomguy's puzzfail voice by Roy Conrad.
- : Corvus, Heretic, and the respective sprites/sounds are property of Raven Software.
^- : Corvus' Burn Death, Taunt, and Falling sounds were taken from Heretic II.
- : Chex Warrior, Chex Quest, and the respective sprites/sounds are property of Digital Cafe.
^- : Chex Quest 3 actors and decorate by Charles Jacobi.
^- : Super Large Zorcher designed with assistance by Charles Jacobi.
^- : Mini-Zorcher pickup sprite by Boingo the Clown.
^- : Flemoid splat sounds by Nash.
^- : Flemoid death sound taken from audionautics, anechoix, and flasher21 on FreeSound.
^- : Cyclops Flemoid death sound taken from Killing Floor.
^- : Lord Snotfolus' Flemoid summoning taken from ZDoom Wars.
- : B.J. Blazkowicz, Wolfenstein, and the respective sprites/sounds are property of id Software.
^- : Wolfenstein 3D HUD graphics ripped by Ultimecia.
^- : B.J. Blazkowicz skin done by Joseph Dugas.
^- : Wolfenstein weapon sprites ripped by Lotos.
^- : Flamethrower/Rocket Launcher sprites ripped by Locke_gb7.
^- : Flamethrower/Rocket Launcher pickup sprites by Laz Rojas.
^- : Wolfenstein sounds ripped by Kinsie and Counter.
^- : Knife pickup sprite by Scuba Steve.
^- : Numerous sounds by as3sfxr
^- : Gibbing sprites by Peter Bark
- : Parias, Hexen, and the respective sprites/sounds are property of Raven Software.
^- : Widescreen sprites for the Firestorm by BlackFish.
^- : Muscular polishing on Timon's Axe and Hammer of Retribution by BlackFish.
- : Duke Nukem and the respective sprites/sounds are property of Gearbox and 3DRealms.
^- : Duke Nukem sprites and weapons ripped by Dolphman.
^- : Mighty Boot system inspired by Brutal Doom.
^- : Explosive Shotgun ripped by Chronoteeth.
^- : Duke Nukem 3D-style gibs by Voltlock.
^- : Freezethrower self-damage and streamlined taunting by Doomrater.
^- : Pipebomb detonation via bullets by Doomrater.
^- : Widescreen RPG sprites by BlackFish and Turbo.
^- : Widescreen Freezethrower sprite by BlackFish.
- : The Security Officer, Durandal, Marathon, and the respective sprites/sounds are property of Bungie.
^- : Wave Motion Cannon sprite by Hopper.
^- : Security Officer sprites ripped and assembled by Hopper. Infinite thanks for your generosity!
^- : The Security Officer's wielding-the-M1-Alien-Weapon sprites by PresidentPeople.
^- : Custom Pain sprites by PresidentPeople.
^- : Majority of resources/decorate given graciously by TwelveEyes. Thank you very much!
^- : Double, triple, and quadruple checking for Marathon accuracy by PresidentPeople.
^- : Synthesized fire mode by Xaser.
^- : HUD inspired by Steven TzÃÂ©'s M1A1 Enhanced hud.
^- : Marapfhont and Squarish Sans by ChristTrekker.
- : Quake, Ranger, the Quakeguy, Quake III, and the respective models/sounds are property of id Software.
^- : Majority of weapon coding done by Ijon Tichy, adapted from Quakeweps.
^- : Regeneration icon by Ijon Tichy.
^- : Weapon rips done by leileilol.
^- : Gib, rocket, and grenade graphics provided by DBThanatos and Major Cooke.
^- : Ranger model by Disapota.
^- : Model to sprite conversions done with the help of D-Grafix.
^- : .mdl to .md2 conversion done with the help of Senor Casarajo's Noesis.
^- : Mjolnir and the Laser Cannon by Ritual Entertainment, formerly Hipnotic Interactive.
