Brütal Doom v0.18

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Big C

Re: Brutal Doom v0.8

Post by Big C »

Archvile- the player kicks the Archie in the right knee, it drops down to its knees, then the player delivers a devastating full-force uppercut to the chin, decapitating the Archvile.
I'm sold, as long as Doomguy occasionally yells SHORYUKEN when he does so. :P
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Here is the first 0.9 pre-release beta test. It fixes all grevious bugs from 0.8 (Ammo boxes that doesn't adds bullets, HKs and BoHs insta-killing Cybers and Spiders, massive infight with Fatsos and Arachnotrons, etc.)

There are also some new features, now if you attack an enemy with the chainsaw, its gonna get with blood on it, dismemberments have reduced chance to happen, you can attack enemy corpses (and dismember them too), for those who doesn't likes the fatalities, it can be enabled/disabled via a key binding, you can now see how much ammo is in the gun, you can reload the SSG after firing a single barrel, and you can perform a Fatality in Mancubus.

Also, there is now a regeneration feature that will regenerate 1 health per second if your health is lower than 30, until you can run again. But I'm not sure if I will keep it to the oficial 0.9

Download:
http://www.4shared.com/file/ntU2xLbo/Br ... _Test.html
(Both Skulltag and GZDoom versions are included inside this .zip)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

On the GZDoom version, firing the right barrel alone (I.E first shot after reloading) does not use any ammo.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Pretty good update, keep working on those monster deaths :)

bugs:

- ssg reload glitches sometimes
- plasma gun wont let you shoot unless you reload 100 in. may work if there is backup ammo.
- cacodemon,hell knight, BOH, and generally all the big monsters seem to me to be not nearly as bloody as the zombie, imp, or sergeant. (needeth change)
- no punchdeaths for the hell knight/BOH/Spider/ boss monsters... yet.
- zombie corpse dismemberment is limited
- still no dismemberment for bigger monsters... well, its limited, anyhow.

- still think the bullet weapons are slow.

other than that all, its the mod i load doom up with constantly.
phill447

Post by phill447 »

rocket launcher is a bit of a overkill but the rest is awsome
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Rocket launchers aren't exactly supposed to be weak, Phill. :P
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

The RL is fine as it is. The fact that it gibs everything it kills is one of the reasons I love it so much. And this is coming from the person who prefers SSG over RL.

At any rate, some thing I noticed:

First of all, the HUD. The alternative one for (G)ZDoom is somewhat broken and doesn't show how much ammo you have in... uh, I forgot which, but some weapons doesn't show what you have currently in your magazine. Not to mention the fact that the fullscreen HUD is completely broken and doesn't show any of your ammo.

Secondly, the chainsaw. I found it ridiculous how easy it is to cut people in half with the minigun, yet it doesn't happen half the time with the chainsaw. Sure, it might spew dozens of blood while mauling away at an enemy, but it doesn't feel satisfying when it's just all blood and no limbs or intenstines get's cut out. I think it should be more prone to do so than the minigun. Also, it's kinda weird to see the blood from the chainsaw just vanish into thin air after a set amount of time... also, Cacos and Hell Nobles doesn't make blood stains on the chainsaw.

Thirdly, the Plasma Rifle feels very weak and useless compared to the minigun, as in, the delay after you fire it gives you a huge disadvantage and makes it very unreliable in close quarters because it needs to re-charge. Also, the explosions for the projectiles are quite huge, making it very hard to see when firing in close quarters, effectively making you shoot blind ducks. The alt-fire is also pretty weak, you have to be veeerrrry close to a revenant to kill it with it. It doesn't work good on groups either, as it seems that it's something one should use on singular enemies, which don't work very well, as there are much more potent weapons to kill mid-tier enemies with.

Fourthly, keep the regen system, as it really, really helps on health tight levels. But I wonder, why do you not stop bleeding until you make it to 31, instead of 30?

And that's it for now.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

-chainsaw needs a bit of a buff imo
i mean, with the sheer amount of blood flying around, you'd think more damage would be done.

-the kick's a bit too unwieldy to be useful, as well. i would assume it's meant for those situations where there's an enemy RIGHT THERE IN YOUR FACE but your gun is empty and you don't have time to reload, but most of the time you just end up screwing yourself over by delaying your reload even longer.
if you could find a way to make it so you can reload DURING the kick, that'd be awesome. failing that, the knockback could use an increase, and/or the time between activation and hitting could be shortened a bit.
also, it really should be effected by berserk, if it isn't already.

-i think kneeling zombies should be sent flying by kicks, or at least their severed heads. man that would be satisfying.

-the lost soul fatality is hilariously awesome. do you think you could come up with more "improvised weapon" stuff like that? using enemies (and/or scenery objects) as weapons is always fun. :twisted:

-the ssg should probably be converted to a "proper" loading system like the other weapons, at least for the sake of consistency. also, if you could make it only automatically reload if you try to fire when empty, instead of as soon as you fire your last shot, that'd be great too. would be nice to be able to fire a load, then quickly switch weapons to finish them off. would also make the kick more useful as well; if a full mag takes an enemy down to 1 hp, that'd be an ideal time to just finish them with the kick, but you need to reload first anyway, making that pointless.

