- HUD's Original Icons (nchud-icons.pk3): Restores the HUD's original icons for armor and ammo.
- Menu (nchud-menu.pk3): Enables the NC HUD options menu.
- Patch Template (nchud-template.pk3): A template from which compatibility patches could be created.
- Accessories to Murder (nchud-atm.pk3)
- Perk Smooth Weapons Enhanced (nchud-pkanim.pk3) - by Nevander
- Smooth Doom (nchud-smoothdoom.pk3) - by Coincident
- Threshold of Pain: Special Edition & Threshold of Pain 2 (nchud-top.pk3)
- ZDoom Community Map Project 2 (nchud-zdcmp2.pk3)
- These patches are not compatible with the latest version of the HUD. They may only be used with v1.22.
- Brutal Doom v20
- Patch #1 (nchud-bdv20u2.pk3) - by Doctor Nick - June 10th, 2015
- Patch #2 (nchud-bdv20u2-nodualammo.pk3): No separate ammo bars for dual-wielding weapons - by Doctor Nick - June 10th, 2015
- Faspons (nc_custom_hud-Faspons_Patch.pk3) - by faslrn - March 22nd, 2016
- These are modifications of the HUD which are created and maintained by other members of the community for their favorite mods.
- Brutal Doom and Samsara (Link) - by Blackfish
- Brutal Doom SE (Link) - by Cryomundus
- Project Brutality (Link) - by loismustdie555
Important Notes (Last updated on September 19th, 2016)
- The HUD requires a development build of ZDoom which is no older than 4/4/2016 to run. For GZDoom, official version 2.2.0 or newer is required.
- It does not work with Zandronum, currently, as it does not have the necessary features.
- It will only work "out of the box" with projects that do not alter the player's arsenal. Modification of the HUD, or creation of compatibility patches is necessary if you want custom weapons and ammo to work with it.
Additional Patch-related Notes (Last updated on September 19th, 2016)
- Do not request patches. The ones I will be making are only for mods that I am interested in.
- The patches above assume that you are using unmodified versions of the respective mods. Typically, the patches should work with modified versions of the mods as long as the class names of the weapons and their associated ammo types are left untouched.
- The main HUD (nchud-main.pk3) is required for the patches to work. Make sure it is loaded before the patch files, and after any other mods, e.g.,
<mod> nchud-main.pk3 <patch>.
- The icons patch (nchud-icons.pk3) is meant to be used with the main HUD alone if one so desires. Do not mix it with the other patches.
- If you want to submit a patch, then feel free to do so, and I shall add it above to the list of patches. Do note, however, that I will not maintain those patches submitted by others. It is the submitter's job to keep their patches up to date and working.
"May I use your HUD in my mod, Blue Shadow?"
- I seem to be getting asked this often recently. The answer to that question is: Yes, you may.
What's new/changed in this version:
- Added support for Heretic and Hexen.
- Switched the HUD from a "normal" to a "fullscreen" status bar (this is to work around the HUD sprites of weapons in Heretic and Hexen being "off-position").
- Replaced the window borders.
- Added the option to display enemy health bar.
- Inventory bar:
- Scaled it up to double size.
- It is now displayed at the center of the screen.
- Reduced the number of items it can display at once to 4 (this is due to the increased size).
- Replaced the HUDFONT2_DOOM font with a complete version, named DBFPLAIN. The characters of this font have a "texture" similar to the small font.
- Tweaked the colors.
- Instead of two color sets, one for the big font and one for the normal, there is only one, used by both.
- Did some editing to the bars and their frames.
- As the background, bars now use the same one, regardless of color.
- When invulnerable, the health bar and its counter are drawn in a different color.
- Renamed the nchud_oldbarsystem CVAR to nchud_oldbarmode.
- Health, armor and ammo bars now have one low state each. For health and clip ammo, it is red, while for the others it is yellow.
- Added a few options to control the low states of health, armor and ammo.
- Ammo low state value can be set for each weapon (via ACS/patches).
- Air supply:
- The label now reads "Air" instead of "AS".
- When underwater, the bar remains dimmed while wearing a radiation-shielding suit or being invulnerable.
- Added a low state.
- Added a patch with which the HUD's menu can be enabled.
- Added a "template" patch that can be used as a base to create patches.
- Merged Threshold of Pain 1 and 2's patches into one patch.
- Redid the health, berserk and keys icons.
- Updated the readme.txt and patch_guide.txt files.
- Fixed miscellaneous bugs.
- Significant under-the-hood reorganization of files and code.
- Added two CVARs: One can be used to switch to the old bar system, and the other to set an arbitrary max value for the over-max blue bar (only applies when the old bar system is enabled).
- Added a complete small font.
- Updated Doom RPG patch to keep up with the recent changes introduced to Doom RPG. The updated patch necessitated changes to be made to the main HUD. Hence, the version bump.
- Replaced the console (small) font with a bigger one.
- Increased the size of the inventory bar. It can now show 8 items at once.
- Tweaked the selected inventory item's position in relation to the inventory box so it is drawn centered.
- Utilized DrawImage's new scaling feature to scale the ammo icons - goodbye to manual scaling!
- When displaying the armor icon, the armor's actual sprite is used.
- Increased the alpha of dimmed elements from 0.35 to 0.5.
- Reorganized things in the ACS library and removed redundant code.
- Separated the ACS library into two files; one that contains common code and one that only contains the things which differ across the patches.
- The HUD's own custom armor and ammo icons are now in a separate patch.
- Health and armor bars are adjusted dynamically to player's health and the type of armor he/she is wearing.
