ROTT TC - Update 1.6 [save bug fixed]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
el zee

ROTT TC - Update 1.6 [save bug fixed]

Post by el zee »

The full version of the Return of the Triad TC, has been released. :D

Get it at ROTT Headquarters.

Screenies

Updated Version [1.6]

Changes:

Fixed save bug!
Minor level tweaks
Added dialogue after the boss level.

Get it here

Make your own maps for the TC, see here for details: http://elzee.co.nz
Last edited by el zee on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: ROTT TC - Return of the Triad - RELEASED!!!

Post by Jimmy »

SHIT YEA

Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Fucking A. I've been waiting forever for this!
Nash

Post by Nash »

This mod is AMAZING! Everything feels so genuine, from the physics to the gameplay... you've perfectly recreated an ROTT with better-looking maps. Well done! :D

Only played the first level so far, I'm really lovin' it.

Just two things to mention right now...

1) The player weapons could benefit from tags. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_properties and search for "Tag". This would display a friendly name for users who switch their weapons using the mousewheel instead of some cryptic DECORATE actor name.

2) The HUD is visible during intermissions like the intro text and the level stats. If you're using SBARINFO for the HUD, a simple inventory check to render an empty HUD would do the trick. If you're using an ACS HUD, then it should be easier to disable HUD rendering during intermissions.

That's about it. Going back to playing. :D
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

I played the demo and loved it, definitely this mod will be an epic win :D :D :D :D >:( :D
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Congratulations on the release, sir - I'll be checking this out at earliest convenience.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

This is lots of fun. But I did notice a few small things:
-The excalibat is still a bit tricky to work with
-The hands of the characters holding the pistols still does not seem to change depending on their skin tone
-When the guards start begging for their life, they should die in one shot

Now about those new weapons...
Xim

Post by Xim »

Awesome! I loved the demo, so this should be fun. :D

Question, is there anything new added to the first episode of the demo? Or can I just jump right to episode 2?
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

I can run this with the latest version of gzdoom, but I get the impression that it is meant/described to be compatible with zdoom (the "g"in the description appears to be optional). Latest zdoom crashes somewhere in the first room with enemies. I thought it might be triggered by a death, but that doesn't seem to be it. Gunfire has also shortly preceded it.

Lastly, in gzdoom I noticed a fellow down in the pit, that I never noticed in zdoom. Doesn't mean he wasn't there. Afterall, the game crashed before I could take it all in.
yuyu3

Post by yuyu3 »

THANKS!!!!!!! MAN!!! i have been waiting for it, god bless you.. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
el zee

Post by el zee »

FDARI wrote:I can run this with the latest version of gzdoom, but I get the impression that it is meant/described to be compatible with zdoom (the "g"in the description appears to be optional). Latest zdoom crashes somewhere in the first room with enemies. I thought it might be triggered by a death, but that doesn't seem to be it. Gunfire has also shortly preceded it.

Lastly, in gzdoom I noticed a fellow down in the pit, that I never noticed in zdoom. Doesn't mean he wasn't there. Afterall, the game crashed before I could take it all in.
There seems to be a bug with the savegames, sometimes it just crashes when you load one and sometimes when you die it crashes trying to load the autosave. :/

Also what guy in what pit on what map?
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

Now I've played it for a while. It feels ooold. And beautiful. It's a magnificent piece. The various parts of the game and feel remind of so many games at once (at least three, perhaps more). It looks like Strife with brighter/more prolific lights and more artful environments (and no friendly npcs; t'is an enemy-base-romp). Something about it reminds me of Albion. Maybe the low doors give that sort of feel. The 3d-experiences that were not Doom. The music goes a long way with that feeling. Synth-horn-midi-orchestra plays a lively tune as you cavort through very impressive retro-futuristic factories of dystopium.

And the weapons... It is a very different Doom experience. Nice deathtraps. Surreal place.

And the guy in the pit: He may have walked there, or belonged there. I don't think it was wrong for him to be there.

It is the first room with enemies in the first map of the first episode. The "pit" is a large lowered rectangle (possibly also a square). I discovered him during the gzdoom run, when the game didn't crash, so I thought he might have something to do with the crash. But I don't think it was anything specific to him. I was also confused that he vanished shortly after I started shooting at him. Perhaps a fault in one of the death, wound or pain states.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Very fun over all, I just beat the first level. The level was nice and long, and very open and non-linear. Just the way I like it. I did find a few bugs, and quirkiness about what I've seen so far.

1. There are A LOT of weapons. Given that the bullet-shooting weapons don't run out of ammo, I don't think there is a need for 5 rocket launchers just in the first map. Makes it really easy, even on the hardest difficulty. I've die only from the pitch-fork trap. :P

2. In the area shown below, the glowing hot stone walls don't do damage, unlike the other ones around it.
Spoiler:
3. If you get god mode from getting enough of those coin things, and you find those two monk crystals to boost your health, you lose your extra health when god mode finishes. Not sure if this was supposed to happen or not.

4. There is a bug at the exit of each map. When you end the game, the status display comes up, but you can still fire your weapon. If you kill yourself with a rocket weapon, ZDoom will crash when you try to proceed to the next map.

I'll give you more feedback when I have to time to play the next maps. Nice work, over all. :cheers:
el zee

Post by el zee »

The first episode is the demo that was released about 6 months ago, the second is the 'full' version.

I think I might have figured out the savegame bug, its to do with the godmode.
I'm gonna try and fix as many bugs as I can.

I'm glad people like it, it took me AGES to make these levels, there's only 9 in the second episode, but they should take a while to get through.
I ended up cutting two levels because they just weren't coming out good, and I really wanted to get this out.

oh and if you're finding it easy, play it on hard, the enemies deal way more damage. Also it gets harder in the later levels.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Since it took me some 30 minutes to beat level 1, If all the map sizes are about the same, I'd say 9 is plenty. :) Besides, these play and flow well, and enjoyable. I'll take them over 50 shitty levels any day.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”