- : Fuckloads of ACS design, re-design, and enhancement done by Ijon Tichy.
- : The Zorch cry for the Cyberdemon was taken from Duke Nukem 3D.
- : Sounds for item pickups were taken from:
^- : The Health pickups were taken from Painkiller, Quake III, and Quake IV.
^- : The Armor pickups were taken from Fatal/Fake.
^- : The Soulsphere pickup was taken from Super Street Fighter IV.
^- : The Megasphere pickup was taken from Unreal Tournament III.
^- : The Invisibility pickup was taken from Fatal/Fake.
^- : The Invulnerability pickup was taken from Super Street Fighter IV.
^- : The Infrared Light Visor was taken from Devil May Cry 3.
^- : Ammo 1 pickups taken from Devil May Cry 3 and Unreal Tournament III.
^- : Ammo 2 pickups taken from Unreal Tournament III.
^- : Ammo 3 pickups taken from Painkiller.
^- : Ammo 4 pickups taken from Painkiller and Unreal Tournament III.
^- : Backpack pickup taken from Unreal Tournament III.
- : Full-screen hud uses Sky Driver's "MugHud" as a basis.
- : Boss monologue introductions inspired by Lioyd_Irving.
- : Heretic widescreen HUD graphics nicked from Neoworm.
- : HeXen widescreen HUD graphics nicked from Nash.
- : All bar HUDs given widescreen support by BlackFish.
- : Interframes for Doomguy's weapons done by Perkristian.
^- : Super Shotgun DECORATE done by Phi108.
- : B.J.'s bot chatfile written by pkfan2004.
- : Weapon bar streamlining and banning the jetpack done with major help by Llewellyn.
- : Global key pickups taken from Shared Keys by Synert.
- : Xspheres inventory stuff for Corvus done by TehVappy50.
- : GLDefs for enemies provided by Popsoap.
- Double-tapping Duke's jetpack to try and extend the lifespan of it now actually dramatically decreases its lifespan.
- sv_shotgunstart is now respected.
- The Fusion Pistol overcharge now explodes again.
- The first Fusion Pistol beep is now silent, and you can now charge for one more second.
- Ranger now has invisibility to Quake's Ring of Shadows! He's much less visible when picking up a blursphere (10% visibility), and his weapons don't alert monsters.
- Everyone Frozen states has been completely reworked. This should fix all of the strange ice-related bugs that keep popping up in DM.
- samsara_peoplediewhentheyarekilled has been added as an optional cvar. What does it do? Well, call it a Party Mode...
- Parias' Wraithverge has been converted to Decorate. This allows for different behavior in co-op and DM, at the expense of the ghosts now acting like complete idiots. In DM, the ghosts do dramatically more damage, move faster as long as the player is in sight, and spawn with a large explosion.
- samsara_chainsawstart has been added. If 1, gives you your chainsaw weapon. If 2, gives you your chainsaw weapon, plus full ammo.
- samsara_uniquestart has been added. See the wiki for details.
- A melee-only mode has been added! If it's on, all your non-fist weapons are taken, you can't pick up weapons, and uniques change to effects more useful in Punchdrunk. Use "samsara_punchdrunk 1" to turn it on.
- In case you like the Punchdrunk uniques more than normal ones, samsara_punchdrunkuniques is exactly what you want.
- Same deal with the Punchdrunk chainsaws. samsara_punchdrunksaws switches the saws to their Punchdrunk variants.
- Dark Imps, Hectebi, and SSGGuys now shoot through spooky ghosts.
- Corvus' cooldown for the time bombs has been reduced from 70 tics to 15.
- The Fusion Pistol can now actually bypass player invulnerability, as it should.
- B.J. has had his Clip ammo doubled upon picking up Ammo 2.
- B.J. Blazkowic's Machine Gun now gives 20 of ammo 1 on pickup, rather than 6.
- samsara_armormode has been added. The modes available are Normal, Quake, Quake (old), Marathon, and None.
