Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ichor

Re: Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

Post by Ichor »

Ok, I've either fixed or made a workaround for those bugs, along with some others.

Update
  • Reduced the time stop duration a bit.
  • Moved the enemies from outside of map 1 exit, and removed that one in the market.
  • The Staff of D'Sparil now only summons one skull wizard at a time. If you try to summon another one, the previous one will die. It can still summon any number of disciples. Also, they both have a time limit on how long they are active. The skull wizard will last longer than the disciples since there can only be one of them at a time.
  • Greatly reduced the mana usage for the Staff summonings.
  • Added -COUNTKILL to those wendigos that are summoned by the frost lich.
  • The market scripts of the first two hubs have been sped up considerably.
  • There are now fewer artifacts in the maps.
  • The disc of repulsion has been removed from the first two markets, but not the Emporium (hub 3 market). They can now be dropped by enemies though. They were supposed to already, but the item name was misspelled.
  • Centaurs will now drop flechettes, but not as often as the slaughtaurs.
  • Fixed the lighting bugs from all bookshelf message spots.
  • Increased the flechette's range and slightly increased damage.
  • Removed that duplicate .png file (not sure how it got in there in the first place).
  • Added Heretic pods (poison effect)
  • Added NoiseAlert to many scripts that summon monsters so that they won't sit there waiting for the player to attack something.
  • The door to D'Sparil's tomb now opens like a normal door, as does the doors in map 13 that were once tied to the clerics .
  • Added +DONTRIP to D'Sparil (makes a big difference with those magma serpents).
  • Increased mana usage slightly of the crossbow alt-fire.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Ichor wrote:Ok, I've either fixed or made a workaround for those bugs, along with some others.

Update
Nice!Can't wait to try it out!Does it also have new levels,and if not,when can we expect them?
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

KILLER2 wrote:
Ichor wrote:Ok, I've either fixed or made a workaround for those bugs, along with some others.

Update
Nice!Can't wait to try it out!Does it also have new levels,and if not,when can we expect them?
I'll start adding new stuff soon. I just wanted to fix some bugs first.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Fighter run completed (before the update), here's some thoughts:

Weapons: I'm not sure of what the design of the character's arsenal is meant to be, but the fighter feels just like another ranged class as opposed to a melee-orientated one. There's no need whatsoever to use melee attacks (apart from smashing stuff with the unnatural but fun altfire fist) until Quietus is obtained, given that the ranged altfire of the axe does the same damage as a melee hit. The mindblower doesn't feel like a fighter weapon at all and I never used the hammer altfire, as it wasn't really needed. The dragon claw was used in Necrosis as a fighter weapon, but it worked there due to it being somewhat inefficient compared to the axe (so you had a choice between cheap melee hits and expensive ranged hits for blue mana) whereas here it just seems OP...especially for a melee-orientated class. (sniping is rather easy for example)

It was a good spread of weapons though with most of the ranged options getting used at some point (like the cleric), but I feel that the ranged attacks should cost more mana (I had virtually no shortages and the fighter should be the least efficient with magic IMO) and there should be more melee options with incentives to use them (eg. more powerful than ranged).

Monsters: Some more thoughts here...I like the big ettins, nice to see someone making them dangerous for once (and throwing their maces had to happen really). The player bosses (who's armour drops have no gravity btw), I'm assuming you're using them as tougher normal mobs rather than weaker bosses? If so, would it be an idea to have a few versions wielding different weapons (like the skaarj in Unreal) and maybe different coloured belts/cloaks/robes? Red stalkers for the blood pools would be neat too. Other than that, I can't really fault the beastiary so far.

Overall the fighter doesn't really feel like a fighter, but ignoring that fact/opinion it still works well as a player class.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Perhaps make the Fighter have a lower mana capacity than the other classes? 100 as opposed to 200.
ZedSlayer

Post by ZedSlayer »

In map08 I'm stuck in the room with one of the gems where taking the gem lowers a switch, I've killed all the monsters in the room and can't find a way out.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

I think I know what room you're talking about, and I think I know what the problem is. When you pick up the gem (or a porkalator if there's no gem there), one of the monsters that appears is a frost lich, which you must kill to open the doors. However, it doesn't appear on easy skill, so there's no chance to open the doors. Since I haven't played on easy in such a long time, this went unnoticed (derp). I'll fix that in the next update.

In the meantime, open the console and type "puke 9" to run the door opening script.
ZedSlayer

Post by ZedSlayer »

Ah yes, I'd play on medium but it keeps kicking my ass, hell, even skill 1 I get overwhelmed.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Heh, yeah I still need to go back and rebalance the skill levels.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Ichor wrote:Heh, yeah I still need to go back and rebalance the skill levels.
Just don't hamper with the hard one too much,or if you do,make it harder.I didn't finish it because I lost interest,but I gotta say,if it was anything,it was too easy.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

This is AWESOME! the only thing that sucked was the dsparil battle because i was locked in the room. i had to noclip out. other than that this mod is the bees tits
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

You should have been able to leave with no problems. Picking up that horn key would have lowered the walls and opened up the teleporter.
Wade009

Post by Wade009 »

Hello such friend, I am very well done this mod, you have no idea as I waited for the moment it will be transformed the Jhexen to GzDoom, ejeje, just edit the PK3, by the music of ICEP, I used to listen to the FF Mystic Quest (ICE Dengerous pyramid), well, a greeting,
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Well, i managed to get to korax city and... its unfinished :( looks nice and all though; im sure you got it all planned at this point.

Constructive Criticism

Maps:

Overall, maps are awesome, but there are certainly some things that bother me. i feel like the maps seem to have a main hall - cathedral - library format. some of the levels seem to run together. it would be nice with some different maps mixed in between at least. all the maps i've seen are quite aesthetically pleasing though, and have fairly good gameplay. could use some more puzzles and switch hunting.
though monsters are certainly more tough, and take alot more mana to kill.

Classes: i feel alot more squishy in this mod. generally things are harder.

fighter: i can see why you have added more ranged since you die much easier now, but it doesn't feel right just spamming my ranged attacks

cleric: overall, fairly good.

mage: the ice spell sucks. it really doesnt kill anything anymore, and the secondary ends up being my primary. too bad the blast radius is too small so it does not really do alot of much except to the one target. charge spell is good... loric heart is cheaper, and kills about as fast :/

overall, a really solid game thats a fun time.
Wade009

Post by Wade009 »

tells the user what doomer1, it is true, I remember Jdoom version was not so difficult, even played it on Hard mode (in the case of Priest Cleric), and could keep playing, and now in this new version, medium skill game mode 3, and kill me with about 3 to 4 shots fireball of those irksome ghost out of the ground, that if it's uncomfortable and the power of Mage, FROST, should be like the Jdoom version was more efficient, a greeting

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”