[Megawad] Back to Saturn X

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
esselfortium

Re: [Megawad] Back to Saturn X

Post by esselfortium »

Nightfall wrote:It certainly looks like the 'washed' palette we're seeing everywhere.
The palette is original. There are exactly zero ripped resources in Back to Saturn X.

I'll do a post sooner or later demoing the palette's capabilities.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

esselfortium wrote:
Nightfall wrote:It certainly looks like the 'washed' palette we're seeing everywhere.
The palette is original. There are exactly zero ripped resources in Back to Saturn X.

I'll do a post sooner or later demoing the palette's capabilities.
It is a really nice palette+colormap. The GL shots don't do it justice at all.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Looks good from what I can tell. Is there a gameplay video anywhere? It'd give me a better idea on how well the wad plays since the screenshots have almost no enemies or anything.

Definitely looking forward to a release.
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

Beautiful :D
perfectpitchrob

Post by perfectpitchrob »

I'm guessing that the purplish sky is the third episode? There aren't many screenshots of it.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

You are correct - the third episode is getting a bit more love than the screenshots let on as well. My map, for example, is in E3, but the screenshot shows no sky.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Csonicgo wrote:Yeah, 100% custom sprites would actually be playable in vanilla, but 99% won't be. 50% won't be either. So we can assume that sprites aren't going to be modified.
Less than 100% custom sprites is absolutely possible in vanilla - you just have to make sure you rename the sprite frames (via a .deh file), so that none of the original sprites get overridden. STRAIN is a good example.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

NiGHTMARE wrote:
Csonicgo wrote:Yeah, 100% custom sprites would actually be playable in vanilla, but 99% won't be. 50% won't be either. So we can assume that sprites aren't going to be modified.
Less than 100% custom sprites is absolutely possible in vanilla - you just have to make sure you rename the sprite frames (via a .deh file), so that none of the original sprites get overridden. STRAIN is a good example.
I've heard about this, though unfortunately the problem there is the end result of it still requiring a patcher EXE (in this case Dehacked rather than DeuSF) to be able to run. In any case I don't really understand how the Strain method works, based on what I've read about the technical reasons for vanilla not being able to use a partial sprite replacement directly. (Everything between the sprite start/end markers needs to actually be a sprite, so you can't trick it with fake markers like you can with flats.)
Gez

Post by Gez »

More pedantically, everything between the markers need to have a sprite-like name or Doom craps out. You're perfectly free to put anything else in your sprites. As long as it's named something like DUMBA0 or DUMBA1A2 it'll be okay. The game will crap out if you ask it to display the sprite, of course, but as long as you don't it won't; just like it's okay with not displaying as flats things that are obviously not flats; but you should expect odd results if you use, say, F3_END as a flat somewhere in your level.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

It's that time again!

Please welcome to the stage...

RottKing

Travers Dunne

Matt "Mista_T" Tropiano

Valkiriforce

Brian "Snakes" Knox

(And hey, look, episode 3 exists!)
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

More beautiful screenshots. The new textures look great.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

Looks awesome :)
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Haven't said anything yet either here or DW, but I must say those are some amazing looking shots and the new textures rock. I like the palette too. Will there also be original compositions to enrich these maps' atmosphere?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

A lot of the music currently in with the maps is new, with the majority that I've seen being composed for the maps specifically.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Really awesomelooking!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”