Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lars2500

Re: Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

Post by Lars2500 »

wolfman wrote:DRDteam was the new link, but everything from drdteam.org is currently being transferred to MancuNET.

Alternate link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5475us4m9l50cjn
Oh, I see. Thanks anyway!
Cole89

Post by Cole89 »

hello . i'm sorry, I need help with carnage galore!
first of all, I played this great mod (Carnage Galore) 5 or 6 years ago on doomsday and it was amazing !!! i was looking forward an update and this one is very good thanks !
I have a few question; is that one in the first post the latest version (and also Moddb one)? i see that in page 4 you posted an update (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=45), wich , for example, let you summon only one skull wizard at a time , and I notice that this version I downloaded is still summoning lots of them.. the link you provided for the update has expired , is this the latest one or do I need that update?

PS: i can't insert the book in map 01 , the library is already full and doesn't let me insert it.. even not where is more bright and i recieve the message :(

thanks
pzkpfwiv

Post by pzkpfwiv »

First off, I just want to say this mod is one of the most enjoyable and significant mods to any one game that I've ever played... and that's quite a few.
There aren't many out there that give Hexen such a royal treatment...

Alas, I'm encountering a bug very early in the game that is making it impossible to continue.
When I leave the first town via the exit out of the church-type structure (with the two doors that open to it after you kill the first skull wizard in the library) and then re-enter, the level is reset, including all enemies and flags, so the two doors that separate the building from the rest of town are closed again and I'm stuck.

Ichor, hopefully you'll see this as I guess I don't have enough posts to PM you about it directly.
Seriously though, fantastic job. I really hope you can help me get this resolved so I can enjoy the rest of your hard work!
If it helps, I'm playing through with the mage on difficulty 4/5 (whatever it's called); running it on GZDoom g1.8.2.

Thanks in advance!!!
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I noticed that a finished version of this mod was uploaded to MODDB and I decided to try it out, since I never actually beat this mod. I don't know if this is still being worked on, or if anyone will even see this post since the topic is old. However, I should inform people that there is a game-breaking glitch in the first hub.

On the map "Town of Rrducai," there is no place to insert the Daemon Codex in the library. I have searched and attempted to activate every single shelf on both sides, but nothing happens. Based on a video I saw of this, the correct shelf is supposed to be the northeastern most one, but it can't be activated in my game. This means I'm trapped inside the library, and I can only get out using NOCLIP. (By trial and error I did discover that the script code is PUKE 19 to open the stuck door.)

I have also noticed that nearly all of the readable books are blank, as they say "text goes here" instead of containing the correct message.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

It's not a finished version.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:It's not a finished version.
Oh, I didn't realize. Are the hub maps at least complete? I remember playing this years ago when hub 2 had just been released, and was disappointed that I just ended up in Heresiarch's Seminary after beating it.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

The latest version I have is with 2 maps in the 3rd hub - the cathedral (complete but one area inaccessible without cheats) and the city (structurally complete but not much in it).
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Has it really been this long? Time sure flies when you're busy with real life and can't do much with this project for a few years.

Anyway, I did manage to find some time and now I made an update with quite a few changes.
  • A few of those book texts "Text goes here" have had text added. A lot of them have been removed though, because it seemed to be a bit extraneous and unnecessary.
  • Changed those lame 3D type bridges into real 3D bridges. Also, a few slopes were added here and there.
  • Removed vorpal blade and the other similar weapons in the first slot. At least for now. I may add them back later on. They wouldn't have been available until later on anyway.
  • Added a sixth difficulty and adjusted the other difficulties.
  • Added an enemy health bar with graphics partially borrowed from Wrath of Cronos. Normal enemies will be in red, bosses in violet, and friendly monsters in green.
  • Replaced the disc of repulsion with the malison scroll, which will curse any enemy within range.
  • Replaced the flechette with the potion of freezing, which will explode when an enemy gets too close. This will be far more useful than the flechette, which explode after a short time regardless.
  • Fixed a ton of bugs
Best if used with GZdoom g2.4.0.

Now that all of that's done, I might start working on maps again.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

And now there's some malison scroll effects for the duration. It was tough trying to get it to disappear once certain enemies died, but I think it works well enough.
Gez

Post by Gez »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/malison

I learned a word today.

Gonna write the wacky misadventures of Alison Malison, apprentice curse-witch.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

After quite a bit of work and headaches, I have readded those three weapons I took out earlier. The main problem I had before was coming up with ideas for them all, with the cleric's weapon being the one I was stumped on the most. Now it's done, along with the others (the mage's weapon still needs some tweaking and polishing though). These three weapons will be in slot 1, and because of that, they will not use ammo (in the conventional sense anyway). However, the Tome of Power will not affect them.

The fighter's weapon is the vorpal blade. To charge it, it needs blood, and with every hit on a blood-shedding enemy will give it some power. After a certain amount (10%), you can use it to boost yourself and its damage, or you could wait until it's fully charged for maximum effect.

