Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sean_muscles

Re: [WIP] Pirate Doom!

Post by sean_muscles »

I love this thing and i'd love to help in some way with the translating or whatever writings involved.
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

This is the best thing since slice bread!! I am a huge Secret of Monkey Island nut and as Torm said this is the most perfect mix with Doom that I could ever hope to see!
If you're looking for dialogue, the script is full of absolute comedy gold:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/562681-the-s ... faqs/23891

I was thinking maybe you can have "friendly" characters that you can recreate some of the classic scenes from MI with the dialogue..
If you can incorporate some of this into the project this would be the best mod of all time!

The possibilities are endless... a hub system for travelling back and forth across Melee Island.... I'm gonna shut up now, this is too great to think about!

Anyway, awesome work!
NickPerrin

Post by NickPerrin »

I might actually be interested in whipping up a quick/small piece of music for a menu theme here. I am fairly busy so don't expect a whole soundtrack, but a 30sec to 1min menu theme in a real pirate-y style is totally doable!

You can check out my music & demo reel here.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

And for the menu PIC, there was a pic with the Cyberdemon pirate petting a baby cacodemon! Seaguls and the sea in the backround, etc... LOL!!!!
Arch

Post by Arch »

[/quote]
Clebardman wrote:-an octopus (just need red tentacles, and maybe a beak instead of the mouth. I may try to do something like this since i already have a caco-with-beak frame.)
Sounds nice, could you show this caco-with-beak frame?
NickPerrin wrote:I might actually be interested in whipping up a quick/small piece of music for a menu theme here. I am fairly busy so don't expect a whole soundtrack, but a 30sec to 1min menu theme in a real pirate-y style is totally doable!.
That would be very nice, could you do this in midi? I´m using only midi songs to keep the filesize low. Also, congratulations on your work :D
sean_muscles wrote:I love this thing and i'd love to help in some way with the translating or whatever writings involved.
Thanks! There are two sentences I´m not sure about them, please see if they are correct or piratish:

"RATS! MY KEY HAS BEEN STOLEN!" - I don´t know if this "rats!" expression is right, is there something similar or more piratish?

"I'M NOT RUNNIN' AWAY LIKE A MANGY COCKROACH!!" - I took this from a pirate dictinary :lol: , does it sound alright?

And Glenzinho thanks for the script, I am also replaying MI and taking some notes :wink:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'd change "rats" to "bilge rats" and "my" to "me" (seems like bad grammar but it is idiom appropriate). I might also change "I'm not runnin' away like a mangy cockroach" to "I'm not crawlin' away like a mangy maggot" simply because ship's biscuits are well known to commonly have had weevil larvae (maggots) in them and it's better alliteration too. :biggrin:
Arch

Post by Arch »

Done! Thanks!!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't know if it has been suggested already or not but having the enemies shout suitable piratical phrases such as "aaarr" and "shiver me timbers" might work out well if you can get/make good sounding samples.

Also, just for a slight visual improvement, I'd make the imp's hat a separate actor that spawns in the imp's death state once it gets knocked off his head so that the imp and the hat don't always fall in exactly the same way relative to each other.
Arch

Post by Arch »

That´s a very good idea! I´ll try to make the hat fly up like in old western movies.

For the sounds, I already have some of them :) . I´ll test it soon to see if it works.
NickPerrin

Post by NickPerrin »

Arch wrote:That would be very nice, could you do this in midi? I´m using only midi songs to keep the filesize low. Also, congratulations on your work :D
Yup, for sure! In fact, MIDI takes less time than fully sequenced music, so that works out well for both of us. I'll let you know in this thread when I have something together.
Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy »

Yar har fiddle-dee-dee...
Arch

Post by Arch »

Enjay wrote:I don't know if it has been suggested already or not but having the enemies shout suitable piratical phrases such as "aaarr" and "shiver me timbers" might work out well if you can get/make good sounding samples.
I´m trying to replace the sounds but I´m having a problem with random sounds.
This is what I did in SNDINFO:

$random grunt/sight { grunt/sight1 grunt/sight2 grunt/sight3 grunt/sight4 grunt/sight5 grunt/sight6 }
grunt/sight4 dsposit4
grunt/sight5 dsposit5
grunt/sight6 dsposit6

$random grunt/act { grunt/act1 grunt/act2 grunt/act3 }
grunt/act2 dsposit6
grunt/act3 dsposit3

The sight sounds simply don´t execute, and the act sounds plays always grunt/act1. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

EDIT: oh sorry it all worked fine now. Sounds funny :mrgreen:
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Sonnyboy wrote:Yar har fiddle-dee-dee...
Being a pirate is alright with me! :joker:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

A reference to a conspicuous absence of rum wouldn't go amiss, even if it is just in the health-potion-that-better-be-a-bottle-of-rum pickup message.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Being a pirate is alright with me! :joker:
DO WHAT YOU WANT 'CAUSE A PIRATE IS FR- *brick*

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”