[WIP] Doom: Evil Unleashed -- announcement

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jake Crusher

Re: [WIP] Doom: Evil Unleashed

Post by Jake Crusher »

wildweasel wrote:Considering that he has only now decided - after one small mistake - to return and reassert his leadership over a project that, two years ago, he wanted nothing more to do with? Not cool.
So, first he left the project, and after that unsuccessful crowd-funding thing suddenly decided to return?
...wasn't something similar with TNT 2:Devilution (you probably know, what I'm talking about...) some time ago?

To me, Sodaholic should work on his own vision of EU - was it on Chocolate Doom?
For some reason, I believe in hfc2x. Especially after he shared of project's videos with us, and I see that the progress has been made.
And now to shut it down?
From the one side, if hfc2x would have succeeded in his idea - that would be different thing, right?
But he decided to stop it.

Don't see any logic (correct me, please, if I'm wrong)...
And yeah, I am aware that some time before, Sodaholic was working on it.
cortlong50 wrote:It really is weird how cursed doom bible projects are.
This has gotten way out of hand.
I'd say - let hfc2x finish the project.
Or at least - find the compromise.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Oh wow, OH WOW! I didn't even notice this piece of drama right here because, as most of you have noticed already, I've never been much of a forum person myself. That said, I find this completely hillarious because this is incredibly childish, not to mention he's obviously trying to take advantage of all we have advanced since I took this project.

This reaches new levels of ridiculous as he is claiming ownership of this? Come on, if someone is to be credited for that, that person should have to be Tom Hall himself, who is actually quite happy that I am working on this (not to mention he was eager to support the whole Indiegogo fiasco). In fact, like 99% of what Sodaholic made for this project is already out, so I don't know what does he own about this.
Gez wrote:Sodaholic edited the [wiki=Doom: Evil Unleashed (hfc2x)]project page on the wiki[/wiki], and this was reverted. I'm not sure how to handle the situation yet. If it seems like an edit warring in the making, I'll protect the page.
And could you please revert it? I still see his name there, and as he clearly said he didn't want his name to ever be included in it again, I see no reason for him to be mentioned. I am the one still working on this, and I haven't said I will hand it over to him again.
wildweasel wrote:About the only things he can legally claim credit to are probably the computer voices and the code. The rest is so deeply rooted in the original, id Software-copyrighted assets that demanding that they be pulled is pretty much meaningless, since they can be very easily recreated from the id assets.
The computer voices are gone because we needed a lot more lines than what the Doom Bible mentions, so recording the new ones with a different voice needed the old ones to be re-recorded for consistency.
As for the code, Sodaholic hadn't scripted a single ACS script when I received this project. I coded everything ACS myself, and it's not just a few, the main library source contains 709 lines (and the Helmet ACS source is 1718 lines-long). All he did was include faulty DECORATE code which caused thousands of errors at startup, which I got rid of. I did actually write all the DECORATE code from the ground myself.
The only thing that we're keeping are the maps (which weren't converted by him, but by Deathz0r) and the Status Bar, which I can replace or get rid of at any moment.

So I have to ask, what is he even claiming ownership of?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Well, after these posts I know everything now. As I said on DW:
Hmm, I honestly can't take a side. Sodaholic is trying to take ownership of a mod he ditched two years ago over an incident that ended a month back and lasted only a day. Meanwhile, hfc2x is being a jerk and calling his former co-developer (whose work this mod is based off of) names and insulting him behind his back.

Honestly, out of this drama, I can only see this thread (and mod) go to (Post) Hell. R.I.P Evil Unleashed.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

It's nice to see that Sodaholic still plays nicely with others when his prescription runs out.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Common sense is to ignore the troll and don't acknowledge his threats of a hostile takeover. He's obviously wanting attention (responsible name for fame) so don't give in to any of it.

Blasphemer dodged a bullet.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Gez wanted things to be settled down amiably, but I really think there's nothing to discuss lol
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Kinsie wrote:It's nice to see that Sodaholic still plays nicely with others when his prescription runs out.
To be fair, Sodaholic isn't that overtly asinine asshat who got himself kicked out of the Doomworld forums, since he's shown to be a lot more mature. But if there's one thing that hasn't changed, it's that he can also be a vindictive a-hole.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I think the Sodaholic bashing has gone on for long enough. I think if this thread's going to continue, we should probably stick to talking about the project, and not a former member of it.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

So yeah about the project; where are you at right now in its development?
Dr_Proton

Post by Dr_Proton »

I have something to contribute to this mod, hope you can use it 8-)

Here's the Doom Alpha Hud which I cleaned up and edit some bits to it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3l9ed ... lphaHud.7z

Photoshop is recommended.

And if you like that kinda stuff you can also visit my DA : http://crankd.deviantart.com/
Spoiler:
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

yeah
Piece #3 I did for "DoomNukem" for his friends and steamgroups until he used them without credit and now lists them under his own work here on DeviantArt.
Given the circumstances of the situation combined with righteousness over derivation of copyrighted commercial artwork, this would be a bad idea.

Plus that alpha hud is cumbersome anyway, and the modifications you did actually are worse and hamper readability.
Last edited by leileilol on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cage

Post by Cage »

In the light of recent of recent things I thought I may write something:

If you guys are still using any of the graphics I've made for the project in the past, feel free to use them however you like, whatever the circumstances.

I'm going to repeat myself again: good luck, this project is closest to lifting the Doom Bible curse!
Dr_Proton

Post by Dr_Proton »

I don't quite understand what some "work" on deviantart has do to with the alpha, can you please explain this to me ? Ohh and by the way, what's your "problem" with my modifications ?
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

This needs to happen.

Please, someone sort this out, and then let fuck nothing stand in Evil Unleashed's way.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

SamVision wrote:So yeah about the project; where are you at right now in its development?
Check the blog for updates, since it's updated regularly (you can also ask questions).
Dr_Proton wrote:I have something to contribute to this mod, hope you can use it 8-)
Hey, thank you! But I'm sorry to say that we have almost 90% of the game assets (not counting the cinematics, duh) already finished. I'm sorry, since I'm responsible for not posting updates, screenshots or any playable demos yet. For the record, we DO already have a finished, working Helmet HUD that also automatically changes to fit your screen resolution:
Spoiler:
leileilol wrote:Given the circumstances of the situation combined with righteousness over derivation of copyrighted commercial artwork, this would be a bad idea.
This is something I have to disagree with, since it's like being a bit too oversensitive. If this was true, no mods, custom sprites or fanart could ever be produced without breaking the law, due to them all being made over copyrighted work.
Cage wrote:If you guys are still using any of the graphics I've made for the project in the past, feel free to use them however you like, whatever the circumstances.
Hey dude, thanks! But I thought you had already said that. By the way, check your inbox, I sent you a PM like two months ago.
Jaxxoon R wrote:Please, someone sort this out, and then let fuck nothing stand in Evil Unleashed's way.
See TroubledProduction

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”