SBrightmaps.pk3 - Doom IWAD Brightmaps

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ethril

Re: SBrightmaps.pk3 - Doom IWAD Brightmaps

Post by Ethril »

ChronoSeth wrote:Why is the tip of the rocket glowing. o_O
*insert penis joke here*

*insert "insert penis" joke here*
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Heh, yes the rocket tips are glowing so you can better see them in the darkness + it looks cool. IIRC the fire has fullbright and the red parts have 50% brightness.

Also, some animated textures are a biatch in TNT and Plutonia, the on phase of the animated TNT switch that is in one of the screenshots still has some incorrectly glowing pixels on some frames... Let the pixel hunt begin...
DarkQuill

Post by DarkQuill »

Just a heads-up, your Mancubus/Fatso brightmaps aren't working (at least, from the download link). I see you've got the maps done, but I haven't checked your code to see if they're rigged correctly.
Everything else is spot on. I made brightmaps for enemies myself, but no matter what I did, PAINF1 would just not light properly. I'm glad to see you've gotten around that.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Strange, they were working fine for me. Are only the eyes missing, or is it not working at all? I may look into it on different settings (I used no texture resizing on my tests)

The Pain Elemental is one of my earliest brightmaps, and i'm not 100% satisfied with it, so probably i'm going to redo it. Also i need some more analysis on the Lost Souls. Thankfully none of them has too much frames.
DarkQuill

Post by DarkQuill »

Ah, found the problem. Not really a 'problem' on your part, but since you have all your maps flagged with "iwad", it means the brightmaps don't work on anything other than the stock sprites - I was using a simple Mancubus reskin, which has the same dimensions and properties for all intents and purposes.
It boils down to your preferences/sourceport - I'm running Skulltag which introduces a few reskinned enemies, and by not using the iwad tag, I can use the same brightmaps for them as I do with the default enemies.

As for the Lost Soul, it's iffy. On the one hand, it looks awesome with the accented fire, but on the other, the sprite is (in most ports) all partially transparent. So you either have a skull that is too dark (brightmaps, no dynamiclight, transparent), fire that isn't accented enough (brightmaps, dynamiclight, transparent), or solid flames (brightmaps, no dynamiclight, solid). Again, I'd say it's up to personal preference, like your Cyberdemon dilemma.
The only 'perfect solution' would be to create a new Lost Soul - remove the flames, make it solid, darken it, and then use a flare emitter as fire, much like the one depicted in your avatar :p
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Update: https://rapidshare.com/files/1120059050/Sbrightmaps.zip

- new brightmaps for a lot of things, including: Cyberdemon, Pain Elemental, Torches, LITEx walls, and a lot of others
- expansion texture brightmaps (TNT, Plutonia) in separate files (because they overwrite some definitions)
- de-flagged the iwad flag from monsters, so they now work with skin packs (i tried it with Epic2 - it has a few slightly modified sprites), now only the Flats, Decorations and Pickups are IWAD flagged.
like the one depicted in your avatar
That's from my high-def (sort of) enhancer mod, search for Particle Fire Enhancer if you are interested)
Legend

Post by Legend »

Just tried running with the latest gzdoom. Don't seem to notice any difference. I put it in the autoload of my config file. Am I missing a setting or something?
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Did you put the .zip in, or the .pk3s (inside the .zip)? Because i don't think the .zip works with .pk3s inside, i just uploaded it that way so that it can be downloaded in a single file.

Also it does not make much difference in bright rooms, although if you try it in the original Doom2 maps, you are bound to notice thing quite early on (Zombieman and Imp eyes, health pack crosses, switches, the small lights on the pipe texture in MAP02 - that one is really standing out in the dark)
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

I've tried it and I can say its very, very atmospheric. The darker the zone is, the better. Its now a must in my DooM. Congrats Z86, you did an excelent work :)
Legend

Post by Legend »

Did you put the .zip in, or the .pk3s (inside the .zip)? Because i don't think the .zip works with .pk3s inside, i just uploaded it that way so that it can be downloaded in a single file.

Also it does not make much difference in bright rooms, although if you try it in the original Doom2 maps, you are bound to notice thing quite early on (Zombieman and Imp eyes, health pack crosses, switches, the small lights on the pipe texture in MAP02 - that one is really standing out in the dark)
Yeah. I unzipped it and put it in my main doom folder.

Played Doom 2 through to map 03 and never noticed anything. Even turned on god mode and just hung out in the dark areah etting the monsters hit ,e trying to see if their eyes glowed. Didn't notice anything. :(
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I guess make sure shaders are enabled?
Legend

Post by Legend »

I have gl_brightmap_shader set to true, but still not seeing any difference. :(
marble

Post by marble »

DarkQuill wrote:The only 'perfect solution' would be to create a new Lost Soul - remove the flames, make it solid, darken it, and then use a flare emitter as fire, much like the one depicted in your avatar :p
Ugh... no, just make the Lost soul solid, and without no flare emitter. i hate how GZdoom forces me to have a semi-transparent ugly Lost soul. and flare emitters look ugly as well.

EDIT: also, you might want to upload your mod upload3r, rapidshare makes me wiat like 5 minutes every time i want to download something.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

marble wrote:i hate how GZdoom forces me to have a semi-transparent ugly Lost soul.
Set the TransSouls variable to 1.0 - No "forcing" is involved.
marble

Post by marble »

EDIT: crap, delete please?
Last edited by marble on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”