Brütal Doom v0.18

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
mckracken

Re: Brütal Doom v0.16 - Cruelty Bonus!

Post by mckracken »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:
mckracken wrote:what sounds even better is that those god damn imps finally take less often 2 shots from the shotgun.
To need 2 shotgun shots to kill an imp, you either must be trying to shoot them 30 meters away, or either missing the shots.
with missing you mean not shot them directly in the center at close range?
then that is a yes.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Guys, I need an opinion here.
Recently, I started to find the shotgun reloading time too long. It's specially stressful to reload when you are fighting a horde of enemies, and sometimes you have to fire one round, reload, fire one round again.

So, I got an idea. What about changing the ammo feeding system of the shotgun to use clips? Just one reload, and all ammo is back in. Just like the Serious Sam 3 shotgun.
Also, to prevent this reload system from making the shotgun overpower the SSG, I'm gonna double minimum range of the SSG's bonus damage dealt by point-blank shots. And of course, reloading the shotgun clip will take much longer than it takes to reload the rifle. Something like 4 or 5 seconds.

What do you have to say about this?
I have never had a problem with the reload speed of that weapon. The way you designed the gun (not sure if you realize this), is to use it as a mid-long range weapon and reload frequently, even during a fight. If you want to get good with this weapon, refer to my Shotgun Challenge on my sig. However if you alter it to use clips, I would probably not use the SSG ever because the new Pump Shotgun would be top tier for a shell based weapon. I would leave it as it is, unless you got more Shell based weapons in mind, and on the subject of new weapons...

How will you go about adding your 50 some-odd weapons to this MOD?
Will they be optional weapon packs?
Are they added all at once to the game?
Do we lose all of our weapons every level?
Are there new monsters holding these weapons?
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

wildweasel wrote:I'd "simplify" the reload, like in FEAR. Weapon drops down a bit to hide the actual movement, play some clicky noises (layer a bunch of them together, so it's unclear how many shells are being inserted), make the weapon dance around a bit, then raise it back up and pump.
Please don't.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Alternatively, just speed up the current reload speed to something like the reloading in Soldier of Fortune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0QGHd3xaM&t=1m40s
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

No magazine reloads for shotgun, it would only force you to have edits to a new shotgun sprite set. I also think it is fine the way it is as I just switch to a different weapon when the time arises. No "movement" noises as those are just as annoying as 'standard' (non organic) footsteps.

Keep the classic shotguns the way they are please.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

LkMax wrote:Alternatively, just speed up the current reload speed to something like the reloading in Soldier of Fortune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0QGHd3xaM&t=1m40s
Something like this would probably be the easiest and best option. Admittedly I'm not very familiar with Doom coding but could you shorten the reload animation to play like this, going off the SSHR group of sprites and only loading two shells in the example, 0 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8 and removing several frames from the overall animation. I'd also like to say I think it'd be great to make this optional as well for I have no problems with the current reload either and just quickly switch to the Chaingun in an overwhelming horde situation.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Seconding Mr. Chris.

Also adding that players are beings that need not to be coddled, but soundly thrashed for the insolence of daring to play one's mod. That reloading stress is a good thing.

EDIT: Also why did I spend an entire minute in giggling fits after a moment's sudden vivid mental image of Brutal Chex?
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

on the subject of subtle footsteps: im all for that.
most other doom enhancers have it - its giving you the feeling that you are a human and not a train moving on rails. :)

compared to the rifle, the shotgun is a bit more powerful, but not enough - especially if you consider reload time. (which interrupts gameplay action greatly as youve said yourself)
Last edited by mckracken on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
BoraxKid

Post by BoraxKid »

Leave the shotgun reloading the way it was, but the footsteps however sounds like a great idea!
PaskaTykki

Post by PaskaTykki »

Dont change shotgun reload system. Im never have problem shotgun reload. When reload shotgun, i just dodge enemys attacks, take cover or switch weapon.
mckracken wrote:what sounds even better is that those god damn imps finally take less often 2 shots from the shotgun.
Strange. I kill Imp often 1 shotgun shot.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I'm all for the shotgun change, as it is I think it's too powerful, leaving the double shotgun in the dust.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

I agree with Mr. Chris. I really don't even see why it would be worth it. I like the shotgun the way it is.
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

anyone else thinks the zombiemen should miss every third or so shot instead of hitting you all the time at UV?
Thats also why you constantly hear the doomguys pain grunts, because they hit you all the time.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

And of course, reloading the shotgun clip will take much longer than it takes to reload the rifle. Something like 4 or 5 seconds.
I've timed the current shotgun reload. Just under 3 seconds from empty to full.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

BoraxKid wrote:Leave the shotgun reloading the way it was, but the footsteps however sounds like a great idea!
That would get on my nerves VERY quickly.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”