[WIP] GZDoom - Tower of Babel

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [WIP] GZDoom - Tower of Babel

Post by Hellser »

Here it is:
Spoiler:
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

ToB was now modified to use its own SVN repo instead of just packaging up the source code, now saving a lot of time while working with it.
* A fix for SETFONTDIRECT was added, it was possibly to not get images to be printed out under certain circumstances.
* A_SetDamageType was removed due to the idea being impossible with how ZDoom implements damage types anyway.
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

Hey, Ryan. What's your opinion on this feature?

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33069

Just thought I'd give it one more shot.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Again, in the middle here - while it doesn't sound too bad, Graf technically isn't wrong either. I'm not sure what sort of glitches this feature could present. A good reason why GunOffsetX/Y isn't in the official GZDoom is because it can interfere heavily with A_Raise/Lower.
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

Ah. Okay then. Now I can put that feature to rest. Thanks, Ryan.

Oh, I remember reading that you might incorporate Nash's Actor Roll script. While it might not be in yet, is it going to be added?

Also, how do I compile scripts specifically for ToB? I tried to make a script in SLADE3 and it won't recognize ToB only features.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

I'm not sure which functions won't work for you on ACS.

In the mean time, I started working on the RelativeToFloor and, for the most part, it works fine when the lift is descending. However, I still need to make it work with P_FloorRaise.

I'm also contemplating putting the check back in for disabling saves. I do agree that disabling saves isn't cool, but it's good enough that you can at least hide it from menu, making the player know that saving is discouraged but not disabled. Should come up in the next revision.
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

When I try to compile a script with "APROP_GunOffSetX" and SLADE tells me it is an undefined segment.

Really, you're adding it back in? Okay then... Guess who's going half-heartedly back to GZDoom...

Thanks for all the help, though, Ryan. I appreciate it.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

I said contemplating it. On one hand, one should at least experience the mod how the modder wants it. On the other, I understand not being able to save at your whim is incredibly frustrating (hello Difficult 64 in aTilt 3D Labyrinth for the Android OS. :| ). I find hiding it from the menu but overall allowing it to be used, at the player's discretion (the mod author can still discourage him from doing so, but not prevent), to be a nice middle ground between the two.

And oh yes, the trouble is that ACC needs to know about these new functions. If you modify zdefs.acs, try to find either "#define APROP_Dormant 31" or "#define APROP_Mass 32", then below that, add:

Code: Select all

#define APROP_DamageTaken  33
#define APROP_GunOffsetX  34
#define APROP_GunOffsetY  35
#define APROP_Radius 36
#define APROP_Height 37
#define APROP_PainChance 38
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

Well, do what you feel is best, Ryan.

Thanks. Well, I'll fiddle with ToB until you make your decision, and then I'll go from there.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Added Xaser's patch for NoImpactDamage on P_RadiusAttack calling functions (A_Blast, A_RadiusThrust).
Nullified the need for thrust values to be positive, essentially allowing "P_RadiusSuck".
Uploaded binary into the /svn folder, the source still stays in the /trunk.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Ryan Cordell wrote:Added Xaser's patch for NoImpactDamage on P_RadiusAttack calling functions (A_Blast, A_RadiusThrust).
Nullified the need for thrust values to be positive, essentially allowing "P_RadiusSuck".
Uploaded binary into the /svn folder, the source still stays in the /trunk.
I can't remember, but why is it that things like "P_RadiusSuck" have been declined again and again by Graf/Randy? I keep forgetting, but this alone is just... awesome! I'll have to try this out soon...
Gez

Post by Gez »

Major Cooke wrote:I can't remember, but why is it that things like "P_RadiusSuck" have been declined again and again by Graf/Randy? I keep forgetting, but this alone is just... awesome!
It doesn't work right.

Suppose you have a thing that is 10 map units away from another thing. This is pushed away by the other thing (A_RadiusThrust) with a strength of 30 units. It is now 40 units away.

Now, suppose it's A_RadiusSuck instead. The unit is sucked toward the thing by 30 units, and as a result is now 20 units away on the other side; further away than when it was sucked in.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Well, if it is 10 units away and you perform a strength suck of 30 units, that's... kinda what's supposed to happen. They're supposed to go through the center of the object and towards the other side 20 units away, if you ask me. It's naturally not supposed to wind up dead center unless it's constantly used as a gravity well.
Last edited by Major Cooke on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Major Cooke wrote:Well, if it is 10 units away and you perform a strength suck of 30 units, that's... kinda what's supposed to happen. They're supposed to go through the center of the object and towards the other side, if you ask me.
And if the RadiusSuck continues, then it'll be the effect of a gravity well. Sufficient velocity would be enough to escape it, but as it continues to act, the item will just keep slingshotting towards the center until it just plain runs out of momentum.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

If anything there probably will just need to be a distance check that decreases the pull strength the closer it is. That, or potentially change the position of the thing if it's close enough to the dead center, and decrease it's speed constantly while the function is called.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”