- You can now see what settings the server is using!
- In DM, the Tomed Firemace has traded in the ability to home on people for the ability to bounce off walls.
- Thanks to TehVappy50, Corvus now has the ability to pick up and carry around spheres of various kinds in his inventory. A massive buff on Skulltag maps!
- Chexter's screen now flashes green when slimed or flemmed.
- Duke's Riot Shotgun has been given a cleaned-up spread, more reminiscent of Duke 3D.
- The Dehacked has been implemented back in. It was a nice idea, but practically no wads with Dehacked were behaving properly, and the shell ammo problems it brought back up were terrible.
- samsara_nohealthcap has been implemented as an optional cvar. True to its name, it gives practically no limit to maximum health, which should make survival/DM games more interesting.
- Duke Nukem's Mighty Foot now affects players! Slam the boot into them, they go careening backwards wildly.
- In DM, the Spear of Destiny's bolts do not persist as long and have a higher chance to dissipate quickly after the initial wave.
- In DM, the LAZ Device's zorch radius has been expanded by 64 units.
- In DM, the TOZT has had its damage slightly reduced.
- BJ's Flamethrower sprites were conflicting with the Abaddon's projectiles. Fixed.
- One of the biggest problems Ranger had was that sheer luck determined whether or not he got to use Cells or not. To address this, the Thunderbolt has been coupled with the Quad Damage on slot 7.
- The Laser Cannon has been moved to Ranger's unique slot, and Mjolnir has been introduced as Ranger's slot 1.
- Ranger now has the Pentagram of Protection for his Invulnerability!
- The Thunderbolt has been un-nerfed; it's back at 360dps.
- The Laser Cannon has been buffed, at 24 damage per shot and 240dps.
- The Quad Damage recharge time has been lengthened by 30 seconds. It now takes 90 seconds after one use to be reusable.
- The Unique no longer has +BIGPOWERUP on it. We can hardly remember why it was on in the first place.
- Ranger's Spectral weapons no longer use the old DoE ammo switching style.
- Spectral Laser Cannon no longer flickers.
- Spectral Thunderbolt no longer uses cells.
- Spectral LAZ Device zorches properly.
- Ranger no longer keeps his quadded face when he dies.
- (ZDoom) The SO's lightamp now does BlueMap, as expected. BlueMap still broken in Zandroland.
- The Thunderbolt discharge now actually escapes the sector it's in. Apparently low-radius projectiles don't explode properly.
- sv_degeneration disables Ranger's degeneration, so he isn't hit with both of them.
- Corvus' Tomed Phoenix Rod was getting confused with the Spectral Tomed Phoenix Rod. This was fixed.
- The Quad Damage no longer plays weapons/sigil when powering down.
- The SO's Marathon 2 Alien Weapon can no longer be dropped.
- The Hectebus no longer gets locked in firing.
- Spectre 2 and 4 in Strife are no longer immune to every non-Spectral weapon.
- Duke burning and freezing now causes him to lose his inventory stuff and triggers the 'press any button to respawn' message.
- Duke's ballgag now respects his death quip.
- The SSG zombie's drop now actually exists.
- The TOZT no longer lifts up instantly and gains an ammo from nowhere on lift-up.
- Unique items no longer spawn in LMS and TLMS.
- Duke passing the pipe no longer results in a clack.
- The Barons of Hell, Mancubi, and Arachnotrons no longer forget to trigger A_BossDeath when frozen in Survival mode. What a specific bug!
- The Wings of Wrath have had their gold tint removed, as Hexen made it permanent.
- Freezing the Programmer no longer breaks Strife.
- The Programmer now gives a dummy Sigil on death, which should fix Strife's map progression.
- The SO's/Ranger's automap HUD no longer show inventory and runes.
- The SO's fists were not taking into account the Y axis on determining whether to deliver extra power to the punch. Um. Whoops!
