Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Blue Shadow

Re: Doom weapons and enemies sprites HD (8x)

Post by Blue Shadow »

@drfrag: Although thoes monsters on the cover resemble barons, I believe they are supposed to be imps not barons.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Just as easy as to have a look at the Doom Wiki...
http://mykdoom.tripod.com/baron_sketch.jpg
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hi,
thaks for artworks,
based on them i figured that this head should look more or less like this:
is it OK? (need some tweaking but does it overall fit Baron?)
Last edited by thief666 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

I know it's just the very beginning, but I dislike the face.
Keep up the good work on these :wink:
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

This sure as hell doesn't make sense but it's more in tune with the original. The eyes don't work, methinks. (See, you're already redrawing things. ;))
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah the face is gonna be tricky. I think the eyes are a bit too big, so he just looks kind of bemused rather than menacing. Like "Oh, it's you again..." The Baron and the Cyberdemon both have weird faces that are kind of hard to pick out outside the sprites.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

Slax, Ghost,
Agree with you 100% I dont care too much if something really make sense or not anatomically, doom mosters just need to have this X factor, menacing look as U mentioned. Thats
the spirit of them. They cannot be anime, cannot be too "cartoonish" should be more like geiger/ghotic stuff.

Slax,
your version of eyes is GREAT so for now i just took your version and added some shades.
In meantime i corrected jaw a bit:
but i am ma still not happy , seems baron of hell is still a bit too....cheerful? dont know what to change

Its pretty important to get decent head in 3 positions, beacuse then I will just very quickly add differnt expressions to them depending on frame of animation (open/closed mouth, more shut/more open eyes) -> this is very fast and hten and copy paste to all frames.

AND,
still hoping there is someone willing to help with vector resizing of sprites. That very easy, automatical, not too long (1-2 hours per ALL sprites of 1 monter)
timmyr0x0r

Post by timmyr0x0r »

Of course he's cheerful. He's going to kill you. :)
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

timmyr0x0r wrote:Of course he's cheerful. He's going to kill you. :)
I couldn't help but laught :lol:

Anyway, I like the face edits, only the eyes should both look mad, he does look confused in the last one, like someone else said. Anyway, you have to either make his eyes black, or actually make eyes, because I don't think they're supposed to be a foggy murky red. I know the original Baron concept shows white-ish eyes, so maybe they're white, or black, who knows...
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

I think that baron looks very good actually, I like the head.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

You could probably take some artistic liberties and give him actual eyes, because honestly the original Doom sprite's face is pretty badly detailed. I personally wouldn't hold it against you if you had to :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I quite like the small black eyes. They look evil. Agreed on the original sprite though. One or two of the original frames are pretty awful actually.
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

IMO 2x sprites are the only hi-res sprites that could possibly work. HOWEVER, the issue is that for them to look better in-game, the rule of doubles must be applied: double the res, double the rotations, double the interpolation. Yeah, that is downright impossible. I recommend sticking to original quality for monsters and other world actors, while HUD weapons/elements and textures could undergo doubles.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

Hey minigunner,
thak you for your input, the rule of doubles is qiute interesting but you know what? I am already playing with these hi res sprites and while rotations are not doubled, and interpolations also, they seems to work.
How do I know? I just cannot come back to originals, even though I tried hard (after first few really discouraging post) so I will have to finish it if I wanna play doom again.

how about such eyes: this are take directly form doom title art , posted fe post earlier:

And I want to ask again for HELP!!!!!!!!!!
This project can be finished really fast if anyone can help with vector scaling (which is again, extremely simple and fast: 1-2 hours per 1 monster or around 50 sprites)
Last edited by thief666 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That's pretty good, he looks pissed off and is actually looking at the player.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”