The cleric's weapon is the redeemer's hand. It looks like the scepter of souls, but it works differently. It will collect souls for each enemy killed (minus a few types). You will gain a small amount of health from every soul collected. You can then use those souls to explode corpses on the ground. Point it at a corpse and press the alt-fire to set one off, doing massive damage to anything around it. It works exactly like it does in Diablo 2, with the starting health of the enemy determining the damage of the explosion. The stronger the enemy that died, the stronger the explosion will be.

The mage's weapon is the totem staff. It can be charged by killing most things. When you have enough, it will create a frightful aura around you, scaring away monsters for a time. Higher charge levels would allow you to drain the health of enemies.

Here's a video of the biggest chore of the three:

Meanwhile, the maps are coming along and I've fixed some bugs. Most of them were minor, but annoying. One somewhat major change is that armors you purchase at markets will now be on a rotating basis instead of random. For instance, you'd buy the mesh armor, then the amulet spawns in. Then the falcon shield is next, and finally the platinum helmet. After that, it's the armor again and it repeats. I always got annoyed by how the same armor appears after you just bought one, especially if that one was the weakest for that class.

Another nuisance is that you had to buy the second weapon (frost shards, etc.) in map 1. This was especially annoying because of that chaos serpent in there. Now those weapons have been moved to a spot outside of the store, allowing you to pick it up right away, and it effectively gives you a free coin.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Yes, I'm still working on this. The citadel has turned out to be a bit of a chore to make, mostly in coming up with good ideas for the last area or two, though it has been fun to make at times. Once that's done, the rest of the maps should be easier. There's also going to be a bit of interconnectivity besides the main entrances, so that causing some minor issues. As well as deciding where to put the puzzle switches/items and the secrets and figuring out the logical progression in the map. Enemy placement is actually rather fun. There's lots of options to use now as opposed to the first hub, where I was limited somewhat. Anyway...

List of changes:
  • Added the foetid flask, which spawns a poison pod for you to push around and shoot. They're kind of like the cleric's flechette, except you control (mostly) when they explode. It's also useful for blocking enemies for a time and even to jump on.
  • Added the full armor, a rare item which instantly gives all armors, including the boost you would normally get from the dragonskin bracers. So picking one up would give 20 armor for the fighter, 18 for the cleric, and 16 for the mage.
  • Changed the yorick's skull script for map 1 so that once you get the skull from the store, you won't be able to leave the map until you pick up the rusted key. This is to make sure that you somehow don't end up with a skull when you leave the hub, since there might be another yorick's statue later on. Also, the main objective in this case is the rusted key, and it would be a shame if you forgot it.
  • Added a portal from map 1 back to 5, which opens once you pick up the rusted key. You can still exit map 1 normally and get a secret in map 2, but now you're not forced to do so.
  • Removed a few redundant or unnecessary messages.
  • Improved the glyph explosion effect. The glyph also blinks yellow or red depending on who set it. Anything that steps into the light will trigger the glyph.
  • The wendigo is now a lot more brutal. However, those wendigos spawned from the frost lich are the same as always.
  • All glowing green books now have actual text.
  • Fixed a glitch that went unnoticed for many years. If the gem puzzle in map 8 required both sapphire and diamond planets, using the sapphire planet first would not change the planet texture to show that it had been placed.
  • D'Sparil now has a limit to the amount of disciples and skull wizard he can have active at one time. Once he reaches his limit, no more will be summoned until some of them die. Instead, he will default to his other attacks.
  • D'Sparil's staff shot wasn't triggering projectile impact lines (a flag leftover from the inherited actor).
  • Another bug that went unnoticed for while was that D'Sparil's dead body was somehow disappearing during the ghostly D'Sparil battle. Originally, the body was supposed to remain throughout the battle, and then when the ghost was defeated, the gem would shatter and the body would burst into fireballs. Now it works normally again. This bug also had the potential to break the actual script. I discovered this by putting a bunch of freezing potions around the body (since that's where the ghost rises). The instant the gem was placed, they exploded and froze the actual body, preventing the ghost from rising and halting all of the scripts.
  • Made an adjustment to the map 3 puzzle so the library door shuts and remains closed once you pick up the swamp key, and then reopens once you hit the switch. This is to eliminate any confusion should you decide to leave the map without hitting the puzzle switch first.
  • Monsters are now faster in skill 6. Not quite as fast as if you used -fast, but they also don't stand still and continually shoot. This means the monsters will move around a lot more, making them harder to hit in most cases. Because of this and the slightly increased health of some monsters, mana amounts have been slightly increased for skill 6. You get 20 instead of 15 small mana, 60 instead of 50 large mana, 25 instead of 20 combined mana, and 75 instead of 60 large combined mana.
  • The meteor from the powered up crossbow alt-fire now always spawns on the ceiling instead of at the point of impact.
  • Fixed some texture issues leftover from the moving of the textures from a .wad to a .pk3 directory.
  • Made a few balancing adjustments to some weapons.
  • Added a new enemy. You should start seeing the little pests somewhere in the second hub.
  • Added some colored sector fog to some parts of a few maps, and in all of map 10.
  • The hold spell now shoots out 5 projectiles instead of 1, much like the porkelator.
  • The primary fire of all slot 4 weapons, except D'Sparil's Staff, now uses a little less mana.
  • The melee attack of Timon's Axe now uses 3 mana instead of 2, but the damage has been increased.
  • Made some adjustments to maps 2, 6, and 10, smoothing out a lot of the area and removing some pointless jumping, especially in map 6.
  • The torch (artifact) light now extends to a greater distance. It also doesn't cause massive slowdown if you use a time stop when the torch is active.
  • The mage's sickle attack has been greatly improved, and it looks a lot smoother now.
  • D'Sparil's staff alt-fire now summons two disciples in the same manner as D'Sparil does. It will also have the same summon limit. If you try to summon too many, others will die.
  • Improved the Emerald Gate effect (that green thing in map 10).
  • Made some minor changes to the maulotaur battle, mainly removing a lot of the obstacles like stalagmites and rocks and things.
  • And of course the bug fixes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kj72d0yosmwrv3/cg3_ch2.pk3?dl=0
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Any chance you can port the original Carnage Galore3 from JHexen to Gzdoom, pretty please? I really want the old version of the game, at least in that one the sophire wand didn't consume ammunition and had an sweet powered up mode when used tome of power.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

