Brütal Doom v0.18

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
-Ghost-

Re: Brütal Doom v0.18

Post by -Ghost- »

Mantling actually would be kind of cool, except it'd break the majority of maps that don't allow jumping. I only really use crouch/jump in BD to add to my dodging abilities.
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Jumping in Doom games is like eating pizza without bread. It shouldn't be done, at all.
PaskaTykki

Post by PaskaTykki »

Imo jumping make doom alot interesting. In big fight is fun jump over pinky when they gonna surround me. :) I notice when Imp jump toward to me and i manage kill it with time. Imp corpse hurt me.
mallo

Post by mallo »

Ghostbreed wrote:Jumping in Doom games is like eating pizza without bread. It shouldn't be done, at all.
Rather only on vanilla maps. Some need jumping, even Hexen does it!
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

I know. That's why I play on maps that doesn't need jumping, or crouching, to be completed. Hexen is fine however, because the game had jumping in it from vanilla.
But I guess it's a matter of taste.
Binary

Post by Binary »

There's a glitch in Brutal Doom. When you kick a barrel, it make a flesh sound. Just sayin...
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Perhaps you'll hurt your foot so bad it becomes a mess of flesh and blood inside your boot, kicking things harder than bone.
Binary

Post by Binary »

Ghostbreed wrote:Perhaps you'll hurt your foot so bad it becomes a mess of flesh and blood inside your boot, kicking things harder than bone.
Oh, is that so? How cute! Then how come that when you hit the wall it makes a normal noise?
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

You got me bro...
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

Jumping in Doom games is like eating pizza without bread. It shouldn't be done, at all.
I've been playing modern shooters for so long that it's impossible for me not to utilize my jump button :roll: . Besides, I never use it to cheat past sections of a map.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Quadruplesword wrote:
I've been playing modern shooters for so long that it's impossible for me not to utilize my jump button :roll: . Besides, I never use it to cheat past sections of a map.
Same, I try to beat the level legit on standard Doom and remember where I need to go on other mods that have jumping.
SirSavage

Post by SirSavage »

-Ghost- gets it. Carmack always said all their ideas came from someone saying "wouldn't it be cool if you could..."

I just kept thinking. "wouldn't it be cool if you could get hurt and have to limp to cover, or if you ran out of ammo and had to kung fu the last few guys" I think my huge post is the symptom of an over active imagination is all.

I have made it a point to buy and beat on their hardest dificulty every id game up until Doom 3/Quake 4. So when I saw Brutal Doom (v17) thats what I did. (Doom II only because I still had the cd.) So maybe I'm a little "hardcore" in that sense. but I disagree that the hardest difficulties shouldn't be exclusivley difficult. That's why they put easy mode in there.
rrrr_reubs

Post by rrrr_reubs »

No it would not be cool, it would be shit >:(
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

SirSavage wrote:-Ghost- gets it. Carmack always said all their ideas came from someone saying "wouldn't it be cool if you could..."

I just kept thinking. "wouldn't it be cool if you could get hurt and have to limp to cover, or if you ran out of ammo and had to kung fu the last few guys" I think my huge post is the symptom of an over active imagination is all.
It certainly comes across as a wall of "Wouldn't it be cool if...". You try to both encourage the player to get into close combat with fancy new moves where you'd be facing potentially huge damage which extreme penalties, causing the player to want to keep his distance. It also further reinforces the standard shotgun as the weapon of choice, with ranged damage being FAR too preferable to close combat to make the SSG or fisticuffs due to the fact there's much less risk and the loss of mobility when using the minigun would make it also kill its worth.

Meanwhile, fighting game style button inputs would just slow down melee attacks, bearing in mind that keyboard and mouse is going to be the main form of input. This is not going to be a good thing because unlike Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, fights are generally not one-on-ones and the last thing you need when several imps are trying to tear you into ribbons is a move that needs a fireball input or, worse, a charge input. Russian Overkill has melee-combo type things and I rarely find myself using them (Aside from the most simple ones such as the invisible cannon and invisible machine pistol).

Another thing is that a LOT of Doom's gameplay comes around the player being extremely mobile. Slowing the player in a general gameplay mod is never a good idea because you can render maps unplayable. The speed loss at low health was in previous versions of BD and it was near universally hated because it kicked the player while he was down.

For the visor thing, it's just going to serve as an annoying gimmick.

The multiple pickup sprites would be nice, but it's hardly a priority or anything and, contrary to the quote (Mostly used because a) I wanted to use it and b) the post was a wall of unbaked bad ideas), is a sensible thing as there's sprites already for things like the shotgun shells and medkits.

To be fair, most of the last section could potentially work in games that aren't Doom. Except the bizzare weapon limits, which seem to be there for no apparent reason.
I have made it a point to buy and beat on their hardest dificulty every id game up until Doom 3/Quake 4. So when I saw Brutal Doom (v17) thats what I did. (Doom II only because I still had the cd.) So maybe I'm a little "hardcore" in that sense. but I disagree that the hardest difficulties shouldn't be exclusivley difficult. That's why they put easy mode in there.
Increased difficulty generally works better with new mapsets, rather than general gameplay mods. Again, reducing ammo counts can potentially leave a player completely screwed before he starts.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Just for the record: I have plans to improve the melee combat. I have been thinking about something like Brutal HeXen. The player could make a simple combo of left punch, right punch, and then press left punch again to unleash a hook attack that would hit and knockback multiple enemies. Then you could continue the combo by pressing the Kick button to do a kick attack that would deal triple the damage of a normal right punch.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”