Maps of Chaos - Overkill RC1 out!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Brutalized Doom & Doom 2 - Overkill RC1 out!

Post by Armaetus »

You need to keep moving to survive that ordeal, I've gone mid to low health before but never died, maybe because my zombiemen never use that stupid 3 round shot (disabled, made them too damaging).

Recently, I did a tweak to E3M4 regarding the switch room but I'm not sure what to do about E3M6 with the open areas.
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

Just a heads up that this is not dead, it is just very slow.
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Awesome job on these maps Mr. Chris!
I've been playing these on brutal doom + black metal difficulty + pistol start, and it's been the most challenging (yet still balanced) experience I've had lately.
They keep the nostalgia / deja-vu feel of the original maps, with many more monsters and unexpected traps to keep you on your toes, and even some new areas to explore!

I've downloaded RC1.2 from moddb (http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... nd-doom-ii); I think that's the last version.
I would love to see a brutalized E3M9 (using brutalized E3M1), and the entire E4 in the future.

Are you still working on these maps?
I've found an interesting pattern: most maps have an area (usually the last key) where you get a HUGE incoming horde of monsters teleporting all around you.
I don't know if it's possible, but did you think of adding a sound to that area? Something like the sound from entering MAP30; the signature sound of the brutalized horde, to scare the player even more! :)
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

I've been in a demotivational state for some time when it comes to editing more of the Overkill maps, it is not dead but almost a stand still in terms of progress. Also, other games (Firefall, Payday 2, Warframe, etc) have been eating up my time on top of waiting for Brutal Doom v20 so I can finish working on Random Deaths & Decoration version 1.2 (1.11 is out tho).
BannedUser

Post by BannedUser »

Hey, Chris Dragon-senpai!

This is a legit submod for Brutal Doom, but as all video games out there, I noticed a bunch of flaws which I find either irritating and/or ridiculous:
Spoiler:

Based on those things stated, I'm sorry but I have to give it 3.5 out of 10. Try harder next time. :ugeek:

I'm not trolling with you, I don't bash, harrass, or spread hatred either, so to those who will overreact to my reply, grow up. :roll:
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

While I am sure your criticism is duly noted, your tone might be a little on the harsh side.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Some people like a challenge, even if it is an impossible one.

Also, I am pretty sure demons did that instant spawn stuff in Thy Flesh Consumed, so it's not that unusual.

After a while the Baron's of hell in Doom 1 are just small fry compared to the Cyber demon. Look at Thy Flesh Consumed map 2. There is a Cyber demon on that map. I could never beat that level on Ultra Violence.

Maybe I should stop comparing this to the Thy Flesh Consumed episode. :|
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I like the more complex maps, they're not really that hard to figure out. There are a couple secrets I'm not sure how to trigger, but most are fairly simple. The only thing that I think is a little overused is monsters teleporting in, since they tend to warp in in all around you, which can get tricky if you're playing with a harder mod. But then you can't have every wall a hidden monster closet either, so I guess that's the compromise. :P
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

@Point 1 & 3: Which ones? I can go and double check those.

@Point 2: With added carnage means you will have to slow down your progression so you don't get your ass killed.

@Point 4: It's not called Overkill for nothing! :p

@Point 5: That's the instant floor rise linedef trick.

@Point 6: The sheer number of monsters is why the BFG is placed.

@Point 7: I guess they're there to force you to kill or avoid him as it is the exit area.

@Point 8: This is a problem with Brutal Doom only, blame all the bullshit scripts being constantly being called for the headshot/limbshot scripts.

@Point 9: There's only so much I can pack into the original architecture.

@Point 10: It's to make the end episode harder.

@Point 11: I appreciate your feedback despite it being blunt. :)

@Point 12: Again, it is called Overkill for a reason, if you played that and not the Hardcore version.

@Point 13: There is a switch in the room before the circular stone nukage pit, which opens up the new region which eventually leads to lowering the panels blocking the area to the key. It requires some nukage traversing but plenty of radsuits are available. On top of that, I provided a teleport in the room you hit the switch so you have no need to go over the damaging floors again.

@Point 14: What maps and where? If one knows the original layouts, they won't have too much trouble figuring out with the extensions.

@Point 15: I'm terrible at walkthroughs textwise, but the best I could do is do video walkthroughs on my Youtube channel. :)

@Point 16: I originally was going to do Final Doom but I abandoned the idea after 3 maps into Evilution. The demo of it is on the first post of this thread.
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Your maps are awesome and you should feel awesome, regardless of some people's unconstructive criticism.
What's the point of downloading a brutalized (= harder) version of the doom maps, just to spoil the challenge with iddqd or idclip? (and walkthroughs? seriously?!)

Anyway the only real (but minor) glitch are the many many secrets (some impossible to reach), which would be worth looking into.
Regarding the sheer difficulty of the maps - it is welcome; and exactly what people expect.
It would also be great to have a brutalized E3M9, and E4; and yeah after that Final Doom why not :)

PS - About point 8: Brutal Doom shows a _very_ slow framerate especially around lots of mancubuses (and lots of flames).
Brutal Doom SE has an addon called "simple mancubus flames" which greatly reduces the problem.
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

If there wasn't constant limb/headshot scripts being called per monster, the framerate issue probably will not be that much of a problem.
Armaetus

Re: Maps of Chaos - Overkill RC1 out!

Post by Armaetus »

Renamed in honor of ditching support of Brutal Doom.

Also, there's been a few minor updates to the Overkill version since.
Frostiken

Post by Frostiken »

What exactly changed for 'dropping support of Brutal Doom'?

Do you have a list of where your progress is right now, or rather, what maps still need to be done? This pack of levels might honestly be one of the best additions to Doom.

Last I played (quite some time ago) Doom 1 was almost entirely done except, I think, Thy Flesh Consumed and maybe a couple levels in E3. Doom 2 had only a few levels done.

Thanks!
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

I made a thread regarding this.

Overkill variant has up to MAP19 done and I think up to E3M3 on original Doom.
BerzerkeRick

Post by BerzerkeRick »

I downloaded this and tried it out had fun until E1M2 Nuclear plant. I got through the whole level but the exit door doesn't open it's just a big door with UAC on it. I shot about 20 rockets at it with no luck. Help?

Return to “Levels”