- samsara_permault was apparently relying on sv_weaponstay--meaning if sv_weaponstay was 0, samsara_permault 1 would have no effect. Whoops x2!
- Duke no longer has an undying left foot.
- The Quad Damage was not being removed from the inventory on use in DM or LMS. This has been fixed.
- Chickens were immune to booting and zorching. This has been fixed.
- You no longer regenerate health when dead.
- The base ammo types are now always filled in LMS.
- How did we go for so long without supplying a sprite for the Berserk? Fixed.
- The changelog has been changed from a graphic to a textdump.
- Further separated Samsara character scripts from other non-Samsara chars.
- When using vanilla animations, Doomguy's pistol muzzle flash is no longer wildly to the side.
- Hexen armor is now brown, and red armor is actually red again.
- You can now see what armor type you have when using hud_althud, as you would expect.
- samsara_cl_noadditivepickups has been added, for those whose bloom makes it near impossible to see the things.
- Duke pipebombs and devastators now make two explosion sounds; one local and loud, one global and quiet (with the pipebomb global sound limited).
- The Quad Damage now makes the "no item" sound from Quake 3 if it's used when it's recharging.
- Duke's Freezethrower sprites have been adjusted for better Widescreen compatibility.
- The SO has been given generic color painflashes for easier add-on compatibility.
- BlackFish has provided cleaner rocketlauncher sprites for Quakeguy.
- Weapon pickup messages now take into account msg0color.
- Duke's RPG has been tweaked in widescreen, thanks to Turbo.
- Thanks to BlackFish, the Firestorm now has widescreen sprites!
- Whoops! Turns out the proper message was MIGHTY FOOT ENGAGED, not Mighty Boot. Fixed.
- Skulltag monsters now bleed/gib their proper colors.
- The Security Officer's fists now properly alternate when holding both fire buttons.
- B.J. Blazkowicz now has a Dukegib sequence, thanks to Peter Bark's sprites.
- Due to popular request, the Chicken player now has its own unique HUD.
- The Icon of Sin now has a boss speech.
- For those who don't like the boss speeches, samsara_nomonologues has been implemented as a cvar.
- Sounds have been arranged and sorted into neat little folders.
- Ranger now has a sound for hitting things with the axe, due to popular request.
- Ranger now has a burndeath sequence based off the simplistic burndeaths from Quake mods.
- The TOZT's death frames are now more accurate to Marathon.
- The Marathon weapons now all properly reload on select.
- The WSTEs now show their magazines being used, instead of always being full. While it's a bit off from Marathon, it's still a major improvement.
- The SO's HUD now displays the empty/loaded state of the magazines of the WSTE-M5 Combat Shotguns.
- The SO's HUD now properly splits into two magazines when the WSTE-M5 is loaded, and the single magazine is centered with the Magnum.
- The Quad Damage now has a bunch of lightning shooting out of it with samsara_pickupmode 1.
- The weapon pickup sparkles have had their lifespan shortened and count reduced, to hopefully ease lag issues.
- The powerup timers with Ranger no longer have gaps between them; they move up and down as powerups start and stop.
- Popsoap has provided GLDefs for the enemies of Doom and Heretic.
FROM 0.27 TO 0.28
- The realm of Strife has opened up to the Wheel!
Strife is perhaps the strangest of all the iwads, with the biggest differences in gameplay along with HeXen. Strife focused more on stealth and developing a budding plot, taking part in a rebellion against a tyrannic order hoping to squash all free will. Fight, for the Front and Freedom! Move out!
NOTE: We did not fix Strife co-op. Strife co-op is still completely broken, and therefore is still bound to single player.
NOTE 2: The Spectres and the Entity are no longer invulnerable to everything else, for reasons that will become obvious. Everything but the Sigil only does 1/5th damage, though.
