Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Doom weapons and enemies sprites HD (8x)

Post by Hellser »

Mtzfire wrote:I don't see what problem you're trying to show there :lol:
See I know that Skulltag can render hires sprites without loosing quality (I've done before), so what's the problem?

If it's the resolution, you just have to play at a higher resolution. Is it too hard? :?
A resolution of 320x200 looks awful, and a very, very, very old PC can run Doom at at least 640x480.
The point is, the character it self is 'lost'. Imagine having the game on Nearest instead of say.. bilinear or trilinear. The monster will degrade in quality much more quicker than the Doom Imp it self would. The trained DooMer looks at the shape of the monster, the silhouette.

So. The question is. What's the point of "hires sprites" when you can have MD2 models on Skulltag or GZDooM?
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Hellser wrote:
Mtzfire wrote:So. The question is. What's the point of "hires sprites" when you can have MD2 models on Skulltag or GZDooM?
Ah, I see.
Well in Skulltag you can use HD sprites and not loose any quality at all, you can even use photographs, and the images remain HD with all detail, and shape. I'll post a screenshot if you want.

Now I also think models have far greater potential, but so far all models look so blocky that the character is lost as well.

These are the only models I'd ever use instead of sprites:
http://www.doomascension.com/3dmods
I wish the artists luck :)

But untill those models are done, sprites will be better than the models currently available
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

All is not lost, though..

Has people really forgotten jDooM? Which uses MD2 models. I am sure it might take a while, but it is possible to convert their method of handling the MD2 models into GZDooM easily.

Also. Back onto topic before the thread is derailed.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

Hellser,

you did unfair comparison Sir,
if you take big sprite scale it down and up again it is gona loose some details, DOWNscaling destroys some details. So I took my and doom sprite and run it trough down scaling and upscaling.
My sprite is messed up but also doom sprite lost some details. Which looks better in 320x200? ORIGINAL.
what it proves? If you wanna play at 320x200 you dont need ANY HD packs (textures, sprites etc) beacuse original doom stuff is best adjusted to taht resolution as it was highes available at lauch date.
If you wanna play in higher res you want o use higher res textures, sprites and maybe monsters if they are well made.

regarding jdoom, as somebody said so far, for some, 3d models just doesnt fit doom somehow. thats why we have so many gore mods using sprites...
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Finally. An intellectual conversation.

True. DooM was released with 320x200 and 640x480 resolution in mind. But also too, you will have what's known as an 'Art Clash' between the on screen weapons (which is still using the DooM's 320x200 size resolution) with the higher resolution art (monster and textures).

If this is done for one mod, say, your own mod. Where everything recieves this update, then yes. It will work flawlessly. If mixed-and-matched with other weaponry or monsters.. The art style clash will be more apparent.
Spoiler: Art Style Clash:
Taking Star Trek into account, USS Voyager (the bigger ship, '95-'01) is much more detailed than the older USS Enterprise (from the '67-'69)
thief666

Post by thief666 »

Hellser,
True, true. Serious star trek fan here.

Oh missed the thing on vector scaling. I didnt came up with taht name, and yes this is raster graphics but algorithm for scaling this sprites uses some vector calculations to predict pixels positions for hi-res. Author calls it vector scaling.

But talking Doom, I just experienced this art crash when I loaded Hi-res textures pack and tried to play brutalDoom. Low res sprites didnt fit there.
Also there are hi res sprites packs (excluding monsters).

And you are dead-right about weapons, thats why weapons should be made hi-res as well. I actually have hi res shotgun and BrutalDoom rifle.
On my screenshots that hi-res weapons (early alpha stage) deosnt seem to make a difference but they somehow really make in-game.
Last edited by thief666 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Part of the problem is probably just the fact that they're all black/dark colors. There's not really much more detail work you can do in there, no wooden furniture to tweak or anything. Have you considered different sprites or anything for some of the weapons? I always sort've wished that Brutal Doom would replace all the weapon sprites with cooler looking ones.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

Have you considered different sprites or anything for some of the weapons?

Hey Ghost, I actually love doom weapons and true HDing them may make quite a difference, this screens are early alpha version basicaly focused on edges I will improve it further. Doom shotgun (single barrel) is my fav weapon ever. But you right I was thinking about mixing some HD stuff into them (like ironsights for real hi res photos etc)
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Honestly, I think the filtering has a neat effect to it; it gives sprites a almost sketch-like, hand drawn appearance. I think itd be cool to not only do the sprites in this style, but also textures and other graphics for a unique look to a mod.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hey guys, its me again,

'I am not sure if I should post here or rather avoind bumping that post since not too many people are interested in hi res project it seems.
let me know.
But for now I just want to ask for help in finding inspiration for baron of hell:)

overall project is going strong, but I ran into some problems: while rescaling and resizing sprites (tweaking look) I kinda get lost and forgot which is resized which not (slight deffference) I think Ill have to vector scale SHOTGUN GUY form begining from now Ill have to make safe copies very often.

on the side I am working on HD head for baron of hell, trying to understand its anatomy, if anyone knows some artworks etc which may help please let me know.
also if annyone wants to help to vector scale all baron of hell sprites here is receipe:

1) go to this page:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_com ... heet/27867
copy paste image containing all baron of hell sprites, save on desktop as bmp 24 bit bitmap

2) go here:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=507596

download and install SPRITE BOMB demo

3) Open you baronofhell.bmp in paint, divide that large picutre into pieces of soze smaller than 256x256 save as separate BMPs (for example baron1.bom, baron2.bom etc) (spritebomb accept images of that size or smaller)

4) sequentially open that files in SPRITEBOMB, resize to 400% wait. It takes some time to do calculations, program looks like it frozen but its working you will be able to acces menu when resizing is done. Save picture, you cannot open it in paint again because it has no extension but you will be able to open it in GIMP.

5) merge all resized pieces into one huge image with all srites, form that point on, its about selecting background and cuting it (make sure that transparency alpha channel is added in layer menu. I will gladly start working ont hat sprites from that point:)
Last edited by thief666 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

thief666 wrote:on the side I am working on HD head for baron of hell, trying to understand its anatomy, if anyone knows some artworks etc which may help please let me know.
Probably not the best thing out there but... how about this? :wink:

Edit: Image removed.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

From a jDoom high res pack.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Heh... that's even better. :)
thief666

Post by thief666 »

OK so this gray thing is actually teeth.
heh, that was easy:)
thx
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

http://www.mobygames.com/game/doom/cove ... erId,3907/

By the way your sprites look good enough to me.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”