Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pyroscourge

Re: Winter's Fury: An Archvile brought it back.

Post by Pyroscourge »

Another bump.
Spoiler:
Some shots of Map6 as it's pretty much complete at this stage. I still need to do some editing here and there, but it is coming along pretty smoothly. Just in case you wanted to know.
To be honest, I actually had trouble making this map as I couldn't decide on which direction for the story to take. Eventually I decided to go with some stuff which is relatively easy to follow, so don't be worried about being too confused by that. It's really hard to tell a story from the perspective of someone who is learning as they go when you already know the whole thing. I guess that's how plot holes are made. :P

Also, since nobody had any opinion on the last 3 times I mentioned it I have decided myself that I will release an alpha of the first 3 maps to the public, probably in the next few days or so. Depends on if I feel like uploading it at the time. :P

EDIT: And I just noticed the misalignment in the last screenshot. It's driving me insane.
Machalite

Post by Machalite »

There's a little schoolgirl in my head hopping up and down uncontrollably, squealing in a fit of ear-shattering joy and anticipation at the prospect of playing this...

By that I mean, I cannot wait if you're going to release a demo.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Perfect way to get my mind off this damned heat! I can't wait for the demo. :)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Still reminds me of Nehahra. (and Warp Spasm, I guess).

That's a very, very good thing.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

I love those energy beams! Very nice! :D
Pyroscourge

Re: Winter's Fury: 3 Map Demo Released!

Post by Pyroscourge »

FINALLY I have released this demo. It is the first 3 maps of the mod, or the first part. Please try it out, and tell me what you think!

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... y-demo.zip

An Important Note:
At some points in the mod, it can lag quite a bit. Pressing 'Q' in-game is the default button to turn off the snow which can improve performance a bit, but otherwise I can't really help.
On a more positive note, if you do find the mod to be playable, then please comment on it here! Things you did like, things you hated, things that you think should be changed, things that were really dumb, too hard, too easy, not enough impse, anything!
...Well, as long as you are offering a constructive point of view for fixing the problem. :P

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Enjoy!
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Verdict after finishing map01: Attractive setting, lots of very impressive scripted effects, and would be quite immersive if it weren't for the insistence on padding out a short map with billions of gameplay-stopping cutscenes, unnecessary doors, and unavoidable fights in tiny cramped rooms.
el zee

Post by el zee »

This was pretty cool(heh), I played through the whole thing, the boss was neat. The detail is very intricate, and it must have taken ages, the ceiling detail was pretty amazing in some parts.

The layout is fairly linear, and the fights are pretty cramped. The outdoor parts were among my favourite. I didn't find the cutscenes too distracting, plus you can skip them.

There was one bit where I got stuck though, Image

I pressed the red button, it didn't do anything though - I assume its meant to open the cave on the otherside, I clipped through the wall anyway.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Holy shit, this is awesome. It looked great in the screeens but damn, I wasn't it expecting it to be this good. The maps are beautiful and the icy monster sprites look great. I like that it's reasonably difficult on UV. I also like that the barons aren't as hard to kill as I expected ;p Good work!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I completely and totally approve of this.

Weapons feel great ('cept maybe the pistol, not that it matters), the setting is executed well, and it's not quite as cutscene-heavy as I was afraid it'd be after reading Essel's post (it's much less so after MAP01) -- just the right amount, I'd say. Also, not too bad in the fun department either. :P

The boss was a blast to fight, although I think he cast that spam-the-room attack a bit too many times. I practically drowned in bouncy projectiles the first time around. :P

Also, nitpick: The rocket launcher firing sound is set up so that it sounds like it's delayed a half-second. Not very natural... admittedly a lot of it is due to that particular sound effect, since it felt that way even in Doom 3, but it's much exaggerated here.

And I've said it before, but after playing it, yeah, I'm still getting a Zen Dynamics vibe from the wad. Only 100x more well executed, so kudos. :P
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Xaser wrote:I completely and totally approve of this.

Weapons feel great ('cept maybe the pistol, not that it matters), the setting is executed well, and it's not quite as cutscene-heavy as I was afraid it'd be after reading Essel's post (it's much less so after MAP01) -- just the right amount, I'd say. Also, not too bad in the fun department either. :P

The boss was a blast to fight, although I think he cast that spam-the-room attack a bit too many times. I practically drowned in bouncy projectiles the first time around. :P

Also, nitpick: The rocket launcher firing sound is set up so that it sounds like it's delayed a half-second. Not very natural... admittedly a lot of it is due to that particular sound effect, since it felt that way even in Doom 3, but it's much exaggerated here.

