ArmedRecruit

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: ARMEDrecruit

Post by Matt »

Why on earth do you want to make it easier for someone the more successful they are in a game? Better idea I think is to get a tome if you die x number of times in a row without killing anyone.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Vaecrius wrote:Why on earth do you want to make it easier for someone the more successful they are in a game?
It works in other shooters.
Vaecrius wrote:Better idea I think is to get a tome if you die x number of times in a row without killing anyone.
Then you'd just keep suiciding until you get it.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Honestly, I think both killstreaks AND deathstreaks aren't too kosher, but I'm a bit biased on the subject so if you think it won't screw the balance, it's probably okay. Maybe make a test version and play a few private games with a handful of testers to see how it works out?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

See, in deathmatch, if you're going to try for a death streak unless there's a ToP thing you can do under some circumstances that can get you lots and lots of kills in a row that's really hard to balance, the required death streak can easily be set to a big enough number to make it hard to make up for all the points actually lost by suicide and/or the time wasted trying to not kill people while getting killed yourself.

Meanwhile, in CTF or co-op it wouldn't make any real difference unless a bunch of people coordinated their deaths for a sudden mass ToP rush... which, given you need to get killed an exact number of times for this to work (if you die with the ToP you'd start the countdown all over again) would be I think a far more impressive challenge than just scoring a kill streak.

In any event it makes for a vastly more interesting game than "the guy who owns everyone gets to own everyone even more".

EDIT: Unless we're talking about competitive like who can kill more monsters or something, then yeah I see the problem.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

I decided not go with killstreaks. The Tome of Power was never intended for use in PvP.

Also, I'm considering changing some of the reload times to make the gameplay faster. Making reloading faster for some weapons, especially the Shotgun.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

DTDsphere wrote:I decided not go with killstreaks. The Tome of Power was never intended for use in PvP.

Also, I'm considering changing some of the reload times to make the gameplay faster. Making reloading faster for some weapons, especially the Shotgun.
Yeah, this I'm on board with. I don't like playing the shotgunner because of how long it can take to reload the shotgun. Usually it's not a problem if you're topping it off as often as possible, but sometimes you gotta blow all eight shells during a fight and now you're reloading forever. Meanwhile the machine gunner, aka Mr. Stunlock, is doling out the harshness with endless streams of bullets only pausing for a quick reload.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

ZDoom https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc9zs2aalw4j0 ... review.pk3
Zandronum https://www.dropbox.com/s/c51rdr7tfllh8 ... review.pk3

Changes to last preview:
-Nightmare monsters can now run though monsters and projectiles.
-Tweaked pistol code, it now plays the weapon raise and lower sound properly.
-Rebalanced weapon reload times.
-Replaced a few sounds.

I think this is pretty close to being complete, I'll just sit on it for a while to make sure everything is fine.

Found a problem, throwing knives go though nightmare enemies. I wonder how to fix this.
Swift_

Post by Swift_ »

Just to show you guys a bit of a sneak peek on the progress of the voxels,

I'd also like to ask for feedback (Especially on the rifle clips!). What do you guys think? :)
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Looking great Swift_!

Anyway, I'm going to make it so that nightmare monsters are solid again. This is because I like it when they infight with other monsters.

Also the HUD bugs out at some screen resolutions for some reason. No idea why it happens. Some widescreen settings, it works. Others, it doesn't.

Normal:
Spoiler:

Wat:
Spoiler:

I can prob work it out but is there a way to hide your inventory? Just the bit that shows you what you have selected.

Fixed.
Spoiler:
-Fixed HUD being odd at some resolutions.
-Tweaked HUD to show you ammo for your special weapon at all times to stop you forgetting you have it.

Updated dropbox links, redownload for the changes.

This will be the final version, just waiting on Swift_ to finish the voxel items now.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Just made a new video since the old videos were dated. You can see it on the OP or here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3oJMwvqkWI

So far, just the Machine gun class has an up to date video.
For the Shotgun class I want to take a map request from anyone browsing this thread, just make sure it's a slaughterfest.
But for the Rifle class, I want to try Map03 Sunder.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

>just make sure it's a slaughterfest.
You have Deus Vult II and Sunder, right?
Map 23 of that, Hell's Vendetta, OR Anything past Map 6 in Sunder.

EDIT: You said you increased Romero's Health to 750 to compensate for the height adjustment. This carries one small problem: No one except rifle man (since he gets the specialty) actually has weapons that can finish the 750 hp at long range (shotgun is short ranged, machine gun is short ranged, pistols do too little damage to kill him before the arena floods with monsters.)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

oh wow, now this is what i wanted for, classic gameplays and weapon with reloads! gotta love you when you're finished the gzdoom mounted version! :D

also, needa help about sound replacing and adding? because few sounds are not clean and mild also missing, chaingun spinning, ammo picking casing bounce for a example.

i'm not imposing it, this is your choice.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Captain J wrote:also, needa help about sound replacing and adding? because few sounds are not clean and mild also missing, chaingun spinning, ammo picking casing bounce for a example.
I suppose I could add some sounds. I'm sure I could just rip these sounds from other mods.
Untitled wrote:>just make sure it's a slaughterfest.
You have Deus Vult II and Sunder, right?
Map 23 of that, Hell's Vendetta, OR Anything past Map 6 in Sunder.
Alright, I'll try it.

EDIT:
Currently, rockets spawn as stimpacks. I'm going to make it so that rockets have a 50% chance as spawning as a pile of grenades as well as a stimpack.
I am sure it is possible to beat Map23 with my mod. Just as long as I survive the room with the blue key, I can use the tome of power from the arch vile to use against the red key room.
Untitled wrote:EDIT: You said you increased Romero's Health to 750 to compensate for the height adjustment. This carries one small problem: No one except rifle man (since he gets the specialty) actually has weapons that can finish the 750 hp at long range (shotgun is short ranged, machine gun is short ranged, pistols do too little damage to kill him before the arena floods with monsters.)
Could you give me an example of a map that does this?
Last edited by DTDsphere on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

DTDsphere wrote:I suppose I could add some sounds. I'm sure I could just rip these sounds from other mods.
and i already did for finding a good sounds for replacing your old and mild sounds;
for ARMED.zip
(74.44 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
also don't take it so much, this is an optinal choice. otherwise, good luck with picking new and better sounds for your wad.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Captain J wrote:
DTDsphere wrote:I suppose I could add some sounds. I'm sure I could just rip these sounds from other mods.
and i already did for finding a good sounds for replacing your old and mild sounds;
for ARMED.zip
also don't take it so much, this is an optinal choice. otherwise, good luck with picking new and better sounds for your wad.
I'm not looking to replace sounds, but thank you for your offer. I'm looking to add sounds for bullet casings and the minigun start up and start down sounds.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”