Maps of Chaos - Overkill RC1 out!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
darkhaven3

Re: Brutalized Doom & Doom 2

Post by darkhaven3 »

That wasn't my point. Just because you can edit IWAD maps...
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

darkhaven3 wrote:That wasn't my point. Just because you can edit IWAD maps...
I think nobody here is understanding your point. Can you explain what is wrong with it?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

darkhaven3 wrote:That wasn't my point. Just because you can edit IWAD maps...
Well, if it's just the principle of the thing, that you don't like playing edits of IWAD maps, then really, saying it once is probably enough for us to get it. But if it's about them being illegal, I checked with him earlier, and given the standpoints id software has taken in the past about this sort of thing, edited IWAD maps are quite legal, as long as they only work on the IWAD from which they are derived.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

I also have a bunch of original maps here as well.
DominicWhite

Post by DominicWhite »

I dig this WAD. It's good fun for co-op, and the increased enemy counts and Brutal Doom's increased kill-speeds balance out nicely, I think.
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

Even more work has been done on maps 4 through 7 now, but I won't post an update until I get the first Doom2 episode done.
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

"Hellspawn" edition update, MAP01 through MAP11 have a significant difficulty spike, inspired by Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta megawads.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I just wanted to say that some of the little "surprises" in the revised maps are just plain evil. X____x
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice placement of secrets. The ones in the first few levels of your Doom 2 maps are spot on for dealing with the increased crowds of monsters.
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

Yea, they are and even after the previous revision (upped to hardcore initially) it can be fairly easy unless you use the Brutal Doom mod, then it gets harder especially if you are not expecting the extra critters.
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

Up to MAP18 done, will post again when MAP20 is done.
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

"Fire City" update now available. Covers MAP12 through MAP20 now. Check first post!

If you come across any flaws, be it unfairly high difficulty spikes or other things, don't hesitate to let me know!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Playing through the hardcore Doom 2 now (UV). Just noticed that the Hellknight in that little 3 way hallway near the supershotgun secret gets stuck in the doorway cause of the sharp angle in the hallway. It makes him and the chaingunners in there an easy kill cause the hellknight soaks up all the shots, kills the chaingunners, then falls without being able to hit you as you shoot him. :P
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

I've alleviated the hell knight issue by making more room near the door and putting him in the center of the 3 chaingunners. The next update will be codenamed "Hell on Earth" to match the hecticness of what's to come. :P

But I still would have to do Doom again if I wanted but what would suck is the lesser variety of monsters to choose from, which would mean lots of imps, demons and cacodemons if I wanted to make some areas demon centric.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Monster in-fighting seems really heavy as well, but I guess there's not much you can do about that without changing the level design a lot. Like on the Gauntlet with the blue key there's so many chaingunners that they kind of wipe out the room, lol. I don't mind it much though, all the chaos is fun.

EDIT: I found it a little difficult to get by the cyberdemon on Map06, since if you stay on the lift going down you'll get gibbed pretty easily. Eventually got it by running left and using the teleport to warp onto his platform, then a quick dash to the switch for the crusher. It doesn't seem like you've messed much with level secrets after the first couple maps as well, or is it just me? It feels like a little more could be stashed in them to offset the hardcore monster swarms.

Return to “Levels”