[Megawad] Back to Saturn X

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
esselfortium

Re: [Megawad] Back to Saturn X

Post by esselfortium »

If something can't be run with vanilla, by definition it is not "vanilla compatible".

Back to Saturn X is vanilla compatible.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Will it require the expanded savegame buffer limit added with that one patch, or is it truly vanilla compatible? If the latter, I am very impressed. If the former, I remain pretty much just as impressed.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Some of the maps break the savegame buffer, like many other classic vanilla wads. When some maps are literally brushing up against the limits of total map size you can have in vanilla, there's not a whole lot that can be done about that.

(No one is forcing you to save. :P)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Nobody is going to force vanilla usage either :P

Also, I'm probably the only one who thought that it was a renamed Vapourware when first seeing the shots. Looking forward to it.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Loooking at some of the screenshots, you'll at least want a version that can manage >1024 floor/ceiling difference. :P

*Looks closer at keycard, water, and UAC screen* Oooh, custom palette too. Very nice blues.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Speaking of tall ceilings and palette shifts, here's some work from several more of Back to Saturn X's mapping crew!

Skillsaw

Darkhaven

Da Spadger

Torn

Image*
Joshy

Back to Saturn X also features an original soundtrack by Jimmy, Xaser, Darkhaven, Forty "Stewboy" Two, and Primeval!

Still more names and pictures to come :)

*purple sky subject to change to a Ptoing-contributed better one in the same color
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Agreed, looking good!
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

This is wholly awesome and I'm really looking forward to it, but:
esselfortium wrote:a vanilla-compatible megawad
Am I the only one who'd love to see a megawad in this style with ZDoom features and well-used Decorate monsters? >.<

Also, will this use Scythe 2's style of "Playable at the start, but you need to spam the BFG once you get past Map18"?
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:This is wholly awesome and I'm really looking forward to it, but:
esselfortium wrote:a vanilla-compatible megawad
Am I the only one who'd love to see a megawad in this style with ZDoom features and well-used Decorate monsters? >.<

Also, will this use Scythe 2's style of "Playable at the start, but you need to spam the BFG once you get past Map18"?
Given that all of the graphical resources used in Back to Saturn X are completely original to the project, any custom monsters (dehacked is a thing which exists) to be included would need to be sprited entirely from scratch. I don't really want to shove that kind of burden onto Vader :P

And nope.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Well, I wasn't saying Back to Saturn X should use stuff like that. I'm just saying a megawad like this using that stuff would be welcome. :P

And good to hear about the difficulty. I haven't seen too many megawads that I could actually play through start-to-finish.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Am I the only one who'd love to see a megawad in this style with ZDoom features and well-used Decorate monsters?
I personally go for that sort of thing in my own mapping. I've just not made a full megawad yet. Scourge doesn't use much ZDoom and Virus is only one episode afterall.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Am I the only one who'd love to see a megawad in this style with ZDoom features and well-used Decorate monsters? >.<
I'd be cool with ZDoom features, but monsters are a giant bitch to do properly. Even then, it harms compatibility with a lot of other mods that may have monster replacements.

I say this knowing full that there's only like three well-done monster replacement mods out there.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Progress continues! Here are some snapshots from several more of Back to Saturn X's mapping team:

Foodles

SlayeR (sirjuddington)

Iori

Phobus

DeathevokatioN

NaturalTvventy

Back to Saturn X Trivia: Mechadon's gothic, nonlinear contribution "Unstable Journey" is the largest map I've ever failed to get lost in while playing.

Tune in next time for another BtSX sneak preview :)
Pedro vc

Post by Pedro vc »

These new textures looks really good
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The screenshot form Phobus' map (4th screenshot), is that supposed to be some sort of nukage? If it is, then shouldn't it be radioactive (the sector being bright)?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”