-i've noticed that projectile-launching monsters, most notably hell knights, seem to hurt themselves when attacking. some +DONTHURTSHOOTER is in order, i'd say.

All that being said, however, I really enjoy playing with this mod. It's so satisfying to just splatter everything all over the place, and I love mods that make the pistol (or its replacement) still useful after you obtain other weapons. I especially like that the monsters are in that sweet spot of competence and difficulty where they pose a threat even individually, but aren't blatantly overpowered. It also compels me to quote the Doom Comic, which is always fun. :P
...I still do get somewhat nauseous after playing for a while, though. Heh.

edit: holy shit i just got brutalized by a hell knight. that was awesome. (and terrifying)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Ethril wrote:-the lost soul fatality is hilariously awesome. do you think you could come up with more "improvised weapon" stuff like that? using enemies (and/or scenery objects) as weapons is always fun. :twisted:
I have to second this. How awesome would it not be to grab one of those lampposts out of it's socket and start brutalising zombies with it? :twisted:
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Doomhuntress wrote:
Ethril wrote:-the lost soul fatality is hilariously awesome. do you think you could come up with more "improvised weapon" stuff like that? using enemies (and/or scenery objects) as weapons is always fun. :twisted:
I have to second this. How awesome would it not be to grab one of those lampposts out of it's socket and start brutalising zombies with it? :twisted:
It would be cool where he be able to make it like in killzone, you see the marines arms grabbing it.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

@doomer1: In the earlier versions of the mod, Green and Blue blood were spawned in the same proportions as Red blood, and it looked over-coloured like Halo. That's why those monsters with green and blue blood causes less blood and gore spawns than red-blooded monsters :wink:

All the repported stuff will be fixed on 0.9
About the improvised weapons like using lampposts and such stuff, I will keep it for 0.10. In 0.9, I will focus on fixing the existing bugs first.

Keep the comments and suggestions comming up!
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:@doomer1: In the earlier versions of the mod, Green and Blue blood were spawned in the same proportions as Red blood, and it looked over-coloured like Halo. That's why those monsters with green and blue blood causes less blood and gore spawns than red-blooded monsters :wink:

All the repported stuff will be fixed on 0.9
About the improvised weapons like using lampposts and such stuff, I will keep it for 0.10. In 0.9, I will focus on fixing the existing bugs first.

Keep the comments and suggestions comming up!
I wanna suggest plasma burning skills, for when you kill ANY monster, except for Cyberdemons and Spidermasterminds,Like the death for a BOF/Hellknight would be that the middle of their body burns open and the guts drop out of it..(Pretty sick mind i know >_<)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

What would be awesome... is to have several stages as discrete layers are burned off, the one underneath it too hard and wet and insulated to take damage without immediate exposure, until eventually the baron/knight collapses from lack of supporting muscle mass.

...and then the guts spill out.

Pity that it would take way more sprites than any reasonable person is willing to draw. :V
Sergeant_Mark_IV

@Vaecrius, indeed. On 0.5 monsters were supposed to start having visual wounds, for example, if you shoot an enemy until his health gets under 40%, he will have wounds, severed parts like fingers or hands, reduced speed and continuous bleeding, but It took to me one week just to draw the imp and the demon sprites. Those things takes loots of work.

@TheMistress, yes, this is to be added. For 0.9, I will add the Mancubus, Arachnotron, and Revenant burn death animations.

I finished a new SVN build. I fixed some ugly bugs, like Barons hurting themselves with their projectiles, blue and green bloodsplashes in the screen when you fire so close to a cacodemon or HK/BOH, different blood collors for the chainsaw, fixed the infinite loop for Demon's arm, able to kick while reloading the SSG, fixed many other issues, also, some new features added, like, you now can shoot limbs in the ground, damaging it even more (e.g.: you can shoot an arm, amputating the hand from it), but this feature is still limited and only works on few limb parts. I still didn't tryed working on Spectre's new renderstyle like Xaser suggested, neither finished making shootable corpses for everyone. Those stuff will be included only in the oficial 09

Expect bugs. Please, repport them.

ST:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalDoom09Test2.zip
GZ:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalGZDoom09Test2.zip
Big C

Post by Big C »

Oh, wow. Just played some Ultimate DooM levels using this mod.

I have a new favorite mod now. :wub:

The 3D floorsplats were good, but it took a genius to make ceiling splats that dripped.

The chaingun is my favorite weapon now. Definitely has more OOMPH than the classic chaingun.

That much said, bugaboos, gripes and odd things:

-Once when I ironsighted with the rifle, the rifle would animate being raised but once it was raised it had the hipfire sprites. It didn't happen again. I think it only happened while ironsighting with less than a full magazine.
-Whenever something emits any sort of gib and I am next to it, it splash-damages me for no damage, pushing me away slightly but causing no HP drain. I don't know if this is intended or an accidental byproduct of something else.
-Can reload rifle and single-barrel shotgun when already fully loaded. Amusing side effect of being able to generate a large pile of discarded rifle magazines next to self at whim. Possibly bug, not a harmful one.
-I would recommend either changing the chainsaw-on-hard-surface sound or turning its volume way down. My delicate ears bleed like so many slain imps!
-Taunt alerts enemies. Probably not bugs. Too amusing to remove.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”