Threshold Of Pain II - ACT 2 RELEASED

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Threshold Of Pain II

Post by Enjay »

Ravick wrote:Just loved seeing these melee zombies. It was something that lacked in Doom.
Simply there was no reason for so many military zombies and no traces of staff.
Agreed. Also, there was actually something quite special, and a bit creepy, about wandering around the base punching the zombie scientists to death (and dodging their attacks, particularly the axe - ouch!) . I was almost disappointed when I got a pistol and started fighting "normally". Mind you, I did find a secret that gave it to me earlier than the regular "out in the open" pistol would have done.

The ambience is very good in these levels. It has a good dose of D64 feeling about it and some other more modern games too. At it's core, however, it's very much Doom and IMO stands as a good example of how modern port features can be used to compliment and enhance all the things that make Doom fun.
scalliano

Re: Threshold Of Pain II - DEMO RELEASED

Post by scalliano »

OK, quick update:

KNOWN ISSUES:
Ability to swim on top of damaging liquids without being hurt - fixed.
Lord Of Heresy sprites swapping out with Baron's during melee attacks - fixed (again :P)
Ability to operate door to two-tier room in MAP01 from upstairs, fixed
Misaligned textures in MAP01 - fixed
Cybruiser's reduced health - fixed

All of the above fixes will appear in the full version. I'm leaving the demo as it is in case there's anything else I missed.

Also added this list to first post.
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

If you leave the demo as is, you won't get reports on any bugs introduced/missed by your fixes, and uncovered bugs might distract people from further bugs that they should report. It might be good for people who have started gameplay with this release to play through to the end to discover any later bugs, but generally I'd say bugs are best served fresh (from the most recent build).
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I really enjoyed the demo, loved the melee zombies as well. It all had a good creepy Doom 64 feel to it that I wish more mapsets would use.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

FDARI wrote:If you leave the demo as is, you won't get reports on any bugs introduced/missed by your fixes, and uncovered bugs might distract people from further bugs that they should report. It might be good for people who have started gameplay with this release to play through to the end to discover any later bugs, but generally I'd say bugs are best served fresh (from the most recent build).
True. Come to think of it, given that I haven't started on MAP04 yet, updating the demo with those fixes would give a better picture regarding balance changes too. Not to mention making the demo a bit more "complete".

EDIT: Done. Includes a few monster placement changes too.
PFL

Post by PFL »

I might catch you faster here I guess...

Well, really tiny minor thing if jumping is worth risking a look behind switches to find... a hidden switch, well, the one responsible for lowering down the grey wall in early level 2 will let the player stuck behind it.

One other small thing: follow the lava path from where the radiation suit is to the falling lava source; near the fall, the player won't normaly get back down from a jump, he will instead fall like if he was in water.

One last thing since I cannot continue: I found the teleporter to the plasma gun (uncredited if secret) at the very beginning of level 3. Then I have to jump to access yellow key card, then underwater switch to a secret sphere then ... no exit. I am stuck in that place. Am I missing something or was I at this place too early for doors to open?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

That's an oversight, that teleporter should only take you out of the slime - fixed.

EDIT: Another update to the demo. Hopefully that's the last of the gamebreakers dealt with, but if there is anything else, please let me know.
PFL

Post by PFL »

I've finished the non updated demo; mighty mighty good. Love the addons. Cool Doom3 green sector with spawning fear everywhere. Have anybody noticed the winged Barons' change of personality during a state of pain after a Berserk punch ? If not, well, yep! Keep on. You're on the very right track, ... again.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

How's work on this project going? I kind of feel like a douche for not having played the original yet, but at least I've downloaded it now.

I especially like the 3rd screenshot.
Dantos

Post by Dantos »

oh, I love this "psx project" :D
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Cheers, man. Progress has been slow but steady. 5 maps are in the bag, but most importantly all of the spritework is now complete, so I can concentrate on mapping for the time being. Still have to do the DECORATE for the new bosses, but they're map-specific ;)
Olroda

Post by Olroda »

Having played (and greatly enjoyed) Threshold of Pain, I'm glad to know that a sequel is being worked on. While there's been more than a while since any updates in this topic, I've spotted some nice images in the WIP topic from time to time, and I thought I'd like to give the 'demo' a try. Unfortunately, the download link doesn't seem to function. Is it still up for download?

Anyways, I'm anticipating the full release, which, if it is anything like it's predecessor, will surely be great, I reckon.

//Olroda.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Yes, DRD File Sharing is currently down, try this link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oxdda ... p2demo.zip

Updated first post too.
Olroda

Post by Olroda »

Thanks a lot!
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Nice to see this thread here as well as Doomworld. Really liked the first ToP, and I'm looking forward to this sequel.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”