Brütal Doom v0.18

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Brütal Doom v0.16 - Cruelty Bonus!

Post by Woolie Wool »

Zombieguy wrote:Actually, I love Brutal Doom. But however, I can see why some people dislike it so much. It's because it's like a drug. Once you start playing, there's a chance you'll never play plain old Doom in software mode ever again. I really do enjoy Brutal Doom, but I try not to play it too much. I don't want the mod to spoil me. I want to be able to play Doom without Brutal Doom, and have the ability to overcome my craving for bloodshed and awesomeness.

Also there's the issue of the sheer degree of violence. It's gone from over-the-top to the point of absurdity in previous versions to going past even that to become frankly disturbing with the addition of "cruelty bonuses". I mean, sure they're demons, but I'm not comfortable with the game encouraging me to torture them like a psychopathic serial killer.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

my only real problem with brutal doom (and it isn't even a problem with the mod itself) is that SOME PEOPLE (you know who you are) insist that every single other mod be played with it/made compatible with it
it's fun and all but it really doesn't need to be combined with everything.

that being said, brutal chex quest would be the most hilariously inappropriate thing ever

"oh no the flemoids are invading! we must zorch them back to their home dimension! because this is a child-friendly FPS!"
*SUDDENLY, ROID-RAGING CHEX WARRIOR BURSTS THROUGH THE WALL, KOOL-AID-MAN-STYLE*
"RIP AND TEAR!"
*chex people watch in horror as our protagonist violently butchers every flemoid in sight, splattering goo everywhere*
"I'VE GOT A SPOON FULL OF GELATIN AND A HEAD FULL OF MAD!"

*meanwhile, on the meteor ship, lord snotfolus watches on a computer screen. he is absolutely terrified.*
"aw hell naw. screw this shit i'm going home."
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

^ Epic, I'd play that.

About the other previous 5 posts, the sounds were changed up a bit a while back, and then everyone got all pissy about it.
BoraxKid

Post by BoraxKid »

Hey do you know if Ver 0.17 comes out will have an add on for both the Zombieman's and Doom Guy's new voice?
southpark2010

Post by southpark2010 »

BoraxKid wrote:Hey do you know if Ver 0.17 comes out will have an add on for both the Zombieman's and Doom Guy's new voice?
Don't you mean Doomguy's old voice? I think there should be an add-on for the Doom3 Zombie sounds since I prefer them.
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

from what i hear the doomguys pain grunts are back to the old. (thanks)
now lets see if the rifle's ear shattering volume is also fixed. (easy to do by myself if it isnt tough)
BoraxKid

Post by BoraxKid »

southpark2010 wrote:
BoraxKid wrote:Hey do you know if Ver 0.17 comes out will have an add on for both the Zombieman's and Doom Guy's new voice?
Don't you mean Doomguy's old voice? I think there should be an add-on for the Doom3 Zombie sounds since I prefer them.
Me too, and I do prefer the Doomguy's new voice when he grunts everytime you get hurt. I can barely hear his old voice.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

BoraxKid wrote: Me too, and I do prefer the Doomguy's new voice when he grunts everytime you get hurt. I can barely hear his old voice.
Do you hear that weeping sound? That's the sound of every audio engineer in the world crying at what you just said.
BoraxKid

Post by BoraxKid »

TheDarkArchon wrote:
BoraxKid wrote: Me too, and I do prefer the Doomguy's new voice when he grunts everytime you get hurt. I can barely hear his old voice.
Do you hear that weeping sound? That's the sound of every audio engineer in the world crying at what you just said.
¬­­­_¬
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

TheDarkArchon wrote:
hehe. It wouldnt be that bad if the volume were half of what it is, i think.
must be said that the other voicework for the DOOMGUY is really good, tough.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Guys, I need an opinion here.
Recently, I started to find the shotgun reloading time too long. It's specially stressful to reload when you are fighting a horde of enemies, and sometimes you have to fire one round, reload, fire one round again.

So, I got an idea. What about changing the ammo feeding system of the shotgun to use clips? Just one reload, and all ammo is back in. Just like the Serious Sam 3 shotgun.
Also, to prevent this reload system from making the shotgun overpower the SSG, I'm gonna double minimum range of the SSG's bonus damage dealt by point-blank shots. And of course, reloading the shotgun clip will take much longer than it takes to reload the rifle. Something like 4 or 5 seconds.

What do you have to say about this?
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

sounds good to me.
what sounds even better is that those god damn imps finally take less often 2 shots from the shotgun.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Well, i think reloading is fine as it is now and no one has complained as far as i know. When facing hordes you can just switch to another weapon. And i don't like the idea of the clip, this could be a game killer. However in resident evil the loading animation was played twice to represent you putting 8 shells in instead of two and that worked well, but that was a very different game.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

mckracken wrote:what sounds even better is that those god damn imps finally take less often 2 shots from the shotgun.
To need 2 shotgun shots to kill an imp, you either must be trying to shoot them 30 meters away, or either missing the shots.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd "simplify" the reload, like in FEAR. Weapon drops down a bit to hide the actual movement, play some clicky noises (layer a bunch of them together, so it's unclear how many shells are being inserted), make the weapon dance around a bit, then raise it back up and pump.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”