Brütal Doom v0.18

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Brütal Doom v0.17: Brutal Halloween Edition

Post by wildweasel »

CorSair wrote:I got some something annoying going on when trying to load a game.
Game ends and console opens, with only explanation being: "Expected a name but got something else."
I decided to play cchest2.wad with this, and then trying load brutalv017gzdoom, janitormode and then the weaponpack. Janitormode and weaponpack was switched before current loadout. I updated GZDoom, even.
Does someone get same problem?
Same problem here, using cchest4, brutalv017gzdoom and the arsenal addon. Haven't tested without the arsenal (or the maps) but I get a feeling the arsenal may be the culprit, but I have no idea what would have changed that would be breaking saved games like that.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

I think I found reason for my problem...

Backpack is the origin of this bug. Tested this, 100% sure.
plus, you get your dual guns via backpack, and there's also unused ammo, when checking alt HUD on. Don't know if these are any significance.
Cream-of-Plenty

Post by Cream-of-Plenty »

Like WildWeasel and a few others have indicated, there are some issues with the current set of reload sounds--specifically, some weapons don't have any audio. Also, some of the "firing" audio is unusually loud, especially on the AK47, Pistol, and Doom 3 chaingun.

Some of the weapons feel a little too powerful at the moment. I know that the Doom 3 chaingun and M60/MG3 looking machinegun are supposed to be hard-hitting weapons, but they absolutely destroy everything short of a Spider Mastermind. Beyond a slow reload animation (which is still faster than some of the other weapons, like the Steyr Aug) there's not even a real drawback to them. I tested four WADs (Doom 2, Scythe, Khorus' Speedy Shit, and Jenesis) on Ultra-Violence and found that I was picking up a machine gun pretty early, with enough ammo to clear out most maps in record time. Say goodbye to using any other weapon.

The Rocket Launcher Zombie has always been a terror in every WAD he's shown up in--but he's usually hand-placed. Having him randomly replace an enemy as common as the Shotgun Zombie seems like it's an invitation for balancing issues. Some maps intend for you to survive 15 or 20 Shotgun Zombies, and this becomes a serious problem when there are 12 Shotgun Zombies and 8 Rocket Launcher Zombies.

Definitely a promising start, although I think I'll go back to Brutal Doom v0.17 in the meantime.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Report #2.

This is my feed back on every weapon plus the changes to the MOD that came with them.

1. Pistol(s) - Decent starting weapon, but slightly overpowered. Could use a small damage reduction.

2. Uzi(s) - These are pretty good, I don't see anything that needs tweaking.

3. Pump Shotgun - Overall a decent weapon. However the reloading bothers me, I was never a fan of that 2 shells at once reload style from Doom 3.

4. Double Barrel Shotgun - The damage on this weapon is wierd, it seems like it does 25% less damage from both barrels for the single shot. And the double shot seems a bit too fast on the reloading.

5. Super Shotgun - This weapon is plain out scary, it makes me wonder how Earth lost to Hell... Anyways, once this weapon is picked up, you never look back at the other 2 shotguns. I am not sure how you can really balance this face melter other than tone down the firing speed and damage.

6. Assault Rifle - The perfect automatic precision weapon with a 30 round clip, nothing needs changing here.

7. AK-47 - Good stopping power, could use a tad bit more accuracy.

8. AUG - This weapon sucks (as said before), it doesn't do enough damage to compensate for the long reload time.

9. Chaingun - This weapon is decent, the reload time could be slightly faster though.

10. M60 - This weapon is awesome, all it needs is a faster reload and it's golden.

11. AT4 - This weapon is underpowered for the reload time that it has, it needs more damage to compete with the other launcher.

12. Missile Launcher - Overpowered. It needs to do less damage and the alt fire needs to be changed into a shotgun like blast and not a rapid fire machinegun.

13. Lasergun - This weapon is garbage. It does lousy damage, eats too much ammo per shot, and it doesn't pierce, plus it lags like hell when you hold down the fire button.

14. Plasma Rifle - Something tells me this is far from finished, cus the damage is questionable.

15. BFG9k Pegasus - I pretty much only pull this gun out against Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds, and for everything else in Map 32 in Plutonia. I will have better feed back after this weapon is fixed.

Changes to the MOD/ seen bugs:

1. The Rocket Zombies are a problem, they are spawning quite often and it's a problem on some maps. Plus their rate of spawning enables the player(s) to acquire an AT4 and a surplus of rocket ammo. I recommend that you make him a very rare spawn chance, and remove the weapon drop from him, or enable him to only spawn the way he does now on Brutal difficulty.

