Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
hugoroy

Re: Doom weapons and enemies sprites HD (8x)

Post by hugoroy »

There is so slight a change in the look of the shotgun I can hardly see it.
It doesn't really matter though, other stuff is looking good so far.
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

These look GREAT :D
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

The main problem I have with keeping the heads HD and the rest of the sprite at it's original detail is that they clash with each other very sharply, and the raw filter looks god-awful. The filtered version is a great base to work with as a starting point, but by no means does it look good by itself; that's where the detailing comes in.

You can see the visual advantage of detailing the rest of the body, right? I mean, the filters really do look bad on their own.

Sorry for going on about it like this, but I really do think that this would make the project much better. But hey, it's not my project, feel free to do whatever you want with it, but I ask that you take serious consideration of these suggestions, as it could give this project the edge it needs to look mind-blowingly good.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Enjay wrote:Actually, I think that people are coming down a bit hard on thief666. Yes, the method he is using is not ideal but it is a compromise that allows him to actually get something done. Many projects like this have started and stalled because of the huge number of manhours it requires. Thief is at least getting some results. Who knows, once he has managed to get things done, the sprites he produces could serve as a suitable base for further work.
Yeah, I think that should be the point of this. Get everything upscaled and looking a little better, then slowly add more detail. Why waste the time going one at a time and never finishing? I'd use the pack in its current state, I think it looks pretty good, though the bodies do need a little more work.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

there's a penis on that "HD" shotgun.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

I like the expressions on the faces at least, they look menacing.
Anyway if you really wonna get through every sprite in the game with nice results, I'd say you should try getting a team, because even if you can do it alone, you'll give up just because it gets boring. It does. Very.
I could help out, after sprites being vectored n' all, and I know guys who'd also wonna help.

Someone already posted, but here's it again:
http://thedoomuniverse.prophpbb.com/topic48.html
(ignore just about every sprite on there so far :lol: )
BTW, those are NOT the sprites we've made, most are by this guy that gets WAY TOO exited about making sprites :lol:
None of our good sprites are on there, we haven't though about re-starting the project again, not yet. Please join if you're interested.

Our team had:
-Me, making details n' shading (I stopped makin whole sprites on my own cuz mine looked like crayon pictures :lol: )
-Blox, made monsters, fuzzy style. I see he posted some sprites he made here
-MAthey Bu, banned here ( :lol: ), but very helpful to us, he's gotten about 10x better since he started, very motivated
-Henery (tried helping out, hasn't said much, idk his whereabouts)
-Vilde123 "Pelle123," very good spriter guy, made the best bases, that is, hi-res reshapes, best in terms of higher res

Anyway I couldn't tell for sure who's available now, they can all be busy... but we all are connected at Doom Universe
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hey Mtzfire

of course I know about you guys! just couldn't track right forum;)
Regarding sprites, teamwork, vector scaling and "HD elements approach"
here is little summary how I predict this approach should work. Righ now I am on the stage of getting all bad guys vector scaled and
adding HD heads. Then will be secondary HD elements and then polishing and getting rid of this weird lines (effect of vector scaling)
here is project outline, as you can see for final look teamwork is necessary:

and regarding Heads/faces "menacing" expression, this is exactly what I think is most important and why I think HD head adds so much to sprite perception.
Ive tried so many variants of HD faces aiming specificaly to get menacing and "evil" expression. I am happy to hear that at least to some degree it worked.

I will be gone for entire week with just phone-internet, hopefully if you like project outline we can get in touch here or at doom universe forum.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

We have much to discuss, there are so many methods we have learned! :D
Take a look at the last page in our thread, that one shows one of our latest methods, Mathey's work on the Baron. It's practice, and we all need to start practicing again

Please join Doom Universe, I look forward to seeing you there
-There we can keep it about the sprites n' nothing else
-The whole team can stay connected there
-It's a topic that will get bumped, constantly
-There we can keep it a priority, and you'll get support
No prob if you're gone for the week, just join when you can and let me know, at DU my name's: "BJ Vynz"

Once we make some really cool sprites, then we can post the good stuff here, once we have enough (ALOT) :)
I think with your work and our work we can make something most people like

Note: I won't bump this thread anymore, sorry for any inconvinience guys
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Its sorta strange how technical this is getting when you are basically looking for new ways to smudge and filter. I'm not picking on you, it is what it is, and they are what they are and I am sure some people will use them. Great effort. :)
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

The biggest issue with theese HD projects are the god damn 8x. Why up the resolution by so much? A 2x or 3x project would sound plausible.
Atm you have a really high resolution but the added detail is super minimal. It makes the monsters look like bad paintings instead of a real monster. I think that even how much you are going to try, getting something that is scaled down 8 times to look good is pretty much impossible, you are just going to see that it is not 3D. This is why we use models theese days.

Heres an unfinished frame of a 3x hires Demon that Vader made back in the days. (it might be 4x i'm not 100% sure)

If you look at it. Its only 3 times bigger than the original, yet it looks so much more hires than any of theese 8x sprites. Why bother upping the resolution that much if you can't provide the needed detail for it. Id suggest you keep on going with the project as a 2x or at max a 4x project instead. It will only look better and more fitting than 8x. And you are still going to be able to slap in as much detail as you are able to with the 8x project atm.

Otherwise, based on the 2x screenshots that has been showed, it looks somewhat ok. Its not the best but having atleast the faces be more defined will give it a more high-resolution look. And I'd say keep on doing it.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

"Must. Eat. Babies."

This is what I'm talking about. Detail! High definition means you get more detail, not just big splotches.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

No matter what anyone says, these are awesome looking. Sure they need some work and whatnot but that's the nature of beta stuff, it's simply not finished yet.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Slax wrote:This is what I'm talking about. Detail! High definition means you get more detail, not just big splotches.
So I guess the Street Fighter HD sprites aren't HD at all, just hi res :?
Spoiler:
As you see, there is barely any new detail, it's maybe got 2x the detail, but just about 90% of that "detail" is just differences in the shading. What it does have, and ALOT of it, is clarity, which is what HD trully means, at least to my understanding.

I still think it's funny how HD and hires place each other in each other's place... :lol:

About the sprites here though, they can easily become HD, and get some deatil on them, it just takes time. I think what he was doing here was introducing another way to do it, which is great, there's no wrong way to do it, as long as you work on it untill it gives ya something good
Last edited by Mtzfire on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Mtzfire wrote:
Spoiler:
As you see, there is barely any new detail
excuse me?
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Doomhuntress wrote:
Mtzfire wrote:
Spoiler:
As you see, there is barely any new detail
excuse me?
Again, I guess you can't see that it's shading differences. No detail in the skin, clothes, boots, etc., what they use to show the "detail" is lots and lots of shading differences. They didn't use any texture, what you'd really call "detail."

Of course if you see the differences in shading as tons of detail, then that's your point of view, which is good.
My view in detail is texture, which you can see in Vader's sprite. Vader didn't use just huge contrast of shades in his sprite, rather tons of texture, and it looks great, and that's what I mean when I say detail

Of course people can vectorize the Doom sprites, add tons of shading differences, then call it a day. The sprites could look amazing, and that's cool. But I think the Doom sprites are better off with detail, only because of the different feeling you get with different art styles, the SF HD style wouldn't fit Doom, unless you really like anime, which is another thing

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”