Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Arch

Re: [WIP] Pirate Doom!

Post by Arch »

Gameplay video! One thing this guy didn´t notice is that you can use the sword as second fire while using the pistol, I´ll put some advice in the next relelase. The third map is 80% :D

ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

You might want to put +NOEXTREMEDEATH on the sword's puff. It's a little bit too silly for monsters to explode because of a cut. :P
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

ChronoSeth wrote:You might want to put +NOEXTREMEDEATH on the sword's puff. It's a little bit too silly for monsters to explode because of a cut. :P
Yeah, this isn't Ninja Doom. :P
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Remember to use smoke on firearms, old stuff uses smoke and gunpowder.
Wanderers could be a nice addition. They could flee from the player in terror (pirate raid reference).
Don't forget the rum (possible item in inventory), pirates usually loot stuff. I don't know about gold though (currency?).
I think a sailing ship would be a nice addition.
It surprises me that pirates practice democracy as well.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Ethril wrote:Yeah, this isn't Ninja Doom. :P
See, I can't tell if you're agreeing with or mocking me. :lol:
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

ChronoSeth wrote:
Ethril wrote:Yeah, this isn't Ninja Doom. :P
See, I can't tell if you're agreeing with or mocking me. :lol:
I was.
Spoiler: EXPLAINING THE JOKE
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

Haha, this project is amazing. :D
The second map feels totally like Meele Island (or is it supposed to be that?). Very impressive athmosphere.
However, the first map could be a little darkened on the outside. It kind of looks too bright without enough shading, but I am getting nit-picky here.
Also, its great to see that someone else could make good use of my awesome Rayman textures. Ripping and cutting them back together them was pretty time-consuming (some were made out of several different textures to be useful at all - like the sky for example). :wink:
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Can this wad be for Zdoom? I notice some wall glitches in Zdoom v2.5.0.
The sign for Miguel's gun store is a bit too pop out.

There could be a use for candles and lanterns for map02, Melee Island. I don't know how to do this in Zdoom.
Swordfights could add more gaming element. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16219
Pirate sounds for monsters might be beneficial.
You can use these songs.
http://www.privateerdragons.com/music/pirate.mid
http://www.privateerdragons.com/music/potc.wma
Arch

Post by Arch »

Nice ideias R007, and thanks for the music. I specially liked the smoking guns idea, I´ll see if I can do this. Also, this is GZDoom only, because of dinamic lights and 3d floors. Maybe that´s why you wanted more lights at Melee Island map? :)
MSPaintR0cks wrote:Haha, this project is amazing. :D
The second map feels totally like Meele Island (or is it supposed to be that?). Very impressive athmosphere.
However, the first map could be a little darkened on the outside. It kind of looks too bright without enough shading, but I am getting nit-picky here.
Also, its great to see that someone else could make good use of my awesome Rayman textures. Ripping and cutting them back together them was pretty time-consuming (some were made out of several different textures to be useful at all - like the sky for example). :wink:
Glad to see you here! Your textures are awesome! This project was only a joke with monster sprites until I saw Rayman Doom and realised there could be pirate maps in that cartoonish style. By the names of the textures it seems you didn´t use them all in Rayman Doom, is there more? Could.. you.. maybe.. send them to me? :lol: Is there a blue sky?

About the maps, the 2nd is actually called Melee island :wink: . I don´t know if you are working on a project right now, but if you wanna do a quick map for this you are very welcome. I don´t know where else to shadow the first map, but I´ll see.

Also, maties, the third map (Treasure Cove) is done, I´m only chosing the music and testing gameplay, but I think I´ll wait until I find good rum, wine and maybe beer sprites because I see you guys are missing the alcohol in this mod. I must agree with you.

If someone want to betatest this map, let me know! I need a crew! :mrgreen:
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Arch wrote:I think I´ll wait until I find good rum, wine and maybe beer sprites
Seeing as this is a GZDoom project, have you considered using models for some stuff? Or are sprites a design choice?
Gez

Post by Gez »

I think one thing this really needs for ambiance is different sounds for door/platform/etc. movement.

Also, replacing monster sight sounds with a selection of "yarrr!".
Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

Here are some Pirate sounds ripped from Medievil 1 & 2. :wink:
Attachments
Sounds.zip
Pirate Sounds
(92.24 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Ethril wrote:
ChronoSeth wrote:You might want to put +NOEXTREMEDEATH on the sword's puff. It's a little bit too silly for monsters to explode because of a cut. :P
Yeah, this isn't Ninja Doom. :P
Sacred 2 has a lot of pirate voices.
npc_humanpirate_male_bother02.7z
Arch

Post by Arch »

thanks a lot, these sounds were very useful! I had sigh sounds but not many death and pain sounds, those just filled the gap :mrgreen:
LilWhiteMouse wrote:
Seeing as this is a GZDoom project, have you considered using models for some stuff? Or are sprites a design choice?
Yes, I think cartoonish sprites fits more with this project, and I don´t know how to use models also :lol:

I need some more piratish english help :oops: , I want to replace the skill levels with stuff like:

I´m too young to die - "I´m a sissy maggot"
Bring ´em on - "Avast, scurvy dogs!"

Does it sound right? Any suggestions for the other skills?
Blox

Post by Blox »

Hmm.. :roll:

Edit: How's this? Image
EditEdit: Delicious, god awfully old wine: Image

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”