- The Security Officer was suffering pretty badly in PvP, especially in regards to the Fusion Pistol, SPNKR, and Assault Rifle. The Assault Rifle's damage in PvP has been buffed, as has the Fusion Pistol and Spanker. The Fusion Pistol's blasts are also wider to hit people more easily with it, and the SPNKR's explosive radius increased from 160 to 192.
- The primary and secondary fire of the Security Officer's Assault Rifle are now independent of each other!
- Same with the Marathon 2 alien weapon! Actually that was done in 0.27, but we forgot to mention it. Whoops.
- Some of the ACS has been repositioned and readjusted for easier organization.
- The start-up console no longer tells you about samsara_sogravity, but rather samsara_nocustomgravity.
- The BFG and LAZ Device, with sv_bfgfreeaim off, now support Spread.
- Ranger now no longer has Corvus' wimpy death sound in Heretic.
- Ranger's Grenade Launcher's Grenades now properly go up and down lifts.
- Weapon III drops by Riot Shotgunners now properly respect Ranger and give him the Grenade Launcher.
- The Weapon III drops by Riot Shotgunners now have caught up with the conversion to ACS-based weapon giving.
- They are called "Multi Rockets", not "Cluster Rockets". All instances of "Cluster Rockets" have been renamed to "Multi Rockets".
- The Multi-Rocket Launcher's width of fire has been tightened up to match its spread in Dissolution of Eternity.
- Quadded multi-rockets were getting quadded twice over, dealing 16x damage. Uh. Whoops. This has been fixed.
- The Dissolution of Eternity ammo was making things hell to balance, and have been brutally cut in effectiveness. The maximum capacity has been fractioned, multi-rocket impact damage and explosive radius reduced, lava nail is now 150% damage rather than double damage.
- The Thunderbolt's visuals have been slightly tweaked to be less obtrusive on the screen.
- Duke Nukem now has his proper Explosive Shotgun ready sprite, thanks to Warhawk!
- Ranger is now as tall as Doomguy is. Previously he was just a wee bit shorter.
- The GLDefs have been moved to their own folder for easier organization/additions.
- Ranger now has GLDefs! Only two more to go...
- Ranger's Double Shotgun has a slightly wider spread with slightly less damage, to better match Quake.
- samsara_hexenjump has instead been changed to samsara_jumpmod. Turns out HeXen wasn't the only iwad that required different jumping rules--so did Strife! Use 9 for HeXen and -8 for Strife.
- The Prosperity Rune now properly pauses Ranger's degeneration.
- The Death Wyvern no longer vigorously and passionately humps the first Ettin it sees on spawn.
- For ZDoom, Duke Nukem now has his proper weaponbobs. The only thing different is that the bobspeed doesn't depend on Duke's movespeed.
- Tweaked a few obituaries to be colored properly, and rephrased Ranger's Super Lava Nail obituary to be less awkward.
- Korax and Snotfolus are no longer stupidly weak to ripping weapons.
- The Marathon 2 Alien Weapon no longer jerks and stutters while firing.
- The Blue Skull no longer crashes the game at rare opportunities.
- The Quad Damage's function has been tweaked. It loses its Quake 2 inventory hold thing when in DM, functioning more like Quake. In Last Man Standing, it no longer activates on spawn.
- The Flemoid Maximus is now a proper boss in Chex Quest, and now has proper compatibility--splatters and all.
- The DM tipboxes weren't showing before, for some reason. Now they show properly.
- Doomguy/Ranger no longer sound like a dubbed anime boy when puzzfail.
- The Security Officer's SPNKR and Wave Motion Cannon now has different levels of raise and lowering. What does this mean? You no longer have to lower all the way from the top again if you only slightly scrolled through it!
- Corvus' Tome of Power was not buffing the damage of the Ethereal Crossbow or Hellstaff. This has been rectified.
- The Hellstaff was easily one of Corvus' more pathetic weapons, useful only when Tomed--and even then, doing insane amounts of damage on bosses! Its damage has been increased to be more reminiscent of a Plasma Rifle, buffed from 3-24 to 3-35, and bosses now only take 1/5th damage from its Tomed rain, as it was in Heretic.
