Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
JustinC

Re: Doom weapons and enemies sprites HD (8x)

Post by JustinC »

Because the anatomy is screwy. Thats not an opinion.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

as we can see nothing will satisfy everyone. That an old truth always current though.
Srg. Mark basically explained to me how to make final polish as he did.
Ill try to make all rest 350 sprites regardless of negative opinions, mainly because I am currently playing wi HD IMP, DEMO nad shotgun guy,
and Ive tried but cannot come back to original sprites.
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

thief666 wrote:as we can see nothing will satisfy everyone. That an old truth always current though.
Srg. Mark basically explained to me how to make final polish as he did.
Ill try to make all rest 350 sprites regardless of negative opinions, mainly because I am currently playing wi HD IMP, DEMO nad shotgun guy,
and Ive tried but cannot come back to original sprites.
You should do one at a time. And give each one detail and attention...that way if you don't finish, atleast you will have 1 or more full monsters. putting little effort into each "HD" sprite will just result in floppy anatomy and patchwork madness.
If an "HD" sprite has pudgy banana legs or some kind of hernia coming out of his stomach, than the original sprites are superior.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hey, understand the critique,
I bet project form link wont get finish, for "500 sprites" reason.
Most probably creators will get older , have too many kids etc.

I know my sprites are crappy, basically Ive posted here becouse if somene likes them, maybe may help me etc.
while my sprites are crappy i know i can finish them, since I did already 150 out of 500. I will play that HD version simply beacuse i cannot play with low-res once I tasted higher res.
I will try to polish existing 150 now, its going quite quickly.
here is more polish soldier

i am adding some shades as Srg. Mark suggested. well see how it goes..
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Your sprites are good, don't get me wrong, and in another context, like making brand new monsters, they are great. Its only that when you upscale something like this, you sorta have to put your own spin on some of the anatomy...simply because ID had to try and squeeze detail in with a limited amount of pixels. Staying too close to the said pixels results in warped musculature. Like the Shotgun Guy above, I would shave off alot of that body with some cyan.
Spoiler:
I started making this quick dirty example. I had to take away alot of the pixels. Aside from that I used more airbrushing as opposed to smudging. Notice the right leg, if you follow the pixels too closely it turns into one log or tootsie roll, you gotta decide when to leave pixels and when to take them away.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

You are having some progress, but you still have lots to learn about the shadding.

Take a look on this one. The only tool that I used here is the brush. Notice how I used black to make borders in all important places like his gun and his shirt. Use the same color of his uniform to make more detailed blood, and paint around the blood splats.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

There are still some areas that appear really blotchy and pixelated, such as his shoulders and boots. The hands look like fleshy mittens.

The entire point of an "HD" sprite project is to add detail, isn't it? =P
thief666

Post by thief666 »

Hey its me again.
So I have played a bit with shading, and moreover I finaly chose best imp out of few variants Ive tested.
Its less :goofy" IMO that previous and less cartoonish than first. Ive tested it in-game and it kinda feels
like original.
Her is almost polished verion:

I would still like to ask for help (if anyone interested) with this sprite. I have no idea how
to make this blood look nice:

thief
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

While this is a great effort, I honestly think there needs to be more done to these sprites. The heads are done very well, but everything else just looks like it was run through a 2xsai filter and then run through some photoshop 'art' filter. I think more attention needs to go to these areas, as they just look bland in stark contrast to the very detailed head.
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Keep in mind, they ARE cartoons....lol. Doom is one big comicbook.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Think I'll follow this. Just because it looks so dang goofy.
Don't get me wrong, it could work but there's tons and tons of work to be done.

Lots of complete redrawing needed and that could get real messy.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Slax wrote:Think I'll follow this. Just because it looks so dang goofy.
Don't get me wrong, it could work but there's tons and tons of work to be done.

Lots of complete redrawing needed and that could get real messy.
Yep, best constructive criticism. ever.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

I'm just saying that smudging and adding detail won't work forever. Things will need to be changed and that brings problems.
Messing with the shotgun guy for example, adding detail to his weapon won't do much. It'll look like he's lugging around an oversized pipe. So, what do?
You can get away with stuff like that on small pixely sprites.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hey,
I dont want to redrw anything. The goal is to keep original lok and feel of monsters,
whil reducing pixelization and smoothing edges. Zdoom or gzdoom engine cannot realy smoot edges.

I want to add HD element here and there but make them look and feel like i think original would.
My sprites are not masterpieces they might be quite bad, I just want slight improvement pixelization-wise over originals:
here I got full set of that new imp, does it "feel like original?:

and here is expample of some HD touches to BrutalDoom animation (sprite not polished at all):
Last edited by thief666 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”