And I've said it before, but after playing it, yeah, I'm still getting a Zen Dynamics vibe from the wad. Only 100x more well executed, so kudos. :P
Ah yes. The infamous spam attack from the boss. I might lower his chance to cast that, as it does make it a bit difficult and can create some lag.
I haven't actually noticed the sound problem from the rocket launcher until you mentioned it. That's a good point, I will see what I can do about fixing that.
I got a LOT of inspiration from Zen Dynamics so thank you very much for that amazing mod. I also got inspiration from Psychic for the SSG. :wub:
Thank you for the feedback Xaser!
el zee wrote:This was pretty cool(heh), I played through the whole thing, the boss was neat. The detail is very intricate, and it must have taken ages, the ceiling detail was pretty amazing in some parts.

The layout is fairly linear, and the fights are pretty cramped. The outdoor parts were among my favourite. I didn't find the cutscenes too distracting, plus you can skip them.

There was one bit where I got stuck though, Image

I pressed the red button, it didn't do anything though - I assume its meant to open the cave on the otherside, I clipped through the wall anyway.
The Red Button there opens the door on the other side, which makes some enemies spawn. There should be a crouch passage in the cave with the river that you can use to get to that open door. Perhaps that wasn't as easy to see as I thought. I will make it more obvious then, thank you for the feedback!
esselfortium wrote:Verdict after finishing map01: Attractive setting, lots of very impressive scripted effects, and would be quite immersive if it weren't for the insistence on padding out a short map with billions of gameplay-stopping cutscenes, unnecessary doors, and unavoidable fights in tiny cramped rooms.
Very good points here Essel, thank you for taking your time to play the demo. Clearly my eye for game play still has not improved enough since Darkness Falls, as I seem to make a lot of cramped rooms. I believe there are about 6 in particular over the 3 levels which suffer GREATLY from this problem, although you can tell me if you think there is more. I shall take my time to fix these rooms (and remove a bunch of doors, I agree :P ) to hopefully create a better experience when playing. The way I tried to put the cut scenes were so that you find them mainly at the start and end of the levels, so the don't interrupt core game play too much, although some such as the ceiling grate falling do take away from the game play. In a later version I do intend to put in an "arcade mode", which removes everything story related, cut scenes, and allows Co-operative play for up to 4 people. Thank you for the feedback anyway, it is most appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who has played the mod and couldn't be bothered to comment! :P
perfectpitchrob

Post by perfectpitchrob »

I really enjoyed how this turned out. The whole atmosphere, and overall flow of the levels really was nicely designed. The starting areas of map 3 helped set up a perfect atmosphere for the boss battle. I also appreciated certain elements like having each level connect to the next and being able to see inaccessible areas of future levels/areas already visited in past levels.

One question I had, is map 3 going to end suddenly like that for the final release? There was a huge outdoor cavern at the end that I was looking forward to exploring, and I'm not sure if that lack of exploration is present in the full version.

I can't wait to play the full version of this project. It's one of my favorite mapsets I've played so far this year!
Machalite

Post by Machalite »

I had a bug in map two. When I tried using the elevator after opening that door el zee mentioned, the operating switches would just send it down further where it isn't supposed to go, rather than back up.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... 63916.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26 ... 65004.jpg/

EDIT: I figured out what happened. I must have pressed the switch without having noticed the elevator already triggered by passing over a linedef onto it for the first time. If you press a switch while the elevator is moving down it screws it up, and it can be repeated endlessly. The switches need to be made inoperable until the elevator is stopped, if it's possible with that setup.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

I played this the whole way through yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Level design is top-notch (layout-wise, it's the right sort of balance between linearity and non-linearity for me) and the detail is excellent. The palette, cutscenes and atmosphere give this project a sort of Zen Dynamics expansion pack vibe. Friggin' brilliant. :D

MAP02's music got on my nerves a bit, though.

And GZDoom hung when I beat the final boss. That was... slightly annoying. :?
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

In Map02 there was a bug with the elevator, it kept going down and down to a never ending pit.
I'll Edit my post in a second the pictures are still uploading.
Spoiler:
This seemed to occur where i was lost in the map, i went back down there to see if i could do something there still, but while wanting to go up, the elevator kept going down and down and then randomly halfway back up, and then down again.

Return to “Levels”