- There is now an abridged changelog in-game for people who ask "What's new?" with every single release. Type "changelog" in the console to see it, and "changelogoff" to get rid of it.
- Ranger has an option for sine-based recoil instead of parabola-based recoil. If you know what the hell that means, type samsara_cl_sinerecoil 1 to turn it on, and 0 to turn it off.
- Team LMS fullscreen HUD now shows the team scores rather than personal score.
- The SO's Alien Weapons now properrly displaayy ammmmmo in the thethe fulfuulffscfr rr eeee ee e x0eee
- Due to popular demand, the LAZ Device is no longer a direct copy of the BFG9000. It is now its own weapon, taking inspiration from old DEHACKED replications of the BFG--rather than spraying tracers, instead it delivers a lingering explosion over a very large area. Oh and it also shields you if you hold the button down. Neat!
- The Skulltag monsters now have much, much, MUCH better translations! Add onto that, the Hectebus and Dark Imp now have their own attacks back! Thanks to Repo Man for the EXCELLENT coloring jobs!
- B.J.'s Rocket Launcher, Spear of Destiny, SO's TOZT, and Wave Motion Cannon no longer rip bosses, even if they don't have the +DONTRIP flag.
- BlackFish has slaved long and hard underphotoshop, and now the HUDs support widescreen! Everyone give him a hand!
- BlackFish has also provided graphical tweaks for various weapons to make them more widescreen friendly--Timon's Axe, the Hammer of Retribution, and Duke's RPG are now widescreen friendly! Thanks, man!
- The Dissolution of Eternity ammo has been tweaked in how it's used. Alt fire now swaps from ammo type to ammo type, rather than fires it right away. This should be more like Quake, where you had to manually select the weapon, and should give Ranger in DM a little bit of a pause as he goes from weapon to weapon.
- Parias' damage values have been tweaked for DM. Timon's Axe ignores armor, the Serpent Staff's individual bolts have been buffed from 4-20 to 5-25, the Hammer of Retribution was increased from 64 to 98, and the Firestorm's range has been slightly decreased.
- All characters now have "IsSamsaraClass" as an inventory item, and additional ACS checks to see if they're actually a Samsara class. This means Samsara-specific scripts will not target non-Samsara classes, and scripts in add-ons can be made specifically to target non-Samsara classes.
- Parias' Serpent Staff should no longer randomly drain him back to 100 health.
- HeXen's Dark Servant has been switched from a Megasphere to a variant of Strife's Beacon.
- In singleplayer and DM, Corvus' maceballs were flying without any gravity. This has been fixed.
- Included the samsara_banwolfmove cvar--if an admin desires, B.J.'s Retro Movement can now be banned from play.
- Corvus' Tomed Maceballs have the proper Bounce sound.
- Chex Warrior for some reason was continuing to get people stuck on spawn in DM or LMS. On Spawn, he is unsolid for a few seconds, then becomes solid a second or two later.
- Ranger's lava nail and multi rocket count scales in LMS according to how many players are in the game and what samsara_lmslife is.
- The Thunderbolt now does 5 less damage per shot, putting it at 25. Turns out putting it at 30 put the Thunderbolt's DPS 60 higher than it should've been. WELP.
FROM 0.26 TO 0.27
- Ranger has joined the Wheel of Samsara!
Ranger is a character who moves fast, shoots fast, and hits hard from a safe distance. Almost all of his weapons dominate in mid-to-long range, and come out fast as well--accentuating this is his superb maneuverability, allowing him to get into many positions and areas to find a critical area to strike from. While he suffers quite a bit from lack of early game burst damage, once he stocks up with later weapons and ammo he becomes a long-range speedy explosive terror.
In short, if you liked SO's range control or Blazkowicz's accuracy but wish they had more oomph, or if you liked Doomguy's hefty damage but wish he could put it out at a longer range, Ranger will be a character you may find enjoyable.