2. Shotgun Zombies are sometimes droping 2 sets of shotgun shells that are 2 ammo each.

3. Pistol Zombies need a damage decrease.

4. Weapons in this addon BADLY need a reload cancel function. Kicking/jumping, rolling, offending, firing, and weapon switching should be canceling the reload animation of the weapon and it's not. This causes people to get killed sooo easily and it's beyond irritating. I hope this is remedied soon...

5. Monster Weapons are no longer accessible, but they are still dropping and being picked up.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I think I've found a new bug for the Arsenal, when you rescue a friendly marine, and he dies, picking up his rifle gives you a 15 shot assault rifle, and if you reload it, it'll have 0 ammo and never fire again, and if you switch away from it you won't be able to switch back.
doom_is_great

Post by doom_is_great »

Valherran wrote:Super Shotgun - This weapon is plain out scary, it makes me wonder how Earth lost to Hell
Lol. Yeah, that's a sweet weapon. However, the death animations of the monsters need to reflect the power of the weapon. The Super Shotgun should be turning everything into ragu.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Most of the guns are...really strong, especially the super shotgun. What's your overall plan with the weapons in the end, closer to the original Doom weapons or high powered room-clearers? I don't mind, I just worry cause with the Super Shotgun I could pretty much hold down the trigger and vaporize a room unless it had a boss enemy in it. :P Overall I like what we have to play with so far though, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the weapons.

For the proposed melee weapons, are you going to add in melee-style zombies which wield them? It might add as a good substitute to fill out zombie groups rather than the rocket one who is a bit too common right now as other said.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

A little later than I would have liked in regards to this post. In any case, here's my thoughts based on my time with Brutal Arsenal:

*Fists - They're fists. :P Best used if you've picked up a Berserker pack.
*Handgun(s) - They're okay starting weapons. Underpowered, but that's to be expected.
*Uzi(s) - Once you get these there's really no reason to go back to the pistols. Makes for a great fall back weapon.
*Combat Shotgun - Great all-round weapon. Best used for more precision shots at medium to semi-long range once you have the other shotguns.
*Double Barrel Shotgun - Perfect for close quarter battles.
*Super Shotgun - A very nice suppression weapon. I found that the magazine size and rate of fire balance out its ability to clear a room quickly while also not neglecting the uses of the other shotguns.
*Bullpup - Extremely useful for long range encounters. This is pretty much what I use when I need to snipe baddies from far out.
*Carbine - Nice assault rifle that's good for most combat scenarios.
*AK47 - Same as the Carbine.
*Heavy Machinegun - I found this weapon to be the Bullpup of the two machineguns available. While it doesn't have semi-auto fire like the Bullpup, being able to aim down the sight allows me to pick off medium to semi-long range foes pretty reasonably.
*V2 Chaingun - This is my close-quarters MG. Great for close to medium range combat.
*AT Rocket Launcher - I was pretty disappointed by this weapon, sadly. It has the possibility of becoming a nice sniping/long range rocket launcher.
*Destroyer - Pretty much the only launcher I used out of the two. The rate of fire is nice for suppression.
*Plasma Rifle - I...don't know what to think of this yet. It doesn't behave like the plasma rifle from Doom, but I can't really find a practical use for it, so I end up neglecting it.
*Laser Gun - I was disappointed there was no zoom function for this as an alt-fire. Still, it was fun to use and of the two plasma weapons in slot 8 this was the only one I used.
*Pegasus BFG - Extremely fun weapon to use, powerful and able to rip through all kinds of baddies. At the same time, it's balance out by the reload time and time it takes to bring a magazine from full to empty. It's a nice mix of suppression and stopping power for just about any range.

(Personal) Suggestions:

1. In regards to the weapon slots, I like how there are varying uses for each weapon so that others aren't neglected. Slots 3 and 5 display this perfectly. The other slots are lacking in this regard, sadly (I'm gonna go over individual weapons I think deserve a little more attention). Overall, I think you should keep with this theme with all of the weapon slots so that there's a right weapon for every job.
2. In regards to Slot 1, I feel like the Handgun needs something to distinguish it from the Uzi so that it isn't neglected. Maybe instead of being able to akimbo handguns, instead give it a scope so that it can be used as a back-up sniping weapon?
3. In regards to Slot 4, I feel like there needs to be something that distinguishes the Carbine from the AK47 or vice versa. Maybe give the AK47 more stopping power at the cost of accuracy?
4. In regards to Slot 6, I feel like the damage values for the launchers should be reversed. Since the Destroyer is (from my perspective) more of a suppression, rapid fire launcher, nerf the damage for the individual rockets a bit? Also, the tracking range for the AT Rocket Launcher's scope is rather short. I tried it out on Plutonia's Go 2 It on the Spider Mastermind while I had my back against the wall across from it (if needed I can take a screenshot of where I was standing to test this) and it wasn't tracking it at all. Since the AT Rocket Launcher is more of a sniping launcher, I think the range needs to be increased and the damage increased as well.
5. In regards to Slot 8, I really don't know what to do with the Plasma Rifle. Maybe it's because I'm used to it having an ultra-fast rate of fire in the original whereas this iteration is more of a semi-auto, sniping weapon. I think I'll be able to give better input on this when an updated version is released (especially if said updated version has another Slot 8 weapon I can compare it to).
6. Slot 9 needs a nuke-based weapon because nukes make everything better. :3

Overall Opinion:

I think this has the potential to be a really awesome weapon modification/add-on. I'm already seeing where weapons in a slot have roles to fill that keeps them from being neglected. It reminds me of the Ballistic Weapons mod for UT2004 where (in my opinion) every weapon has a purpose. I think if you continue to play with this theme and expand upon it that it will make for some awesome game play.

Unlike some of the others on here, I wasn't really that perturbed by the Rocket Zombie. If anything, I like the addition as it made me rethink how to handle certain situations. I also felt like its deadliness is balanced out by the fact that it's a weak enemy. I would be concerned about the player getting the AT Rocket Launcher early if it weren't for the fact that, at the moment, it's underpowered and forgettable. As it stands, I don't think there should be any changes to its placement and/or spawn frequency.

I look forward to the next version of the Arsenal as, despite its flaws, the current iteration is lots of fun to use. :)
krokots

Post by krokots »

I have one little suggestion - centered iron sights. I never use crosshair when i play, so it would be great if the weapons that use iron sights had them centered, so you could precisely aim without the need of crosshair.

Damn my post is small in comparison to others
Blox

Post by Blox »

-Ghost- wrote:For the proposed melee weapons, are you going to add in melee-style zombies which wield them? It might add as a good substitute to fill out zombie groups rather than the rocket one who is a bit too common right now as other said.
Well unless I'm reading this wrong, then I'm afraid that monsters can't pick up items.
What you could do - however, is randomly replacing said weapons with zombies that wield them.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

the laser gun sets enemies on fire. no problem there, but it takes a while till they die when they are on fire (as opposed to killing enemies with mancubus cannons in vanilla BD).

also, the demons tend to run away from you while burning and they can cover quite a distance until they drop dead. perhaps they should become even more desperate to kill you in this state?

in general weapons are much too strong, especially the automatic shotgun. double uzi is also too much. the difficulty significantly drops with this mod, unless it's intended.

bugs:

dying in zdoom on some doom1 levels does not restart a level. there is some error about "name requested not found" or similar. i'll try to grab the logs next time i see it.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Blox wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:For the proposed melee weapons, are you going to add in melee-style zombies which wield them? It might add as a good substitute to fill out zombie groups rather than the rocket one who is a bit too common right now as other said.
Well unless I'm reading this wrong, then I'm afraid that monsters can't pick up items.
What you could do - however, is randomly replacing said weapons with zombies that wield them.
Yeah that's what I meant, and then on death they'd have a chance to drop the melee weapon they'd been using.
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

wildweasel wrote:
CorSair wrote:I got some something annoying going on when trying to load a game.
Game ends and console opens, with only explanation being: "Expected a name but got something else."
I decided to play cchest2.wad with this, and then trying load brutalv017gzdoom, janitormode and then the weaponpack. Janitormode and weaponpack was switched before current loadout. I updated GZDoom, even.
Does someone get same problem?
Same problem here, using cchest4, brutalv017gzdoom and the arsenal addon. Haven't tested without the arsenal (or the maps) but I get a feeling the arsenal may be the culprit, but I have no idea what would have changed that would be breaking saved games like that.
I have this problem as well. Really annoying. Started once I began using the arsenal.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Picking the backpack creates the problem, I am 100% certain of it.
Does anyone know where the problem lies between the codes? I tried to find it, but no success...
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

What if instead of replacing actors completely, you have BD zombies drop said weapons but a tiny chance alongside what they normally drop?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”