GZShmup

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZShmup

Post by Project Shadowcat »

I'm only thinking theoretically here, but is it possible to run the sim with a different actor as your ship instead of using the player? Use a little hackery to detect the player's armor and shield ratings, shield recharges, etc. with some extra ACS? Maybe it is more work than you're willing to invest but I'm only thinking aloud.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Project Dark Fox wrote:is it possible to run the sim with a different actor as your ship instead of using the player?
ACS just can't move things fast/smooth enough. It's the reason why I had to turn off the player's turret graphics. At the speed the player can move, moving every tic stutters way too much.
Project Shadowcat

LilWhiteMouse wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:is it possible to run the sim with a different actor as your ship instead of using the player?
ACS just can't move things fast/smooth enough. It's the reason why I had to turn off the player's turret graphics. At the speed the player can move, moving every tic stutters way too much.
Makes perfect sense now, thanks for explaining. :)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Just had a crack at the latest version and this just gets more and more mind-blowing as time passes.

One thing I'm wondering, though - is it possible to disable the player's momentum? Most shmups have the player ship stop dead, but here the ship moves much the same way the Doomguy does, which can make it difficult to avoid taking damage in the more frantic moments.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

scalliano wrote:is it possible to disable the player's momentum?
All it would take (I think?) would be an A_Stop in the Spawn state (actor uses different states to bank L/R). Personally though, I like the effect. It makes the ship feel like it actually has a presence, and isn't just a static object.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Personally I like the momentum.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Fair enough. TBH I was asking more for personal future reference :grr:
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Post release changes:
The nose turret has been replaced with two chaser drones that take formation off the wings. They have their own models once again, but no longer try to strictly stick to position.
New player model.
Missiles now acquire a new target if their current one is destroyed. No longer unlimited ammo, enemies can now drop an ammo pickup. Found them to be much too powerful in story mode.
New Boss sub turret.
New Boss core weapon.
Improved the Boss robot claw layering.
New enemies.

Story mode is for the most part done on the gameplay and technical side. Dialog is still in the works.
[EDIT]
Another boss big turret.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

I wanted to let my better half edit/proof/critique/rewrite my dialog as my writing skills suck, but this is going to be delayed further because of RL. As such, I'm releasing a sort of beta demo, using my stock dialog. There's place holder names, and the grammar will make Enjay cringe, but it'll get the point across for now.
http://www.prdarkfox.com/lwm/gzshmup.7z Drag and drop on GZDoom to play.
Story mode is only playable up to a point, and it'll say it's the end of the demo when you reach it. Beyond that point my dialog is either unfinished, or embarrassingly worse.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

LilWhiteMouse wrote:I wanted to let my better half edit/proof/critique/rewrite my dialog as my writing skills suck, but this is going to be delayed further because of RL.
I could proof your stuff if you want help. I'm no tenured university English professor :) , but I'd be happy to help.
Project Shadowcat

I'm liking the story mode! I just think it would make sense a bit if you got a free armor repair while you're docked between missions.
Actually, the whole project has become beyond amazing. Completely forgot right away I was playing something under the Doom engine.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Project Dark Fox wrote:I just think it would make sense a bit if you got a free armor repair while you're docked between missions.
Would it make more sense, absolutely. I've intentionally not done this though because I'm concerned it would makes things easier then they already are.
Project Dark Fox wrote:Completely forgot right away I was playing something under the Doom engine.
I don't really see it as that much of a stretch. Doom is, after all, just a first person shmup at it's heart.

Post release changes:
Enemy wave levels in story mode are now handled automatically. Your first enemy wave only uses the first enemy type, second can use up to the second type, and so on.
Wave score goals now increase incrementally automatically as well.
Bosses are now leveled in story mode as well. Each boss you encounter can user another tier of options. I had runs before with the first boss being full size, and using it's hardest weapons, while later bosses were small and weak. Now the later bosses are forced to be full size. Still randomized though for variety.
Project Shadowcat

LilWhiteMouse wrote:Would it make more sense, absolutely. I've intentionally not done this though because I'm concerned it would makes things easier then they already are.
Considering I didn't really die between missions despite being at low hull, this is fair enough.
LilWhiteMouse wrote:I don't really see it as that much of a stretch. Doom is, after all, just a first person shmup at it's heart.
Perhaps. The look and feel of your game made me think otherwise anyway.
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Hey LilWhiteMouse,

Any chance we could get an audio warning on those insta-death beams fired by the boss cruisers? that would be a nice touch. The sound of something energizing, low pitch to high would be my suggestion.

Thanks again for this mod.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Insta-death beam? None of the boss' weapons should be capable of that much damage, except perhaps flying straight into a singularity. The only beam weapon has a visual cue it's about to fire.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”