- Map's stats are marked when they are achieved. For map time, it is displayed in blue if you are under the map's par time. Once it goes above that, it will turn to white/gray, denoting that you failed to beat the par time.
- Added a patch-creating guide.
- Pushed the HUD elements five pixels towards the edges of the screen (see the third point just below).
- The keys display has been relocated to the far right, and is now part of the ammo/arms display.
- The bars and their displays in general are slightly shorter than before; this was a consequence of an attempt to make more room for something to be added at the bottom-center in place of the old keys display's location. The idea of adding the thing was scrapped later, and I decided to leave the displays in their new length.
- The ammo/arms display has a more spacious background now. It is a mirrored version of the health/armor display's background, with some changes.
- As a result of the new background for the ammo/arms display, the dual-ammo display now uses the same bar graphics used by the health and armor.
- A weapon that uses two ammo types can have an ammo icon drawn for each ammo type/bar, primary and secondary.
- When adding weapons to the weapons array, a "NoSlot" keyword can be used instead of an actual slot number to designate a slot-less weapon; this was added in for the rare cases where a weapon can be used "legitimately" and at the same time has no slot assigned to it -- ZDCMP2's Grenade weapon demonstrates this case.
- Added a level time display, which is part of the level stats display.
- The level stats display uses the same background used by the all-ammo display, only mirrored (consistency).
- Added an infinite ammo indicator; if the player has an InfiniteAmmo powerup or the infinite ammo cheat enabled, the ammo bars will be drawn full and in a unique color. Their counters will be replaced by an infinity symbol with the same color scheme.
- If the player has no armor, the health display will be drawn alone at the middle of the background, now.
- The left-hand side display is no longer drawn with translucency and in grayscale when the player is dead.
- Tweaked the blue console font color a little (it is a bit brighter now).
- Tweaked the blue font color used for the health and armor counters when over hundred (take 2).
- Added a patch for ZDoom Community Map Project 2.
- Miscellaneous changes here and there.
- Tweaked the color of the blue bar slightly.
- Tweaked the blue font color used for the health and armor counters when over hundred.
- The air supply display is now drawn dimmed when the player is not currently underwater.
- Replaced the HUD's name and version number with a bar display of the player's air supply. Not useful for vanilla maps, but it is still more useful than what it is currently replacing.
- Removed the HUD's menu options; this is to avoid potential conflict with ZDoom itself and other mods. (See the readme.txt file for information on how to change the options now)
- Implemented some code so that weapons using AmmoType1 as reserve ammo and AmmoType2 as "clip" ammo are shown correctly in the dual-ammo display.
- Updated Accessories to Murder's patch's base code to v1.14.
- Added a patch for Brutal Doom.
- The reserve ammo type(s) associated with the currently equipped weapon is shown "highlighted", while the rest of the types are dimmed (this was meant to be part of v1.12, but I ran into a little block when trying to implement it then).
- Weapons slots are specified through ACS, now, which means no SBARINFO-work is needed in that regard.
- Extended the all-ammo and current ammo displays so their counters can go up to 4 digits in size.
- Reworked the dual-ammo display a little.
- Made custom colors for use with HUDFONT2_DOOM and NC_SMALLFONT fonts.
- Gave the HUD version display some translucency.
- Set the HUD version to be retrieved from the LANGUAGE lump.
- Removed some redundant graphics and color definitions.
- The HUD's version number is displayed in place of the player's name.
- Added a background for the individual keys in the key bar.
- The HUD's version is part of the HUD now. It is displayed centered at the top of the screen.
- Replaced the old method of defining custom console variables with the new, CVARINFO one. With this, the end-user does not need to do anything regarding the CVARs and their "initialization", anymore. The engine will take care of that now.
- The test pistol is no longer selectable through normal means if you happen to have it. (See the decorate.txt file for more info)
- Keys are now displayed centered at the bottom of the screen, and in their old place the player's name is displayed.
- Moved the inventory bar up a little.
- Added custom inventory bar arrows graphics.
- Added a section in the readme.txt file about HUD scaling.
- All-ammo display counters do not change color anymore, and thus modders do not need to do much work when adding new ammo types to work with the HUD.
- Changed the way the "selected weapon's ammo" display works, resulting in a less hassle when incorporating new weapons and their ammunition.
- Changed the graphic of the inventory selector.
- When the health bar is yellow, the bar frame glows yellow, as well.
- All-ammo display backgrounds are now of the same style as the tally backgrounds.
- Added a readme.txt file explaining how to make new weapons work with the HUD, and also explaining the HUD menu (make sure to read the file).
- The HUD version is logged in the console.
Version 1.6 (file was lost):
- Back-ported most of the changes that went into the Doom Expanded's version of the HUD.
- Added support for dual-ammo-using weapons.
- Added a bar overlay for health and armor bars when going above hundred.
- Level stats and reserve ammo displays are now toggleable from a newly added "NC HUD" options menu (See below for more info).
- All-ammo-types display is now being drawn at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Merged the current ammo and arms displays together.
- Armor bar frame no longer continues to glow/flash when player's armor is 0. Instead, the whole display is drawn with some translucency.
- Keys icons are drawn with alpha translucency.
- The HUD is toggle-free now.
- Added: An all-ammo-type display, however, to be actually displayed, a keybind has to be pressed and held ("A" by default) (experimental).
- Added: A "low ammo" indicator (current ammo display only) just like the armor one.
- Added: Ammo icons for the different ammo types.
- The arms display has been 'merged' with all-ammo-type display.
- Initial release.