This is the one converted from JHexen. When that was done, I had to make some changes and improvements. As for the sapphire wand, I changed it for the balance and to actually make it more effective since it was moved to slot 2. I made the sapphire wand more powerful to compensate for the fact that it uses ammo now. I actually rather like it the way it is now, since it's a great sniping weapon and the alt-fire deals with those centaur types far more effectively than the wand ever did back then or in original Hexen. Also, the JHexen version didn't have alt-fires on any of the weapons either and those gargoyles were downright ugly.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Ichor wrote:This is the one converted from JHexen. When that was done, I had to make some changes and improvements. As for the sapphire wand, I changed it for the balance and to actually make it more effective since it was moved to slot 2. I made the sapphire wand more powerful to compensate for the fact that it uses ammo now. I actually rather like it the way it is now, since it's a great sniping weapon and the alt-fire deals with those centaur types far more effectively than the wand ever did back then or in original Hexen. Also, the JHexen version didn't have alt-fires on any of the weapons either and those gargoyles were downright ugly.
I still outright prefer the vanila version of Carnage Galore 3 that was made for JHexen, the primary reason is that saphire wand uses ammo, which is I'm absolutely fully against. Some of the vanila Carnage Galora 3 attacks has been changed\removed too. :(

I've played this version (beta 2 or beta 1, can't remember) a few years ago and to be honest I didn't like it. Mage become fully ammo dependant, as there was not a single ranged magical weapon that did not require finite artificial maps resources, which completely destroyed any interest in picking that class as being fully reliant on maps pickups kills the core point of being the Mage; the cleric dude felt insanely overpowered, basically just a better version of mage with not a single drawback. I mean, what's the point of picking mage when cleric is overall better: having faster speed, better armor and yet having even superiour magic than mage, having weapons that clean almost the whole of map as you click single button once? Like, literally, every way around cleric is just better than mage at everything.

I wouldn't mind disbalance between classes if Mage at least had his infinite ammo ranged magical weapon, just like in Vanila Hexen where pretty much he was inferiour than other classes pretty much in everything, but at least he had his unique thing that made him what it is, a person wise and skillfull enough to reject the material values of the physical world and incarnate the pure energy from within with the power of clean mind in to ballistic physical projective that is all he trully need, like true Magical creature he is. I rather it stay weak yet I could use it any time I wish even just to shoot around mindlessly than strong but consuing ammo, especially when the other slot 2 weapons, of all classes, are overall better than it anyway. Besides, if I remember it correct, it didn't even pierce through enemies in whatever beta I was playing, making it bad even as railgun.

But oh well, I was scared that you would deny my view on things as to why having saphire wand to be ammo dependant is a bad idea and is unfun to have when playing as mage, which is understable as any view on things are subjective, that's why I was asking for original Carnage Galore 3 that was made for JHexen. To be fair, the original felt the most balanced and the most fair between classes, and most important - saphire wand didn't used any ammunition. JHexen is quite limited port and quite very clumsy when compared to GZDoom that doesn't support multiplayer neither, that's the main reason I asked for a port of it. I understand that porting original version precisely for GZDoom would be a tiresome experience (not sure to be honest), but I'd appreciate a lot if you could give me the original file that work only for JHexen too. Unfortunatelly, no matter where I looked, I couldn't find the original version of your mod, and I seems lost the file too. :c If asking for a porting is too much, I'd thank you a lot for providing me the old file as well.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”