Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Re: Winter's Fury: 3 Map Demo Released!

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just played it! Awesome work so far, can't wait for part 2 :)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

This has got to be the best mapset I've played since Zen Dynamics.

I've only had a few problems with the gameplay:
- Ammo is generally hidden out of sight. I regularly needed to backtrack and find more.
- IMO, there isn't quite enough health. Might be because my computer can barely run this, though.

Keep up the good work!
Koresiarch

Post by Koresiarch »

I think I found a bug here. When you shoot in this specific zone, various TeleportFog are spawned.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

I think you may want to update the your OP in this thread to include the DL link to the demo, for convenience sake.

I'd test this right now, but it's too late for me to do so atm. Testing tomorrow.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Koresiarch wrote:I think I found a bug here. When you shoot in this specific zone, various TeleportFog are spawned.
This can be fixed by adding the +NOTELEPORT flag to your bullet spark actors.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

It looks great, but it seems really tight on ammo. I ran out of ammo a lot on the various huge fights you keep throwing at me. Also it would be nice if those really short mini cutscenes could be disabled or something. you could still show the effect without the cutscene. :/
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

perfectpitchrob wrote:I really enjoyed how this turned out. The whole atmosphere, and overall flow of the levels really was nicely designed. The starting areas of map 3 helped set up a perfect atmosphere for the boss battle. I also appreciated certain elements like having each level connect to the next and being able to see inaccessible areas of future levels/areas already visited in past levels.

One question I had, is map 3 going to end suddenly like that for the final release? There was a huge outdoor cavern at the end that I was looking forward to exploring, and I'm not sure if that lack of exploration is present in the full version.

I can't wait to play the full version of this project. It's one of my favorite mapsets I've played so far this year!
Thank you!
The Ice area at the end of MAP03 simply sets up the start of part 2. Because I love cliffhangers. :wub:
So yes, that area will be in MAP04.
Machalite wrote:I had a bug in map two. When I tried using the elevator after opening that door el zee mentioned, the operating switches would just send it down further where it isn't supposed to go, rather than back up.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... 63916.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26 ... 65004.jpg/

EDIT: I figured out what happened. I must have pressed the switch without having noticed the elevator already triggered by passing over a linedef onto it for the first time. If you press a switch while the elevator is moving down it screws it up, and it can be repeated endlessly. The switches need to be made inoperable until the elevator is stopped, if it's possible with that setup.
Hah, I can't believe this never happened to me in the millions of times I tested. :P
This one will be fixed for sure, thank you and everyone else who pointed it out!
Jimmy wrote:I played this the whole way through yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Level design is top-notch (layout-wise, it's the right sort of balance between linearity and non-linearity for me) and the detail is excellent. The palette, cutscenes and atmosphere give this project a sort of Zen Dynamics expansion pack vibe. Friggin' brilliant. :D

MAP02's music got on my nerves a bit, though.

And GZDoom hung when I beat the final boss. That was... slightly annoying. :?
Well, I guess the music problem is a bit of an opinionated thing. I suppose if it really gets annoying, you could turn down all the music volume in the sound options and crank up your own midi's. :P
Although I am not sure why GZDoom crashed at the end of the boss fight. It may be a lag related issue, or something else. Have you tried finishing the boss again?
Tormentor667 wrote:Just played it! Awesome work so far, can't wait for part 2 :)
Your comments are most appreciated. On the note of Part 2, most of it is actually already done, but I will be using feedback from this release (Cramped rooms, Too many doors, etc.) to update some areas in this part and some in the next. If I was to give an ETA, it would have to be when it's done. :lol:
ChronoSeth wrote:This has got to be the best mapset I've played since Zen Dynamics.

I've only had a few problems with the gameplay:
- Ammo is generally hidden out of sight. I regularly needed to backtrack and find more.
- IMO, there isn't quite enough health. Might be because my computer can barely run this, though.

