Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kyka

Re: Winter's Fury: An Archvile brought it back.

Post by Kyka »

This looks simply incredible, one of the best looking maps I have seen.

I didn't think I could be blown away by much on a Doom level, but apparently I was wrong on that.

Of course great screens do not say much about gameplay, but seeing as I loved "Insanity's Edge", and have played it heaps of times, I think gameplay will be pretty good too.

If it is not too much trouble, could someone post links to some of Starscream's other creations? Would love to check some other work out.
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Kyka wrote:If it is not too much trouble, could someone post links to some of Starscream's other creations? Would love to check some other work out.
Other than Winter's Fury and Insanity's Edge, I have only done one other project. My first released mod to the community was Darkness Falls, and in my personal opinion, it isn't very good. Of course I thought it was great back then, but that was a long time ago :P

The gameplay was ridiculous, the texturing was horrible, and some things just make you wonder why they are even there.
If you still want to play it, it's here on idgames archive: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15565

On a different note, I have been trying to work with the lighting in my maps now. It's hard when I have 4 maps setup to use the same system of lighting, without any care for more extended uses of it. I should be able to get more done in my upcoming break, so stay tuned I guess.
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Bump.

Here is a WIP-ish screeshot:

Trying to get the fog to actually make the mountain fade away seemed much easier in thought then it actually was.

Anyway, I have completed MAP04 now, and begun work on MAP05. I have been thinking about releasing the first 3 maps as a beta version to everyone, so people can muck around with it and report any bugs they find or things they don't like about it.
Thoughts?
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Still looks like it'd be hard to navigate...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I can't say one way or the other whether it would be hard to navigate or not. From the shot, I can imagine it being very easy or very tricky. However, it looks most impressive.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hooly~

If you could get a screenshot of that at 1920x1200 (or in a similarly-large 16:10 resolution), I'd seriously use that as my background.
Vader

Post by Vader »

:shock:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Epic atmosphere :D
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

That so very much reminds me of nehahra.
MytiS

Post by MytiS »

Hi. So, I never do this, but I'm going to go to my tool bar, and I'm going to bookmark this thread. This is truly incredible, you never see this vast openness and detail is not something one expects to see in doom. Those mountain ranges make me think of minecraft, where you actually see that. While the indoor areas are a bit overly detailed for my tastes, they still look great and even with half the detail in those rooms I still think they would look just as good. Keep up the exceptional work!
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

That view of the mountain looks really great. That is the kind of scenery I try to aim for when I do my doom maps theese days too. And I've been really inspired by you, starting from your stronghold maps (You are starscream right? :P ) I remember that big mountain thing in the drill map, and that's pretty much what got me started.

However while i've been trying to achieve theese kind of scenery myself. I've always failed by making stuff too small. To have something look that majestic like your mountain there, the thing needs to be incredibly huge. Is there a chance one could get a DB shot of that? ;D
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Now believe me, it took me 5 different attempts to get that mountain looking like that. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, so I ended up going with the easiest approach.
Spoiler:
As you can see, it's in pretty sloppy shape. Most of it's pieces are simply placed next to each other, with other smaller bits added later to make it look better. It really can be a trial and error process.

But, for those who don't care about the mountain, here is another screenshot:
Spoiler:
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

I can't describe the awesomeness I'm seeing. Bookmark'd.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Jaw-droppingly gorgeous shots! :shock:
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Bump. Small update report thing.
Spoiler:
They are a bit dark, but they should be able to be seen on most monitors.
It is pretty dark in game too, but you don't actually do any fighting, as the bit is purely atmospheric and designed for suspense building. Just follow the torches. :P

Other than that, Map 5 and it's counterpart, Map 5B, are both almost complete. Just a few more touch-ups before I start on map 6. I also may be releasing a public alpha of the first part soon.

Return to “Levels”