Six Ways to Die

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ReX

Re: Six Ways to Die

Post by ReX »

Caleb13 wrote:
PFL wrote:You should consider making a Megawad out of all your maps; could be really good.
Ohh yes, I would love to see that happen, too!
I appreciate your encouragement, but somehow, simply joining a bunch of maps into a megawad doesn't seem like such a great idea. I think there needs to be a consistency and progression of themes, rather than just stringing together "unrelated" maps. [On a somewhat related note, a couple of weeks ago I started work on a DooM2 wad for vanilla DooM that I had planned to make into an episode-length game (i.e., as far as Map12). I honestly don't think I'll get beyond 12 maps, if I even get that far. I'm still on just the first map that I began, and I've already beome distracted with all my Christmas loot.]
wildweasel wrote:I would honestly love to see a retake on the concept behind Temple of the Ancients, but with a bit more depth to the different areas of the hub, perhaps special "weapons" that would be required to access certain areas, Castlevania-style.
I am typically loth to revisit wads that I've released, but if someone comes up with an idea for a collaboration I'd be open to suggestions. What did you mean by "a bit more depth"? More places to explore? More objectives to complete? [Your weapons idea suggests the latter.]

As for weapons, my DECORATE skills are rudimentary, at best. If you're up to the task of creating new weapons I'd be willing to consider reworking the maps and gameplay to accommodate the new arsenal. But I am a very slow and methodical mapper, which often tends to bog down a collaboration.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ReX wrote:I am typically loth to revisit wads that I've released, but if someone comes up with an idea for a collaboration I'd be open to suggestions. What did you mean by "a bit more depth"? More places to explore? More objectives to complete? [Your weapons idea suggests the latter.]

As for weapons, my DECORATE skills are rudimentary, at best. If you're up to the task of creating new weapons I'd be willing to consider reworking the maps and gameplay to accommodate the new arsenal. But I am a very slow and methodical mapper, which often tends to bog down a collaboration.
Well, here's some ideas I had...

In the original Temple.wad, the gravity pads are turned on with the press of a button, but said button is in a room that is locked with the standard Doom key. Perhaps inside that room would be not a button, but a "repair tool" weapon a la Battlefield, that you have to find a control unit for each gravity pad and repair it by "attacking" the unit with the repair tool.

Areas with near-impossible jumping puzzles could be circumvented by giving the player a "Kinetic Kicker" (borrowed the name from Project: Snowblind), which can be used to blast back enemies and projectiles a la Hexen's Disc of Repulsion, but also can be used to "safe rocket-jump" by using the kinetic force to propel yourself backwards, much like a rocket launcher, but without the health damage.

Each individual area could use more things to do, but unlike The Phobos Directive, not all of them would be visible off the bat, they would need to be discovered first by being in the respective area for it.
ReX

Post by ReX »

wildweasel wrote:Well, here's some ideas I had...

In the original Temple.wad, the gravity pads are turned on with the press of a button, but said button is in a room that is locked with the standard Doom key. Perhaps inside that room would be not a button, but a "repair tool" weapon a la Battlefield, that you have to find a control unit for each gravity pad and repair it by "attacking" the unit with the repair tool.

Areas with near-impossible jumping puzzles could be circumvented by giving the player a "Kinetic Kicker" (borrowed the name from Project: Snowblind), which can be used to blast back enemies and projectiles a la Hexen's Disc of Repulsion, but also can be used to "safe rocket-jump" by using the kinetic force to propel yourself backwards, much like a rocket launcher, but without the health damage.

Each individual area could use more things to do, but unlike The Phobos Directive, not all of them would be visible off the bat, they would need to be discovered first by being in the respective area for it.
My apologies for not responding sooner. I have been unwell for several days, and only managed to glance into the forums from time to time.

I very much like the ideas you've proposed, and would be happy to consider implementing them. As I said before, however, I doubt my limited DECORATE skills will get me very far. Therefore, if you would consent to that area of development, I can look into ways to expand the game (perhaps add some more maps to add to the playability factor), perhaps introduce 3D constructs (via ZDooM or GZDooM), and refine the weapons' behavior (which you'd be better off tackling than me).

If you're game, we can set up a forum on DRDTeam.org where we can get a discussion going.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I am certainly game for it - it'll be nice to actually have something to do. (Now let's see if I can remember my DRDTeam login.)
ReX

Post by ReX »

I've requested Eruanna/Enjay to create a forum on DRDTeam, and I'll let you know when it's done. We can then pick up this discussion there.

[Incidentally, one aspect I neglected to mention before, is new music. But more on that when we get our forum space.]
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Rex releases wad and posts thread on DW or ZDoom: check.

The usual suspects come in with a bunch of screens to claim that it sucks, that no effort was made and to nitpick on stuff that they wouldn't nitpick on if it was someone else's wad: check.

More usual suspects come in to defend with praise and comments that make it sound like they were playing completely different maps: check.

Back on topic: 1st map is a neat idea, if obviously prone to making it too easy/hard depending on the order you complete the sections in, but the 2nd is where it's at. Bit linear though and sometimes a bit bare in the larger areas, but the 3D stuff is fairly simple and goes nice with the simple 94-ish feel of it. Quite challenging too, and ammo was fairly tight in both maps.

This is the kind of thing we need to see more of IMO, maps that use 3D stuff but still retain the Doom feel (if only people could get over the "demo compat or TC" dogma when it comes to port choices). It's actually woven into the map too (gameplay and progression-wise) so it's not there just for show. The maps themselves have that low-detail classic Doom 1 feel to them, in terms of themes and texturing...and tbh 3D has great potential in this kind of field (ie. no need to go overboard, just stick a few in and make them part of the gameplay) and it's not even that hard to do either, as many of the structures were single-sector and therefore no harder than using Boom or Transfer_Heights deep water.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Rex releases wad and posts thread on DW or ZDoom: check.

The usual suspects come in with a bunch of screens to claim that it sucks, that no effort was made and to nitpick on stuff that they wouldn't nitpick on if it was someone else's wad: check.

More usual suspects come in to defend with praise and comments that make it sound like they were playing completely different maps: check.
Are you trying to start drama on purpose here? There wasn't any sort of escalation in this thread at all and now you're bringing up a bunch of old shit. Stop it.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Xaser wrote:
The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Rex releases wad and posts thread on DW or ZDoom: check.

Are you trying to start drama on purpose here? There wasn't any sort of escalation in this thread at all and now you're bringing up a bunch of old shit. Stop it.
It's a bit sad, really, considering TUD was even issued one warning for participating in the argument in the other Rex thread.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”