Keep up the good work!
Ah, more of the Zen Vibe coming back to people. :P
Hmmm, I always enjoyed shoving the ammo and supplies in small caves and such, without much consideration. I should probably try to make it a little more obvious, or at least place less ammo in these places and more in the obvious ones. Possibly the health issue could be real though, but there seems to be more pressing matters about tight ammo. I will wait to see if anyone else really has problems with health. Thank you very much for your help!
wildweasel wrote:
Koresiarch wrote:I think I found a bug here. When you shoot in this specific zone, various TeleportFog are spawned.
This can be fixed by adding the +NOTELEPORT flag to your bullet spark actors.
Ah excellent, my bugs are fixing themselves! :P
Doomhuntress wrote:I think you may want to update the your OP in this thread to include the DL link to the demo, for convenience sake.

I'd test this right now, but it's too late for me to do so atm. Testing tomorrow.
Good Idea, I'll do that now.
BlazingPhoenix wrote:It looks great, but it seems really tight on ammo. I ran out of ammo a lot on the various huge fights you keep throwing at me. Also it would be nice if those really short mini cutscenes could be disabled or something. you could still show the effect without the cutscene. :/
Yes, ammo amounts are a bit limited. Normally I keep up with it at a varied pace, but maybe that's because I never miss a single bit of it. :P
However, ammo changes are something I will be considering, I may simply add in some more and crank up the ammo factor on harder difficulties a tad. Thank you for your input there!
On the case of the cut scenes, I have now made most of the in game ones so that you do not swap to another camera, and allow you to keep playing throughout the duration. Dialogue ones (Talking to Markus and Private Steel) have remained intact. I hope this fixes most of the game play interruption throughout the levels.

On the subject of game play, I have started to remake a bunch of the rooms from MAP01 and extend on them some more, making them less cramped and less dependant on door-open door-close combat. :P
Here's a comparison:

Before
Spoiler:
After
Spoiler:
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

I actually liked the cutscenes, they were nicely done in my opinion.
+ The gameplay was also great, except for the crampy spots like the boss fight, because of it being so big and the attacks going so wide, it was hard to avoid them, and another problem was the medkits, it would be usefull if there would spawn more there, considering all the monsters spawning in after a while, a Megasphere isn't truly that helpfull ;o.
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

I've played the demo and i love it dude!
The winter environment is awesome and feel a real cold sense! These exterior areas are my preferred parts in the maps.
Level details are really nice and the gameplay is easy and cool, but i need to tell i expect more creepy/horror/exploration style after see the intro with the marine squad and the frozen demon watcher (i love this moment!)
Tell me if you want some help in level design or something, i really love this project :D
printz

Post by printz »

Bug detected in the second(?) map: this elevator goes down instead of up, revealing HOM and blocking you in:

http://i.imgur.com/UI9Nb.jpg
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

printz wrote:Bug detected in the second(?) map: this elevator goes down instead of up, revealing HOM and blocking you in:

Another person and me already reported that :P.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

though its not really much of a problem, that pistol sprite is god ugly
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

printz wrote:Bug detected in the second(?) map: this elevator goes down instead of up, revealing HOM and blocking you in:

That's not a bug.... That's the secret elevator that takes you to a super detailed illusio-pit.
Pedro vc

Post by Pedro vc »

The level design is very impressive, good job on this!
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

I totally loved this wad, from the first to the last second of it!
Here's my opinion:
*Some cutscenes don't work, they tell you to press the use key to continue but it gets stuck.
*Maps lack ammo and some rooms are too small to fight, but i see that you're already fixing that ;D
*the pistol sprite needs to be improved,try to add more colours and make it more smooth!
*The ending boss was a bit too hard,i think you should make that it spawns less enemies, it becomes really difficult to dodge all the projectiles and the megasphere doesn't help much....

The rest, is a-we-so-me! I expecially love the double barrel shotgun, it's sooooooo smooth

Return to “Levels”