- sv_bfgfreeaim actually works, now. It no longer gives BFG/LAZ wielders infinite ammo in DM.
- Doomguy's Berserk heals him up to 100. Someone derped and accidentally took it out.
- The Rapid Zorcher in Chex Quest now actually spawns the proper IV and III weapons.
- Duke Nukem shooting Armored Bipedal Flemoids should no longer zorch them.
- Duke Nukem's Shotgun and Ripper no longer uses the DukePistol damage type.
- In Invasion, the Security Officer will no longer be forbidden from picking up dropped shotguns if he picks up his II first.
- Burning Duke Nukem is no longer solid.
- Previously, bots were somehow dual-wielding their starting weapon and the existing weapon they held. They should no longer do that.
- Duke's rockets have their obituary and explosive sound again. That was a weird glitch!
- Offline, B.J. Blazkowicz remembers how to use his feet when going from level to level with Wolfmove on. Online is broke due to an engine bug and cannot be fixed until later. Also a weird glitch!
- One of the oldest and most frustrating bugs has been fixed! Occaisionally people could use Random or swap between char classes and get other classes' weapons. No longer! While Weapon Drop on Death is not advised and will completely mess up the hud, it can be used now if you insist!
- Skulltag mode works now! For the ten people that play this game mode, very sorry it took so long to fix.
- The tipboxes have been enhanced dramatically! Now they work in spectator mode, and can be scrolled through to the different characters' at the player's leisure.
- Wolfenstein Movement has been made a separate item from B.J. entirely. This is for the modders that want to add Wolfenstein Movement to their characters--add CanWolfMovement to your character, and viola!
- Previously, Corvus' skulls only had the eye glow when manually entering god mode via console, and not when invulnerable via item. This has been reversed.
- Since the Firemace used to run off Clip ammo, it gave 50 on pickup. Now that it's converted to Shell, this is way too damned much. Reduced to 10, which is still relatively more but much more reasonable.
- The Tipbox listed Duke's Explosive Shotgun's explosive damage in coop as being 32, while its actual damage was only 30. This has been fixed.
- The F1 tipbox now says what Samsara is. Some folks were asking for it, so here it is.
- The Security Officer's TOZT now makes a sound on pickup, and is removed properly in singleplayer mode.
- The Security Officer's tipbox did not indicate his I went through ghosts. This has been fixed.
- D'Sparil is now actually invulnerable during his intro.
- Morph Ovum now has the Heretic use item sound upon using it.
- A lot of HeXen shit was pretty borked--namely, keys and repeatedly returning to areas. This has been (hopefully) fixed!
- B.J.'s health now turns red instead of white upon reaching low health.
- The script range has been increased from 200-255 to 550-650. There were simply too many conflicts beforehand.
- Duke 3D gibs should now properly show up online!
- Duke no longer runs his mouth every time he picks up a dropped weapon.
- Everyone has their old pickup sounds again!
- Keys are now displayed horizontally instead of vertically, so as to reduce wasted space.
- Obituaries are now colored, depending upon what char is killing the other.
- Note that some cvars won't work in ZDoom, due to a lack of consolecommand
setting them. In these cases, you must set them manually--for example, if you want
to modify jumpheight, you must add "set" in front of it, like so:
set samsara_jumpmod 10
- Pistols have infinite ammo.
- In Last Man Standing, you can adjust the amount of life/armor people start with
by using the sv_lmslife cvar. sasmara_lmslife 0 starts with just 100 life, using
sasmara_lmslife 1 starts with 100 life and 100 armor, sasmara_lmslife 2 starts with
200 life/armor, sasmara_lmslife 3 starts 300 life/armor, sasmara_lmslife 4 starts
with 400, and sasmara_lmslife 5 starts with 500.
