ZDL 3.2.2.2 Released (UPDATED August 8th 2012)

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
QBasicer

Re: qZDL 3.0.5.7 Beta Released (UPDATED April 27th)

Post by QBasicer »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Enjay wrote:However, I was looking for an option to switch off the path name being displayed in the "External Files" box.
I mentioned the possibility of sticking it into a new column (same for ports/IWads in the Settings tab). If that were done I imagine it'd be somewhat simple to switch that column on and off.
It's not really that easy. Well, potentially, but switching to a column view actually requires a lot of Qt Plumbing. In terms of work vs payoff, simply not including that file tag will work for now, but long term potentially switching to a column view is an option.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

QBasicer wrote:If you tell me how, I can create a jenkins build and run it on either a Hardy (8.04?) or Precise (12.04) machines and make drops to an FTP server somewhere (or to my own site).
Binaries built against 8.04 should work fine in 12.04. (The APIs change slightly so it doesn't always work the other way around. That said I do all of the drdteam packages against 10.04.) I make deb packages with the following command:

Code: Select all

dpkg-deb -z9 -Zlzma -b <package_directory> <package.deb>
I'm not sure if 8.04 supports lzma compression on packages or not, but if not then you can probably just change that to bzip2.

The package_directory needs to have a DEBIAN directory with a text file named control in it. Otherwise you simply place files in it as you would like them to appear on the destination machine relative to root. So you might create package_directory/usr/bin and put the binary there.

The control file would look something like this:

Code: Select all

Package: <name, all lower case>
Version: <version number>
Section: web
Priority: optional
Architecture: <i386|amd64>
Essential: no
Depends: <package>, <package>, <package>
Installed-Size: <size in kb>
Maintainer: <your name> [<your email>]
Description: <text>
That's basically all there is to making a deb package. The real difficulties come when making a repository out of it, but I have that handled on drdteam.org.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'm running 3.0.5.7, and have two issues: first, the Open File dialog box takes a really long time to appear, and second, I can't use the mouse wheel to scroll the list in List View.

[edit] Well, actually, I can use my mouse's horizontal action to scroll it, but this goes against Windows' behavior of letting you use the actual wheel to scroll if there's no vertical scroll bar.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The file dialogue doesn't take long to appear on my system but if I do click the add button I can hear my 3.5" A: drive (yes, I still have one) checking to see if there is a disk in it. So, perhaps add file thingy is checking all your drives or something.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

wildweasel while using 3.0.5.7 wrote: two issues:
1. the Open File dialog box takes a really long time to appear
2. I can't use the mouse wheel to scroll the list in List View. Well, actually, I can use my mouse's horizontal action to scroll it, but this goes against Windows' behavior of letting you use the actual wheel to scroll if there's no vertical scroll bar.
Ok so #1,
This could be because (as Enjay mentioned) drives are being checked. If there's any network drives that are trying to connect, that could be the issue. Windows is notorious for it's poor handing of networking devices. Are there any CD/DVDs in any drives when you open? I have little (no) control over what this dialog does unless I re-write it from scratch (non-trivial to the point that I can't) Does the save file dialogs open slowly too? (CTRL+S) Does anybody else have this issue? I've opened a github issue.

#2,
I tried reproducing here, and I'm able to scroll just fine. Did you click the list view before trying to scroll? Are there or are there not vertical scroll bars? I didn't re-implement the behaviour, so it's a deeper Qt issue then. Which of the list-views are you trying to scroll? I have 3 implemented. I've opened a github issue.
Xtyfe
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: qZDL 3.0.5.7 Beta Released (UPDATED May 25th 2012)

Post by Xtyfe »

Wanted to report that the latest version (3.0.5.9) seems to be failing to load zdl.ini at startup. I always have to use the "load .ini" function to fix it
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Xtyfe wrote:Wanted to report that the latest version (3.0.5.9) seems to be failing to load zdl.ini at startup. I always have to use the "load .ini" function to fix it
Is it loading the global initial instead? Check the first post on how to disable that, or run in diagnostics mode and give me zdl.log.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Ok, I have not been following qZDL's development at all, but I can't help but notice that it's a Qt application and someone is having an issue with the open file dialogue.

Earlier this year I working with a small team on a Qt application, and we also had this problem. For no apparent reason, on some computers, the open file dialogue would take forever to open, or simply become unresponsive. If you Google around, you'll see it's a known issue with Qt. Our solution was to implement one of Qt's alternate open file dialogue instead of the ready made one. Of course I may be wrong in this case, but if I were QB, I'd look into it.

Hope that's helps. (And we experienced the problem on Ubuntu and Windows, but mostly Ubuntu).
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Okay, ever since you changed it to use the native dialog system, it seems you marked the flags wrong, because when I click "Load .zdl", it gives me a save prompt instead, which means it gives the "Are you sure?" before allowing me to load the file every time, which is kind of annoying.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Siggi wrote:Ok, I have not been following qZDL's development at all, but I can't help but notice that it's a Qt application and someone is having an issue with the open file dialogue.

Earlier this year I working with a small team on a Qt application, and we also had this problem. For no apparent reason, on some computers, the open file dialogue would take forever to open, or simply become unresponsive. If you Google around, you'll see it's a known issue with Qt. Our solution was to implement one of Qt's alternate open file dialogue instead of the ready made one. Of course I may be wrong in this case, but if I were QB, I'd look into it.

Hope that's helps. (And we experienced the problem on Ubuntu and Windows, but mostly Ubuntu).
I've switched to using QFileDialog's static functions to open save/load dialogs, in Windows, this uses the Native dialog boxes. I'm unsure about the Ubuntu (Linux) performance, I haven't had any users report issues.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Seeing as you guys are talking about debian packages, I had the sudden idea to make archlinux pkgbuilds for this.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

You're certainly welcome to.

It may be worth pointing out that you can run configuration with "--disable-updater" to disable the internal updater. This of course comes with the caveat that I get no feedback on where I should focus my efforts (Bio's Gentoo EBuilds does this, I specifically implemented this option for package managers)
Ral22

Re: qZDL 3.0.5.10 Beta Released (UPDATED June 14th 2012)

Post by Ral22 »

I'm having trouble getting a multiplayer game running, and a few other things.

Do I need to set a Net Mode and Dup, as well as enable it? Every time I put something for those, then open the Multi Settings, everything is blank again. Is that supposed to happen?

For some unknown reason, I can't save a .zdl. Every time I try, it ends up trying to load a .zdl when I specifically click "Save .zdl"

Can I put anything in Hostname/IP Address? Does it have to be my IP Address, or can I just put "Ral22"?

Do I need to set a Frag Limit, even if it is in Co-op?

I'm using the latest version of QZDL on a Windows 7.
Enjay

Re: qZDL 3.0.5.10 Beta Released (UPDATED June 14th 2012)

Post by Enjay »

Ral22 wrote:For some unknown reason, I can't save a .zdl. Every time I try, it ends up trying to load a .zdl when I specifically click "Save .zdl"
That sounds like a permissions problem of some sort. Where have you installed qZDL to on your HD?

Forget that. I can't save one properly either. The save dialogue appears but if you type in a new name it gives a "file not found" error.

However, if you even make a dummy file with a zdl extension, you can save over it. So, it can save but the file needs to exist already (ie it cannot save a new file).
Last edited by Enjay on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Launchers”