- In Last Man Standing, to have characters spawn with Ultimate weapons as well,
use the sasmara_lmsult cvar. sasmara_lmsult 1 enables Ultimates, sasmara_lmsult 0
- In co-op, characters can shoot through each other.
- In co-op, characters picking up keys will share it with everyone--you can see
who got what key in the RCon log.
- Samsara is compatible with sv_shotgunstart, in case players need an extra bit
of oomph at the start. In the same vein, samsara_chainsawstart gives everyone
their slot I on entry, and samsara_uniquestart gives everyone their unique
pickup(s) on entry.
- Offline in Zandronum, Ranger cannot be selected in the char select screen.
This is an engine limitation.
- HeXen's emphasis on platforming requires a higher jumpheight for characters, and
Strife's jumping system was a bit lower. samsara_jumpmod cvar will adjust
everybody's jumpheight so as to accomodate it, use 9 for HeXen and -8 for Strife.
- Please consider disabling Weapon Drop On Death, as with it players will be able
to pick up and use other characters' weapons.
- You can disable Duke's jetpack with sasmara_banjetpack 1. He will recieve 8x
boot damage instead.
- You can tweak whether the Security Officer has Marathon-esque gravity or normal
gravity with sasmara_nocustomgravity 1 (Doom gravity) or 0 (Marathon gravity).
This also affects Ranger, though not as much.
- Weapon VII can be toggled to be persistent or vanish on pickup by sasmara_permault
1 or 0. 0 has it vanish on pickup, 1 has it stay persistent. Note that it acts
as a big powerup, so its respawn timer is much longer than others.
- Heretic's/HeXen's/Strife's palettes are different from Doom's, and thus use
different color ranges, and thus put color splotches in odd places.
- Samsara makes use of Scripts 200-225. Levelsets using these script ranges may,
and almost definitely will, create odd behavior.
- Samsara was designed with Zandronum in mind, particularly making extensive use
of the ConsoleCommand ACS function. In ZDoom, this does not exist--some cvars need
to be manually set and archived in order to be used. For example, if you plan on
using samsara_jumpmod, please add "set" in front of it, like so:
"set samsara_jumpmod 9".
FOR FUN SHIT:
- If players aren't being challenged with UV-Fast, please consider using the new
Skill 4. This removes monster respawn and instead dramatically amplifies monster
aggression, as well as enhances their speed and damage--if you would like to use
the old Skill 4, it can be replicated with the command lines "skill 3",
"sv_monsterrespawn 1", "sv_doubleammo 1", and "sv_fastmonsters 1".
- Want to see just how healthy you can get? samsara_nohealthcap disables the 100/200
health cap on characters, instead going as high as the sky. Enable this if you
want to be a hulking behemoth, or just want to last a little longer!
(NOTE: In this mode, Parias'/Corvus' health items are not carried in the inventory.
For obvious reasons)
- Want to make things just a little bit more interesting? There's a Party Mode! The
samsara_peoplediewhentheyarekilled cvar causes players to explode on death. If it
is a suicide, the explosion happens immediately, if they are killed, then there is
a delay. Increasing the cvar to further levels (maximum 3), increases the radius
- Want to settle things the gentleman's way in DM? samsara_punchdrunk engages the
Gentleman Mode, in which everyone is forced to use only their melee weapons.
samsara_chainsawstart and samsara_uniquestart also work with this mode, and may
provide even more interesting effects.
- You don't care for the gentleman's way, but like their heavy hitters? No
problem! Use samsara_punchdrunkuniques, and your uniques will change from
their normal items to the Punchdrunk items, as if a genie was in the pickups.
(No genies were harmed in the making of Gentleman Mode.)
- Want to change up player defenses? samsara_armormode changes the way armor spawns
in-game. 1 changes it up to Quake style armor, 2 changes it up to armor with more
protection, 3 changes it to Marathon-style armor, 4 has no armor spawn at all.
- Sick and tired of the boss monologues, just want to jump right into action? No
problem! samsara_nomonologues, and your day is free!